S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for data about going electric.  (Read 1629 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Looking for data about going electric.
« on: March 04, 2022, 06:30:52 AM »

Hi,

I'm still trying to research what is sensible for me/us and in particular, WHEN to switch to battery power.

Just for starters, I found this  smidgen of advice, which I suspect may NOT be UK sourced.

Money-Saving Charging Tips

EV charging slows down dramatically for the last 20% of the battery capacity, so if you're paying by the minute at a public charging station, stop charging when your battery reaches 80% full.

Use EV phone apps to choose your charging start and stop times when electricity rates are lowest in your area.

Pre-heat your car on winter mornings while it is still plugged in, rather than heating it from the battery while you are driving.
.[/b]

I'm still investigating the cost of a "home charging" installation, maybe involving Solar Charging. It doesn't help that I don't know what I'm talking about.

There is about 100sq.ft of South facing, 45 degrees, roof on the back half of my garage, with no shadows at any time of the day, so ideal for solar panels, I assume. I also have 400sq.ft, also at 45 degree, facing East, and similar facing West.

It doesn't make sense to tax and insure two "frowned upon" vehicles (Freelander and Hyundai IX20) and seldom do as much as 10 miles per day. I've only just realised the IX20 has a 1600cc engine ... I thought it was "brisk" for a 1300. Remind me to ask Barbara to check out the VED and insurance costs.  Both cars are "unentailed". (HP free).

I don't know if we will ever visit friends in South Wales again, as Barbara is unable to visit most other houses (including our daughter), due to lack of wheel-chair accessibility. Travel-lodges seem to be wheel-chair friendly.

Our current thoughts are towards either new Dacia Duster or Sandero. Barbara is on her fourth brand new car, and I share her reluctance to revert to mundane and second-hand. Second hand sports cars are a non-starter, but I still have dreams of an electric Series 2, "Disability" special.

Comments and advice will be welcomed.

Tim_Moore

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7294
  • .:
Re: Looking for data about going electric.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 08:42:04 AM »

question you are asking is akin to digging half a hole.
Seams you have tow topics;

1. Electric cars - charging, power requirements, optimisation etc etc

charging - most electric cars will charge on a standard 10/16A socket, however its slow.... really slow. especially for big electric cars (Tesla). More power available the faster you can charge, so depends on what your car needs and how much you use it to what installation at home you require.

Electric car types - pass, that hole is too deep for me to advise. I have the smallest electric car available for getting to work, shops, etc. Technically a registered motorcyle so i dodge tolls, tax etc. To me its all i need but its as basic as one can get.
I have been a passenger in Teslas (S ,3 and X) Mercedes, etc they are lovely drive well, are heavy as hell and powerful to match. not for me (yet). when i do a road trip its typically  400km+ in a single day. Cold effects range dramatically so be weary of the quoted numbers unless you live at the equator.

However! if you find me a S2 donor, pay for parts and i will do an EL conversion for you ;) always wanted to do this :D

2. Solar Setup - size, type, voltage etc etc.

There is awesome information in australia for this, its a free book that gives you more information that you will ever need to navigate solar, batteries, voltage choices etc. https://www.solarquotes.com.au/good-solar-guide/contents/

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022, 05:33:38 AM »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for comments, advice, and offer.

I think I could persuade Barbara to "approve" (her pension is bigger than mine) a battery powered Series, but MY priority is getting her out of the house and into a car. She drove her Hyundai for the first time for a long time (with one usable limb), and seemed OK, but commented that using the clutch hurt a bit. Her main difficulty is transferring from the car to her basic wheel chair, at "destination". Getting from the wheel chair back into the car is "somewhat fraught". The driver's seat is easier to access, as she can use the steering wheel as a struggling bar.

Transfer from her power-chair to the car , and back again, is easier, but I have not yet tried getting her power chair in/out of the Hyundai.  I suspect that humping Barbara, in her basic wheelchair, sideways (in the house) is what put the ki-bosh on my knees (but don't tell her that).

As mentioned previously, both our present cars are "high maintenance" (VED and insurance), so the plan is to buy (possibly Personal Contract Hire, if the dealer can explain it to us.) a DACIA DUSTER type thingy, which we both feel has an acceptable appearance ... or a DACIA LOGAN, which looks similar, but is longer (and more expensive), to replace both our current cars, until such time as it makes sense to go battery power.

Our electric meter box is on the side of the bungalow, close to the "front" door, alongside where the Hyundai usually parks.  OT ... the bungalow was built mid-1980s, but still has a  fuse box with fuse wire on plugs.  :thud  It would make sense to get that changed at the same time, pay for only one call-out. Then discuss solar panels.

Both the Freelander and Hyundai are un-entailed, with the Hyundai having it's first MOT a couple of months ago.

It's just a matter of getting our fingers out, and phoning the main dealer.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2022, 10:26:18 PM »

Hi,

I asked Madam to check through her files ... so far she has managed to find ...

Freelander VED = £340

Freelander Insurance = Not found yet.

Freelander MOT = £50.

Freelander diesel = £600 (assuming about £50 per month.

Hyundai VED = £155

Hyundai Insurance = Not found yet. Nothing to base a guestimate on.

Hyundai MOT = £50

MOT = £50

Hyundai petrol = Not found yet. Nothing to base guestimate on.

The problem is wading thru a years worth of various Credit Card statements, with me just presenting the first card that pops out my wallet. Next move is to dig the insurance documents out of the drawer. I can't remember if the Freelander premium was credited with the balance from a policy on other vehicles.

More anon ... but not tonight.

landroverbrit

• Hub seal tester
  • .:
    • Wildest Things in the World
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 09:14:33 AM »

This is a nice ev defender with regenerative braking photo i have for a screensaver to motivate me to do a ev conversation on one of my LR one day, I look forward to you making the conversion,  :tiphat
https://www.youtube.com/c/Jauntmotors/videos

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 09:54:04 AM »

I wouldnt be surprised if the date for banning new "conventional" vehicles is put forward. Brexit/covid/Ukraine/recession/inflation/power shortages/lack of charging points etc. will be given as just some of the reasons. They recon you need to drive an EV for 50,000 miles before you start to "save the planet".

Being realistic, I doubt whether I will still be driving in 10 years time anyway.
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an-appen nob'dee'll notice."

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2022, 10:14:44 AM »

Just this week Car S.O.S. did an electric conversion to an MGB.
And very good it was I thought.

There's loads of businesses doing this now....
Who's a then ?

Rog-from-Bix

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2860
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2022, 10:30:06 AM »

Just this week Car S.O.S. did an electric conversion to an MGB.
And very good it was I thought.

There's loads of businesses doing this now....

One of the other car shows did a classic mini with a "small" teslas motor it went like a stabbed rat, the range wasnt great but the owner wasnt planning to do any major road trips in it so it didnt matter.

• Master of the oils
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2022, 01:10:07 PM »

The thing that amuses me is that joe public has trouble keeping their mobile phone charged.  Let alone a vehicle.

There could be alot of roadside acclimatisation ahead.

I do concede that fossil fuel pricing not green target will sound the deathnell and it is imminent.

We will look back at petrol and diesel like those before look back at steam.

Re car sos, have I missed the new series on more 4 or have they changed channel.

Tim_Moore

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7294
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2022, 11:53:26 AM »

The thing that amuses me is that joe public has trouble keeping their mobile phone charged.  Let alone a vehicle.

There could be alot of roadside acclimatisation ahead.

hehe, i have had the same thought, the co,mon question i get when i have friends visiting Norway is "what do you do if you run out of power?"
always thought it would be a laugh to have a small flat bed truck with a dirty great big diesel generator on the back that can offer road side fast charging

DogDave

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7210
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2022, 12:05:17 PM »

Still think electric cars might be one of those things like mini cd’s - replaced by better tech long before they take over - synthetic fuels make much more sense as don’t have to replace the cars or have massive conversions. Of course the car lobby is powerful at advertising and wants everyone to need a new car but if the current fuel companies get into synthetic in a big way they could compete with that.

Good article in car and classics daily spam today on running an E type jag on it

https://www.carandclassic.com/magazine/synthetic-fuels-race-proven/?bsft_aaid=a5ce63ed-6419-48b8-adb6-8692f74daf04&bsft_eid=b2495ae8-e750-3430-fd4b-3f501bbae003&utm_campaign=clone-1-broadcast-thursday-newsletter-23-06-22&utm_source=blueshift&utm_medium=email&utm_content=thursday-newsletter-30-06-22&bsft_clkid=3a48595f-047a-4fe8-8851-bfe958410d21&bsft_uid=d5321049-c231-4bfd-82bf-1eafec82f681&bsft_mid=3a0330e6-7766-4665-860b-df7722fbc0cb&bsft_mime_type=html&bsft_ek=2022-06-30T08%3A00%3A36Z&bsft_lx=2&bsft_tv=5

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 2241
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2022, 12:35:45 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/c/Jauntmotors/videos

My starting point is that I did some research in 2017 in order to make an informed and 'appropriate to me' purchase decision, taking delivery in April 2018.
This research led me to become HIGHLY sceptical of converting an old motor vehicle to electrical power. A vehicle is a complete design. Changing the motive unit does NOT change an ICE vehicle to a EV, as most of the design features that make an EV a suitable vehicle are SIGNIFICANTLY compromised.

I visited the JAUNT videos, starting at number 2 'The 3 worst parts of our Land Rover Series 3'.
How am I supposed to take seriously, as a knowledgable source, someone who repeatedly asserts that the vacuum servo on a petrol engine takes pressure from the exhaust system.
This is ludicrous.

How a vacuum servo works is something I know, so it's clear when the knowledgable person is 'speaking' from his backside. When he speaks about a vehicle design element I'm not so familiar with how can I take his information on trust, as being accurate?

I cannot.

Regards.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2022, 06:15:20 AM »

How am I supposed to take seriously, as a knowledgable source, someone who repeatedly asserts that the vacuum servo on a petrol engine takes pressure from the exhaust system.

Hi David,

I found this with an instant Google.

Researchers at Purdue University are working with General Motors to create thermoelectric generators (TEGs) to turn waste heat directly into electrical energy for cars. The idea is to use the heat from the car engine's exhaust to generate electricity.

I'm on your side, although I once had an argument, with me saying that a 6X4 crane lorry could use the hook to lift one of it's own wheels off the ground. I still maintain that it is THEORETICALY possible to lift any one of the four rear wheels, but not a front wheel. I proved my theory by lifting one end of a bench that I was sitting on.

But in a similar vein, does a stationary Spitfire become lighter when the pilot blips the engine, but before the plane starts moving? I'm thinking "PROP-WASH" flowing over the wings?

geoff

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2022, 10:28:44 AM »

John, not about electric with this reply but .....

Have you considered buying a WAV ... a wheelchair accessible vehicle ?

You could buy one second hand already professionally converted and it would suit all of your needs and the extended family.

Prices are pretty reasonable I'd say, three or four grand will buy something tidy and a few grand more will get something in top order.

Typically they only do low miles and have been kept dealer serviced, a Berlingo would be a good starting point  :tiphat :RHD

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2022, 06:49:18 AM »

Have you considered buying a WAV ... a wheelchair accessible vehicle ?

Hi Geoff,

Transporting Barbara is no longer on the TO DO list.

It took a team of Social Workers, using a stainless steel version of an engine lifting jib crane, to lift Barbara out of bed. Once elevated, the little wheels on the crane were found to to be reluctant to roll over through the pile on the bedroom carpet. Not a problem ... after a leaking central heating pipe, every other carpet in the bungalow was replaced with laminate, after the floor boards were replaced. (Suspended floor). I think the bill was £15,000ish, paid without comment by our insurers. Whatever, the Social Workers have not tried to get her out of bed again.

The Social Workers have also muted taking her power chair from her. (Er ... we bought that!)

One also has to take into account that friends houses are seldom, if ever, wheel-chair friendly, nor are crowded pubs. Even our daughter's house in Bletchley (MK) is a no-go zone. Reminds me of the joke about the wheel-chair that fell into the bubbling water at Lourdes ... when they pulled it out, it had four new (remould) tyres, and a back-dated MOT.

The wife of a mate in the Swansea Valley, was a teacher at a school for blind children.  One of her pupils, an eleven year old girl, collected "blind" jokes. eg: Did you hear about the blind skunk?  "He fell in love with a fart!"

A blind programmer at DVLC was asked how he formed a relationship with a new guide dog.

"I ask it to find a pub. Then I ask it to find a Gents. After that, everything else can be taken slowly!"

PS. If anyone is interested ... visitors are welcome.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 19 queries.