The Series 2 Club Forum
May 23, 2019, 08:39:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Series 2 Club website

Login with username, password and session length
News: Rain coming ...

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  |  Home  
Author Topic: Completely OT - New Technology.  (Read 918 times)
g6anz
Hub seal supremo

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2019, 11:28:29 AM »

True, but this forum doesn't need the absolute latest tech to access. It could 'probably' be used with a BBC micro and a dialup modem. I'm not decrying technology itself just when it takes over and the user becomes too reliant on it.

She'll be right mate, no worries
Wittsend
Administrator ...
who is all knowing

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2019, 11:40:36 AM »

Hats off to anyone using valves and relays to read this  tiphat

S2 Club member 980 and carer for    and Panda Po the SWB camper

g6anz
Hub seal supremo

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2019, 12:02:44 PM »

Colossus ?
http://www.tnmoc.org/explore/colossus-gallery
Given time, space and money it could be done.
Nanuq
Chassis bush basher

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2019, 04:03:54 PM »

Hats off to anyone using valves and relays to read this

I haven't quite figured out how to view it on my smartphone, but I'm sure it can be done. 

Manxcat
S2C member
Master of the Oils

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2019, 04:11:45 PM »

New technology is my livelihood, old technology is my passion. I need both.

I get great joy from using things well past their design life. Sometime this requires new and old to work in harmony. My trade in electronics design has allowed me to achieve this. I have a 50+ year old TV that is capable of receiving a digital signal. I have a 1955 radiogram that is dab capable. Somehow the smell of hot dusty valves and the line whistle of an old tv seem to enhance the watching experience for me. Something not understood by SWMBO and the offspring. So we also have a spangly new smart tv. With ultra high definition. I find it very harsh to sit and stare at for any length of time. It also seems to require an insane amount of button pushes to navigate from the home screen to actually watching a program. I miss the days when things had one job and did that one job well. You would switch it on and it was ready to perform it’s intended function.

I find cars the same, they are just like smart TVs in the way they are trying to be everything at once. I don’t need my tv to be a computer and I don’t need my car to be one either. SWMBO can’t understand why I have not connected my phone to my modern car, but to me a car is not a telephone and if anybody wants to talk to me they can wait until I get there.

But all that said, itis electric and self driving cars that are keeping my in my job. And I love my job.

SO224350 SO036206

"It is chelation by the oligosaccharides"
porkscratching
Master of the Oils

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2019, 02:23:31 PM »

At least no pesky plastic keys to fly off..,
GreasedMonkey
Leaf spring tester

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2019, 04:41:59 PM »

Not today (iPhone) but I can do. I have a 70’s tv that I have used as a pc display in the past.

Oops. I broke it again.
GreasedMonkey
Leaf spring tester

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2019, 04:55:19 PM »

Greased Monkey, are you on the vintage wireless forum? I ask as having a 50 year old TV is fairly unique. I tried to keep our CRT TV for as long as I could but family pressure forced me to get a flat thing.

I can sometimes be found lurking on the vintageradio and VRAT forums.

On the subject of new technology, a friend of mine wheeled his modern car into his local (and trusted) mechanic as he was getting sludge in the coolant header tank. Diagnosis, failed head gasket. Cost of repair £1200.00 as long as nothing else is found while they are in there. I very much like the fact that we can still get a head gasket set for 15 quid and put it all together with a pretty basic tool kit.

I never got the whole steampunk thing. Seems to me to be a case of destroying often perfectly serviceable old tech just to stick bits of it to modern stuff.  I enjoy using things that most folk would have sent to landfill long ago. I really don’t like the throw away mentality which has taken over. I hear people around me complaining about the loss of plastic disposable drinking strawers, to me it is no loss, I have not drank though a straw since I was about 6 years old.
porkscratching
Master of the Oils

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2019, 05:12:46 PM »

They don't want you to fix things, they want you to , a.. if it's a car take it to a main dealer to be *&%^$ raped for a load of money..
 or b.. if it's anything else throw it away and buy another flimsy p.o.s. replacement...
Wittsend
Administrator ...
who is all knowing

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2019, 05:24:06 PM »

Mr Spook's effort ...

porkscratching
Master of the Oils

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2019, 05:30:38 PM »

Remember that one, they went back to a 1920s world and had to bodge something out of then available stuff..to contact the Enterprise or something... brilliant!.. tiphat
HWE108N
S2C member
Leaf spring tester

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2019, 05:44:14 PM »

They don't want you to fix things, they want you to , a.. if it's a car take it to a main dealer to be *&%^$ raped for a load of money..
 or b.. if it's anything else throw it away and buy another flimsy p.o.s. replacement...

If it's a car over five years old B is the preferred option for most manufacturers by the attitude of many, and a lot of buyers are quite happy with this situation, or so it seems shakinghead.

Of course if we all bought only one new car which was 'built to last' a lifetime (or more) the motor industry would soon suffer, as would any manufacturing industry if the same applied to other goods, which is why we have so much disposable *&%^$ (plus most are brainwashed into the Cult of New and wouldn't keep old stuff even if it still works).
w3526602
S2C member
Green Bible basher

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2019, 05:51:27 PM »

Hi,

Wayback in the 1950s, possibly 1960s, there was a Sci-fi serial on BBC radio, called Rocketship to Mars. The crew spoke to Earth by radio ...,which required somebody else to pedal (as in bicycle) the dynamo.

The "thick plotttened" when the crew realised that Earth's replies were instantaneous. The radio signals should have taken several minutes each way.

porkscratching
Master of the Oils

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2019, 06:08:27 PM »

If it's a car over five years old B is the preferred option for most manufacturers by the attitude of many, and a lot of buyers are quite happy with this situation, or so it seems shakinghead.

Of course if we all bought only one new car which was 'built to last' a lifetime (or more) the motor industry would soon suffer, as would any manufacturing industry if the same applied to other goods, which is why we have so much disposable *&%^$ (plus most are brainwashed into the Cult of New and wouldn't keep old stuff even if it still works).
They've all got way too much money to waste obviously... wink
GreasedMonkey
Leaf spring tester

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2019, 06:47:27 PM »

They've all got way too much money to waste obviously... wink

I think this is part of the problem. These days we all simply have too much stuff. The only way manufacturers can make money is by convincing us we need the latest version of a product. Currently I am using an iPhone, out of date according to many, but it won’t be replaced until it no longer functions, sure the newer versions probably have lots of interesting new features, but I do not “need” any of them. When this one gives up I will buy a second hand one, there are plenty of young lads at work that have to have the latest model phones, so plenty of cast offs for people like me to buy off them.

Fella next door has a shiny new mower every year, I have no idea what he does with the old ones, maybe he has a shed full of them, I find this quite ridiculous, 25 years ago someone had left a Suffolk punch petrol mower at the roadside for the bin men on the special collection week (back when that used to be a thing). I asked if I could take it and that was the last time I had a new mower. It still works so I have no need for a new one.

If everybody already has everything they need, then the marketing departments have to convince them that they really need that new type of screen, or the extra button they don’t currently have. If only SWMBO didn’t fall for it.
LowOil
S2C member
Swivel expert

« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2019, 07:45:37 PM »

Not sure I actually need a land rover but paying to keep it going stops be spending on the other stuff.
GreasedMonkey
Leaf spring tester

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2019, 09:12:59 PM »

Not sure I actually need a land rover but paying to keep it going stops be spending on the other stuff.

Everybody needs a hobby. Something we do because we want to, not because it makes any financial or practical sense.

That’s my excuse anyway.
Dentman
S2C member
Hub seal supremo

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2019, 10:36:25 PM »

It sounds me to see the stuff dumped at our Council  waste disposal facility (Rubbish  Dump)
Working bikes with surface rust on the rear mech say.
Now as a youth, if I "caught" a bike wheel fishing in the canal, I'd take it home to fit if it had more spokes than my own!

Why why why Delilah?
porkscratching
Master of the Oils

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2019, 11:42:13 PM »

My land rover's not a hobby, it's my only functional car!
I choose this route as I understand how it works and can generally fix it... none of which I could say about a modern vehicle.

It's amazing what people throw away nowadays, I've got some excellent stuff that I've rescued over the years..so in some ways throwaway world is good for the likes of me!
Dentman
S2C member
Hub seal supremo

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2019, 11:46:33 PM »

Like slightly  greyish patio sets you mean  nixweiss
Old Hywel
S2C member
Hub seal supremo

« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2019, 12:54:45 AM »

I dumped my auntie’s old microwave recently. (The food stayed cold and the casing heated agh)
I liberated a 4” angle grinder from the skip. Works well.
Dentman
S2C member
Hub seal supremo

« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2019, 09:22:40 AM »

Good swap!
porkscratching
Master of the Oils

« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2019, 09:39:18 AM »

How about this... I had to make a set of weights for it but after a clean and lube and slight adjustment, tick tock etc...
Nanuq
Chassis bush basher

« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2019, 05:07:08 PM »

My dad in his retirement would often find bicycles, mowers, snow blowers and Kirby vacuums set out for the trash man, and with permission, bring them home.  He would sit in the sun in the driveway cleaning and repairing them, and when kids came by to watch, if they'd help a little he'd give them the bike when finished.  Or he'd set the mowers out for sale, $25 and take your pick.  They all ran like a top.  He'd just as soon give them away, but needed to pay for the parts.  There's a lot of satisfaction in that.

About NOT updating your iPhone ... who else has a wife that thinks you're nuts?  Mine cannot fathom why I prefer to stay on 9.01
w3526602
S2C member
Green Bible basher

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2019, 05:29:18 PM »

Hats off to anyone using valves and relays to read this

Hi,

Some 70 years ago, I used to visit a friend, play with his crystal set (a radio with crystal and cat's whisker). I never heard a thing.

602 (still a techno-wimp)

PS ... I wonder if Google knows about these devices?
w3526602
S2C member
Green Bible basher

« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2019, 05:55:43 PM »

Hi,

Google does!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxhole_radio
w3526602
S2C member
Green Bible basher

« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2019, 06:17:52 PM »

Fella next door has a shiny new mower every year, I have no idea what he does with the old ones,

Hi,

He probably leaves it standing in his shed ... with the tank half full of lead-free petrol

He'd be better letting it tick-over until the tank is empty, use new petrol next year. nixweiss

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  |  Home  

Jump to:  

If anyone has concerns about any of the postings here, please contact the Forum Administrator.
Please read our posting guidelines in the Terms of Use and our Disclaimer. The Series 2 Club Ltd. is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.
By using this Forum you agree to our use of cookies as described in our Privacy Policy.
The Best Theme Green