The Series 2 Club Forum
March 25, 2019, 01:48:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Series 2 Club website

Login with username, password and session length
News: Spring is here ...

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  |  Home  
Author Topic: New leaf springs  (Read 1279 times)
jdodd1
S2C member
Leaf spring tester

« on: January 13, 2019, 09:34:05 PM »

I need to replace the leaf springs on my rebuild Project as the old ones are rusted And have a few broken leaves, so I was just wondering which are the best ones to go for ? I want to keep the vehicle standard and original so don’t want parabolics. Where is the best place to get new springs from?

Cheers, James
vod80
S2C member
Swivel expert

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 11:02:42 PM »

I've not bought springs off them but I needed some U bolts and the service I had from Jones Springs was really good. They certainly knew what they were talking about and went out of their way to help me.

https://www.jones-springs.co.uk/

Cheers, Tony
nathanglasgow
S2C member
Leaf spring tester

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 11:32:47 PM »

I looked at Jones springs for a set to suit a S2a Swb but just couldn't justify the cost. Just the right side of £600 excluding delivery. Went for the Paddocks supplied ones at £350 all in Inc delivery. Been on for over a year now and satisfied with them. No doubt Jones ones are likely better quality but just too much for my budget.

Ex military 1967 Rover 10
1979 Series 3 SWB
1970 lwb ex Singer Sewing Machine factory fire appliance
jdodd1
S2C member
Leaf spring tester

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 08:30:52 AM »

Interesting, I wonder how much difference there is in build quality between the paddocks set and Jones springs? Would the higher quality jutisfythuch larger price tag?
jeremy
Green Bible basher

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 09:17:48 AM »

I've used a number of Paddocks springs - all of which seem satisfactory.  Near and offside have different numbers and the offside ones correctly have been slightly taller when stood on the ground.

Of course there's always the consideration that something is re-assuringly expensive.
TimV
S2C member
Chassis bush basher

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 05:30:07 PM »

Someone may be converting to parabolics, and may have their old springs available - I got a nearly new set for not a lot. Why not put a wanted add in?

Tim
Farmer's blue S3, also BSA Bantam D3 plunger 1956
ferretjuggler
S2C member
Master of the Oils

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 05:47:06 PM »

Of course there's always the consideration that something is re-assuringly expensive.
Yes, once upon a time I had a father in law like that.
Paid a fortune to have his Ford Cortina resprayed, but refused to believe that the rotten wings needed replacement, because the man at the body shop said they didn't   stars
And obviously somewhere that expensive must know exactly what they are talking about   thud
porkscratching
Hub seal supremo

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 04:42:45 PM »

Good to know the current Paddocks offerings are usable these days, I may need a front pair at some point, presumably you can get a front (or rear) pair rather than a whole set nixweiss
jeremy
Green Bible basher

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 04:48:59 PM »

I've bought front and back from them at different times without problems.  They're not sold as sets and qualify for free shipping. (Subject to price rules)
jdodd1
S2C member
Leaf spring tester

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 05:42:47 PM »

Interesting, anyone had the paddocks springs on for a long time?? Would like to know how they hold up with age/mileage. Are they identical to the originals or are they slightly different on appearance?
MWAD7
S2C member
Chassis bush basher

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 08:36:52 AM »

I have Paddocks on the rear and wish I hadn’t.

Firstly, I had to send one back as the spring-eyes had been un-sympathetically formed around the bushes. The bushes were mis-shaken when (finally) extracted and the spring-eyes unsuitable for the poly’s I wanted to fit. The other spring was OK but the replacement I was sent was marginal (I used it in the end).

After all that, both springs sat low with the shackles too far back and threatening the bolt heads to kiss the chassis under load (they don’t, but it looks close). Without the ability of conventional metalastic bushes to hide such issues, the vehicle also settled visibly lower on the near side.

This is all on an unmolestted Richards chassis - so I presume all the geometry and dimensions are correct (no random spring hanger locations after MOT bodges....)

Both springs were clearly marked and fitted to the correct sides.

Given the spring-eye issues, I suspect I just got a batch knocked up on the Friday that just happened to coincide with the YTS trainees 18th Birthday. I missed the opportunity to make some kind of claim against the warranty - partly as I couldn’t face doing it all again so soon and partly as I had more pressing PO issues to resolve and seemed to spend almost every waking moment under the vehicle.

The long and short of this is - quality may vary even if other owners have had no issues with a particular brand - and if you are not happy, do something about it while you still have recourse to warranties etc.
MWAD7
S2C member
Chassis bush basher

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 08:54:51 AM »

Soooo.....

The topic came up at the dinner table last night as my partner had offered to give me part of a small dividend windfall towards something else and I said i’d Prefer to replace the front springs which are effectively solid, despite my best efforts with penetrating oils, road humps etc...

The current price of a set from Paddocks - including shipping - is £350 - free shipping and inclusive of VAT. Jones (any discount codes out there?) are £618 - which includes a fairly hefty £54 of shipping as you pay for each spring rather than a grouped shipment, it seems...

On the plus side, I guess (as they’re made to order?) that I could ask Jones to save me a bit of effort by not fitting bushes. Feels a bit like the std. vs stainless exhaust debate though - aside from the hassle of more frequent replacement, will you get payback (freedom of movement, lack of sag?) from the more expensive option to justify the premium?
porkscratching
Hub seal supremo

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 01:19:54 PM »

Yikes! I assume paddock's 350£ tally is a full set not just a front pair...? agh
crumbly65
SpannerFingered Incompetent
S2C member
Leaf spring tester

1959 Series 2 2286 3MB Petrol

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 01:29:04 PM »

I fitted Paddock springs, (and a new set of dampers), about 13 years ago if my memory serves me well.  

They've been fine.  I recently wire-brushed the springs and gave them a good spray with Motorcycle chain grease.  I've done around 20,000 miles since they were fitted, mainly on-road, with no problems.  Done a little off-roading, and carried some pretty heavy loads, and haven't broken any leaves or anything.

That's just my experience.  I can't speak for the consistency of quality of Paddock's springs, maybe I got a good batch, and maybe others didn't.  Maybe it's the consistency of quality that you pay for with somebody like Jones' Springs......?

MWAD7
S2C member
Chassis bush basher

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 01:43:30 PM »

Porkscratching - yes £350 buys you a full set of 88 springs, delivered.

Crumbly - yep, i’m not one to scream that a certain product/brand is all bad just one one small sample. I suspect that I literally did bad-luck into a duff batch. Paddocks have cut their range down a bit in the 18 mo this or so since I got these - at the time you could buy their own UK springs or foreign sourced ones for a bit less. Now it looks as if they only do UK ones - but no longer (?) market them as their own?
porkscratching
Hub seal supremo

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2019, 02:00:36 PM »

That's ok then! My fronts will live on for a bit longer but when I do need to replace them I'll chance a pair of Paddocks finest wink
jeremy
Green Bible basher

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2019, 03:13:37 PM »

Looks like Paddocks springs have got a whole lot more expensive!
oilstain
S2C member
Master of the Oils

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 12:18:48 PM »

Some years ago I bought some standard springs from paddocks and they were rubbish, but I got a refund and bought Rocky Mountain which are good on the 11a. I much latter bought standard springs from paddocks again for a 86” and they are OK, much better than the first set. I think in future I would buy anther set of standard springs from paddocks rather than parabolic as whilst parabolic are good I don’t think they live up to the reputation they once had which I think was gained by people comparing old rusty standard type springs or far eastern sourced springs with parabolic and not New standard British springs with new parabolic. I will need another set soon for another 86” and wonder if standard type is the right choice nixweiss

Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
Williammac
S2C member
Engaging low box

1962 88" 2a, 1978 ex-MoD 109"...both dented

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2019, 01:48:12 PM »

I've just fitted Paddock's UK made springs to my 88 - I'm happy with them...

Although whether they will last as long as the British Springs (who I think are now defunct?) I fitted to my 109 over 20 years ago remains to be seen.
kevthewart
GENIUS,,,,
S2C member
Leaf spring tester

oh dear , i broke it , AGAIN

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2019, 08:35:14 AM »

Jdodd1

Why don’t you just remove  , revive , replace your old springs
putting in new old leaves as necessary .

It’s not difficult and will save you a fortune , it also makes you
feel warm and fuzzy on the inside ...

A bit like ( I did that all by myself , aren’t I clever  Banana )

Just saying what I would do , coz I hate spending money especially
that kind of money  agh

Kev

RAINBOW WARRIOR 
porkscratching
Hub seal supremo

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2019, 10:02:35 AM »

I certainly rebuilt a set of rears successfully, even making new clips, the bolt on top type, as originals were past it.
Tbh my fronts may be a bit beyond it, I may keep Look out for a used pair to do the same with.
The rebuild idea is a good point to raise..
MWAD7
S2C member
Chassis bush basher

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2019, 08:43:06 AM »

Well, I’ve ordered Jones. Partly as - in years to come - I’m hoping/expecting that I will be able to clean and refurbish them. I redid my Sankey springs just fine.

My current cheapo springs don’t have the bolt/ferrule clips, so would need those to be butchered/replaced....(?)
Manxcat
S2C member
Master of the Oils

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2019, 09:50:08 AM »

Well, I’ve ordered Jones. Partly as - in years to come - I’m hoping/expecting that I will be able to clean and refurbish them. I redid my Sankey springs just fine.

My current cheapo springs don’t have the bolt/ferrule clips, so would need those to be butchered/replaced....(?)

What are you planning to do with your old springs once you have the Jones springs fitted?

SO224350 SO036206

"It is chelation by the oligosaccharides"
MWAD7
S2C member
Chassis bush basher

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2019, 08:38:55 AM »

...good question.

I would say the diesel fronts are actually in ok condition - but with my road use and petrol engine, they’re just not getting the exercise they need to function as springs. The rears have sat lower than ideal (particularly on passenger side) from day one. They might be of more use on a SWB with a tilt and little junk in the tub!

Probably end up offering them locally...
Manxcat
S2C member
Master of the Oils

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2019, 08:58:30 AM »

Who lives locally...
Old Hywel
S2C member
Hub seal supremo

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2019, 09:10:47 AM »

Who lives locally...

Very subtle. whistle
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  |  Home  

Jump to:  

If anyone has concerns about any of the postings here, please contact the Forum Administrator.
Please read our posting guidelines in the Terms of Use and our Disclaimer. The Series 2 Club Ltd. is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.
By using this Forum you agree to our use of cookies as described in our Privacy Policy.
The Best Theme Green