August 22, 2019, 08:10:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Series 2 Club website

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please register for our new forum at:-
 www.series2club.co.uk/new_forum/index.php

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  |  Home  
Author Topic: The Aunt ... maybe time to part?  (Read 3464 times)
w3526602
S2C member
Green Bible basher

« on: January 31, 2019, 12:13:52 PM »

Hi,

This is going to hurt ... but suspect the decision is going to be forced on me.

Many of you will have noticed that Barbara has a mangled right arm (an amazing number don't notice). This was down to the midwife at a private clinic  (No NHS in 1942) twisting her about a bit during delivery, and it taking three days before anybody noticed, by which time it was too late to put matters right.  So ... no right shoulder, unable to staighten right elbow beyond 90 degrees, right hand dangles from the wrist, but she can hold it up once she has lifted it with her other hand.  She has always denied that she is disabled.

I've even had her on the back of a 15hh "nag" for a three hour trek at "Stan's"Trekking Centre near Swansea.

I taught her to drive in a Sunbeam Talbot 90, on Penang Island, followed by various cars when we returned to UK. I paid for her to have ONE professional lesson, before taking/passing her UK test in my rusty Mini, in South Norwood.

She has owned a Reliant Sabre 6GT (did some Grass Auto Tests) and a TVR 1600 Vixen (Edmunds Classic Ralley in South Wales).  And then there was her Honda CRX ("I clocked you at 101mph ... don't let me catch you again!")

I will forget the incident in which the Sergeant told me to get my wife "out of his sight ... and he would say no more about the matter". The three of us were standing in the middle of the M4 at the time, traffic passing both sides ... juniour PCs sniggering into their note-books.

But, seventy-seven years is taking it's toll. (Is it really that long?) She can probably still drive The Aunt, (although she finds the steering too heavy for comfort), but clambering into either front seat is becoming too much of an effort.

So sadly, I think The Aunt's days with us are numbered.  But what is she worth? Answers on a postcard. (I won't be too silly, might even consider a swap)

I would like another early Disco. Or perhaps a LWB Zuke estate ... do any still remain?  Suggestions? Offers?

Barbara has just bought herself a new Hyundai I20 .... which probably precludes her from buying me a new 4x4 from the same maker. Doh!
w3526602
S2C member
Green Bible basher

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 05:28:34 PM »

Hi,

Read 96 times (it says) but no reponses. I must be doing it wrong. nixweiss

geoff
Green Bible basher

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 05:41:13 PM »

Nothing wrong John just hard to value - unique  tiphat

Perhaps photos and spec might help folks remember your vehicle better ..... sorry to hear of your woes.
p4t
Hub seal supremo

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 06:06:12 PM »

Yes photos would be great.
limestone69
Engaging low box

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 06:50:55 PM »

I'm sorry you're faced with that decision. I have a few small bikes that need to go. I'm old enough now, that falling off one is something to worry about.

As for the Aunt, I'll be interested to see what she looks like. I've read a number of threads that mention 'soggy cardboard', assuming I don't have you confused with someone else...
w3526602
S2C member
Green Bible basher

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 07:37:26 PM »

Hi Limestone,

No soggy cardboard.

A 1959 109" rebuilt onto a new Richards galvanised chassis some (?) years ago.

Petrol engine, I think the original engine, l but can't swear to my memory being correct. Second thoughts, I think the original engine was rusted solid, so I found anotherengine. I'll check the engine numbers.

Galvanised bulkhead. Memory confused on that too ... I thought I had fabricated a new bulkhead from RHS, but a quick glance says senility aproaches ... it looks like a factory job.

New cushions and squabs for two outer seats, but no middle seat (where would Wilky sleep?).

Galvanised radiator panel. New underseat fuel tank. I think new shock absorbers all round. I think new prop-shafts fitted during the rebuild.

No ... no good, mempories are failing me. I was born in 1939, The Aunt was born in 1959.

Regretfully, I chopped the rear tub, fitted a fabricated timber box, with drop-sides ... lots of load space, but not too pretty ... great if you want a carry a couple of tons of hay. I'd suggest getting another tub, burn the paint off with a blow lamp, wire brush, then wire wool.

I'll try to take some photos tomorrow. She's been standing for a couple of weeks, but I anticipate her starting without any difficulty.

AlexB
S2C member
Master of the Oils

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 07:50:06 PM »

She does sound very tempting

Alex
1971 Dormobile
1959 88 Project
1972 Citroen Ami Break
1963 Fordson Super Dexta

"Ne jetez plus ! Ce qui est inutile pour vous, est utile pour les autres" Abbé Pierre
Romahomepete
S2C member
Master of the Oils

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 07:59:01 PM »

Advertsie it as a trayback.

Peter

A Yorkshire man on missionary duty in Lancashire
w3526602
S2C member
Green Bible basher

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 10:37:01 PM »

Hi,

I'll try to take some up to date pictures tomorrow.

I've been impressed with Barbara's Hyundai I20 ... which is of course, new. A quick shufti through Ebay indicates that biggish Hyundai 4x4s are available for not a lot of money, but of course they will not be newish. I'll take another shufti tomorrow.

I'm getting too old to enjoy rolling in the gutter.

w3526602
S2C member
Green Bible basher

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 09:20:37 AM »

Hi,

Photos to follow of The Aunt as she stands (OK she is full of clutter to take to the tip ... which probably includes a lot of soden cardboard boxes.  Sides slide off, leaving you with an uncluttered 6ft by 5ft platform ... I recon she'll carry a ton of hay without breaking sweat (yours or hers)  Er, is it 20 or 40 bales to the ton? Gone are the days when my milkman's son would roll up in his HGV, and throw bales of hay out just a smidgen faster than I could move them into my shed. (My milkman was a veteran of the Japanese Railway, and still suffering the effects)  ... The police rolled up at his farm one day, told him he must not drive his HGV cattle box when rolling drunk, but they would turn a blind eye to him driving his small van.  "Policing with a heart" ... nobody complained.

w3526602
S2C member
Green Bible basher

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 07:06:22 PM »

Hi,

Photos of The Aunt ... which may not reflect the rear tub arrangement currently fitted. Was new exhaust. New heavy duty track rods. New shock absorbers. New fuel tank (I think). New lamps all round (I think). New shock absorbers. New hydraulics and Braided brake hoses. New drums. New distibutor. I think a new clutch

New Richards chassis. Most paint removed from body. New outer seats, no middle seat.

Doh! I can't find many suitable pictures, I'll try to take some more tomorrow. I try to be ruthlessly honest when selling vehicles, but age is playing silly sods with my memory.

Double Doh! Memory is failing me. I'll take a walk around her with notebook and camera
w3526602
S2C member
Green Bible basher

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2019, 09:37:19 AM »

Hi,

Is one of these Item #332962781048 more livable with than a Series? How high does one have to hitch one's bum to reach the cushions? How cramped once you are in? I'm guessing I'd need a trailer ... what weight will a Zuke tow?

Or should I just start to act my age?

602 (1939 model)
w3526602
S2C member
Green Bible basher

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 09:51:20 AM »

PS,

Based in Little Addington? I'm sure I've seen that on a map somewhere near Milton Keynes???

The only Addington that I actually know is between Croydon and Biggin Hill ... where, in a previous life I picked up a 12 year old boy who had been strangled and left for dead ... his eyes were completely bloodshot. They arrested the perp the following day ... they knew his first name and birthday ... he had previous.

"Attempted murder? Thank God, I though I'd killed him!".

« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 06:31:47 PM by scotty38 » Logged
Gres
Swivel expert

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 10:27:37 AM »

Hi,

Is one of these Item #332962781048 more livable with than a Series? How high does one have to hitch one's bum to reach the cushions? How cramped once you are in? I'm guessing I'd need a trailer ... what weight will a Zuke tow?

Or should I just start to act my age?

602 (1939 model)

They're just like mini Land Rovers but a little lighter and more civilised to drive, even down to the complete lack of elbow room for the drivers right arm!

My parents are looking for one as their next, and probably last vehicle. There are loads about, corrosion seems to be their biggest issue.

Act your shoe size, not your age!

This forum wouldn't be half as interesting without your stories and input!   RHD
glenanderson
S2C member
Master of the Oils

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 10:52:38 AM »

I’d have a Jimny as a second car, without any hesitation.

In fact, I’m seriously considering buying a new one anyway, even though I can neither afford nor justify one at the moment. The waiting list is not going to be short though.

My worst worry about dying is my wife selling my stuff for what I told her it cost...
Worf
S2C member
Hub seal supremo

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2019, 11:18:32 AM »

Had a test drive in a new Jimny a couple of weeks ago. Pulls well in all gears but a fair bit of gear whine compared to a eurobox. Feels quite sturdy for its size, but really only a 2 seater if you need to carry anything. Plenty of toys. Easy to get in and out of because of the 2 large doors. Could really do with an overdrive to handle longer journeys, and the engine feels it could cope with it. Overall I was quite impressed, but the waiting list will be long as each dealer is apparently only allocated another TWO for this year! The 2 demonstrators the dealer got in January were sold before they arrived.

If you can find one to buy you could probably run it for a year and then sell it for what you paid for it, if you didn't like it.

"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an-appen nob'dee 'll notice."
glenanderson
S2C member
Master of the Oils

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2019, 11:27:16 AM »

If you can find one to buy you could probably run it for a year and then sell it for what you paid for it, if you didn't like it.

I’m sure you’re right.

My current circumstances mean that I’ll not be doing anything this year other than putting a chunk of time and money into my 109” to bring it back up to scratch.

jeremy
Green Bible basher

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2019, 11:49:18 AM »

If you're buying a 2 door car of any description - make sure you can get in and out when its parked.  My Wife has a 2 door 206 - and concedes that even for her its a real pain at times - and she's small.
w3526602
S2C member
Green Bible basher

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2019, 12:06:53 PM »

This forum wouldn't be half as interesting without your stories and input!  

Hi Gres,

Thankyou for the nice words. I DO try not to be too boring ... still get frowned at from time to time.

RAF Sharjah (two hoots and a holler from Dubai) , 1960, mid-morning tea break ......

Rat.... tat ... tat ...tat!

A few minutes later, an orderly appeared on a bicycle, pinned up a notice to say there would be a meeting of officers to discuss the illegal firing of a Hunter's cannon (while on the ground).  I think a Hunter had four 32mm cannon ... giving 2000 rounds per minute. Luckily, the shells went over the village, into the Persian Gulf.

Apparently, the plane landed, electrician climbed in, tested the firing circuits. What should have happened is that an armourer should have first disarmed the guns.

One evening, a Snowdrop came into our billet, looking for a friend of the vehicle electician. Apparently, he had had a few bevvies, and was riding a bike up and down the runway, chased by the police Land Rover, while a Britannia circled overhead, waiting to land.

One day, driving out of Dubai in a Bedford RL, my passengers demanded that I turned round and had another go. Something to do with Macknoon (sp?) Mary working on a building site ... wearing nothing but a pair of shorts. It had been many months since most of us ladss had seen a woman's face without a yashmac .... let alone the rest of her.

One night, commotion in the billet, Fagin (the dog) having a go at somebody. Fagin did not like strangers.

"I'm your Commanding Officer!"

"Are you ****!"

Torches were switched on, revealing our CO, starkers, trying to fight Fagin off with the towel that should have beenj round his waist. Apparently one of our RAF drivers had been drinking with a couple of squaddies, decided the RAF CO needed sorting out. As they were climbing in through his window, the CO woke up and challenged them. The squaddies melted into the desert, as they are trained. Our driver headed for the billets, ran through the bog block, then into the billet, yanked the table across the middle of the room, dropped his shorts and jumped into bed.

The CO dashed in, pitch black, collided with the table, woke Fagin ... who joined in.

"Who's that?"

"I'm your Commanding Officer!"

"Are you ****!"

Torches were lit .... to reaveal the CO .... starkers ... fighting  off Fagin, with the towel that should have been round his waist.

Happy days. Our lad got seven days in a cell, but they let him out after a couple of days. Not right that he should enjoy air-conditioning, while the rest of us had to make do with a couple of ceiling fans in a 40 bed billet, temperature in three figures.

A Snowdrop came into our billet one evening, looking for a friend of the MT electrian. Apparently Sparky was blind drunk riding a bicycle up and down the runway, pursued by a police Land Rover .... while a Britannia circled overhead, waiting to land.  Small world ... I met Sparky about ten years later while driving a mini-cab in South London.

One day, having nothing better to do, I dived into the empty swimming pool. OK, not quite empty ... about two and a half foot of water, when there should have been ten feet. First time. I managed to flop it. Not a problem. Somehow, I got it wrong the second time ... broke my nose. It's still bendy.

PS, thanks for replies about the Zuke. Plenty of old ones on Ebay, for not a lot of money. Warning about size noted. I'll have a think. Funds could probably run to a new one, but that may not be sensible, might lead to divorce.

PPS. When Barbara was Contracts Manager at the Giant Cheesegrater, she was authorised to spend up to twenty million on her own signature ... she said it ruined her housekeeping skills.  While we were in Malaya (RAAF Butterworth, living on Penang Island for two years) she managed to save more than I would have been paid in UK.

PS Jeremy,

Point taken. I noticed a long time ago that there a 4-doors, and 2-doors (which are longer) and van doors which are often the same legth as the front doors of four-door cars .... but not always.

Genocache
S2C member
Hub seal supremo

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2019, 07:50:39 PM »

I like your stories too. Different times, eh!? You might as well get the Zuk as you won't be able to buy any new UK built Nissan X-Trails.........those look like all the other SUVs anywho......

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.
Land Rover owner since 1973.
109 blog; poppageno.blogspot.com
w3526602
S2C member
Green Bible basher

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2019, 05:16:20 PM »

PPS. When Barbara was Contracts Manager at the Giant Cheesegrater, she was authorised to spend up to twenty million pounds on her own signature

Hi,

One morning, Barbara woke up, almost in tears. She explained  that she had authorised payment of the DVLA telephone bill, but had not posted it.

"So send it today"

"They will charge us interest. I might as well resign".

"When was it due?"

"Monday"    it was now Friday.

"So send it today"

"They'll charge us interest!"

"How much was the bill?"

"£12,000,000!"

"Ah .....!"

In the event, she arrived at work, to find that somebody had sent the payment ... but never found out who.  nixweiss Maybe she did send it herself.

It was generally accepted that it cost about £17 to draft a letter, get it typed, checked, and posted. Us staff were insturucted to use the phone to talk to Joe Public whenever possible.

w3526602
S2C member
Green Bible basher

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2019, 06:17:10 PM »

Hi,

What do we know about the Suzuki Vitara ... are they still in production/any left on the road?

The Bedford 4x4 "J$$$" (forgot it's name) does not appeal.

Disco's appeal, but just a little complicated for these old bones (80 in March) ... if anything big goes wrong.

Mahindras are too primative. Horrible.

Range Rover? Don't know enough about old ones.

I still regret buying an of Mitsubishi.

Brain storm ... please.

PS ... I have £3000 in mind for the Aunt, but don't hold me to that. Better to sell, than have a truck that is too expensive for everybody elses pockets
glenanderson
S2C member
Master of the Oils

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2019, 06:27:49 PM »

You’ve had nearly 900 views.

Get some pictures up man, for Pete's sake!
scotty
Over them there hills!!
Leaf spring tester

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2019, 06:54:51 PM »

Hi 602  tiphat have you looked at a Daihatsu Terios my mum had a brand new 1.5 auto in 2007/8 and I really liked it, I thought it drove nicely, mum felt it was a little underpowered on the motorway but for A & B roads it was fine, might be worth a look, she replaced it at 3 years old for a new Nissan Juke  thud which I thought was *&%^$# terrible, uncomfortable dreadful ride quality, good luck with your search,  cheers_man Paul ps photos please of yours if you can  wink
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 07:00:55 PM by Wittsend » Logged

geoff
Green Bible basher

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2019, 07:17:05 PM »

.. she replaced it at 3 years old for a new Nissan Juke  thud which I thought was *&%^$# terrible, uncomfortable dreadful ride quality

My grandson had one and called it ( without affection ) the Nissan Joke  shakinghead  he sold it in quick order  wine
Romahomepete
S2C member
Master of the Oils

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2019, 07:19:23 PM »

Joh, my son has a LWB Vitara as a motability car but my choice would be a Jimny, you will not get a new one of course because they are all spoken for.

Peter
Genocache
S2C member
Hub seal supremo

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2019, 07:41:37 PM »

1 word.....Uber.
w3526602
S2C member
Green Bible basher

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2019, 08:11:45 PM »

Hi All,

Suzukis ZUKES seem to take the vote, so I'm tempted to go that way. There is a Zuke specialist not too many miles away, from MK, with trucks starting in the high hundreds, tailing off below two grand  I think we must go take a look sometime soon (although we are staying with out daughter, in Bletchley) for a couple of days.  I'd also like to investigate the Vitara.

A Discos still appeal, and have lots going for them, but I'm feeling too old to want to pull large lumps of engine out from under the bonnet. Finding a reliable Disco may be more difficult than expected. And it would probably need an elevating step for Barbara.

I am thinking of looking for about £3,000 for The Aunt, and would be happy to drive her anywhere after checking the dip-stick. Is she woth more? Dunno! But I see no point in keeping a vehicle that Barbara can't climb into.  That figure is not written in stone until I have decided what to replace her with.

w3526602
S2C member
Green Bible basher

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2019, 08:21:53 PM »

Hi,

What's the difference between Suzuki Vitaras and Grand Vitaras? Again, they seem to be for sale for not a lot of money.

Item #173766755013

mistericeman
Leaf spring tester

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2019, 03:06:11 AM »

Kia Sportage ....Great value for money and Excellent build quality/reliability as well as being very nice to drive  nixweiss
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  |  Home  

Jump to:  

If anyone has concerns about any of the postings here, please contact the Forum Administrator.
Please read our posting guidelines in the Terms of Use and our Disclaimer. The Series 2 Club Ltd. is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.
By using this Forum you agree to our use of cookies as described in our Privacy Policy.
The Best Theme Green