S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT: price range for S1 80" rough project/ex-trialler?  (Read 3082 times)

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
Re: OT: price range for S1 80" rough project/ex-trialler?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2022, 08:35:28 AM »

Craig, our 107 is on its original much welded chassis but we ended up buying a Radford bulkhead for it some years ago and we had towait 2 years for it.  I understand that there are others who make S1 bulkheads now.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2022, 08:48:18 AM »

I will be using Radfords chassis parts. I need a few new outriggers and maybe a rear crossmember but looking forward into getting stuck in to it. I bought another 1955 chassis for £120 that has very solid main rails. The right hand rail on my chassis has dissolved under the drivers floor but using both chassis frames I hope to create one very solid one.

As for the bulkhead I was contacted a few months back by a friend who changed the bulkhead on his 88" for a new one and asked if I'd like the old one. I paid £300 for it and all it needs is new footwells and some back-dating to make it an 86" looking bulkhead.

Trying to do this one on a budget but see how we get on. Might need to spend a lot of money on paint stripper as that green paint is everywhere inside, even on the inside of the roof panel!

Craig.

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2022, 10:02:11 AM »

I reckon it's a bargain for a Series 1.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

Oilyrag921

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 8113
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2022, 03:26:22 PM »

If it's of any use as a fairly current price, it's public knowledge anyway as I bought on ebay £3750.
Perkins engine, poor bulkhead now repaired with pegasus and some home fabrication and the chassis all around the gear box is poor, but repairable.
I'm pleased with my purchase but if had seen it before bidding I might not have bothered but I bidded blind. I'm enjoying the work anyway.
Michael

Rustandoil

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7844
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2022, 03:39:28 PM »

Re: The Series One Club Forum, I keep being very tempted to share the antics of this guy and what he dose with his series one on that forum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU7JXOh116M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6jbmQ4xAX0

But am worried I might get banned or start WW3, although maybe it's a reminder what kind of things people used to do with there old Land Rovers when they were just old Land Rovers... :RHD

Fantastic!! :-* :-*

andrewR

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6506
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2022, 04:42:27 PM »

Re: The Series One Club Forum, I keep being very tempted to share the antics of this guy and what he dose with his series one on that forum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU7JXOh116M

Shame he seems to crack the windscreen right across at about 10 mins in.
Andrew

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2022, 05:27:49 PM »

Shame he seems to crack the windscreen right across at about 10 mins in.

He's going to have broken thumbs too quite soon unless he learns to hold the steering wheel correctly.

David

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2022, 09:06:43 PM »

Hi,

I have had a little experience driving RAF 80", and frankly I didn't like them ... specifically the foot pedal,s which felt they were moving up and down, rather than back and fore.

Me? I would rather start with an "identity" and enough parts to be legal, rather than a complete vehicle with no UK identity. I remember the advice .... which probably doesn't apply to Land Rovers ... Why pay for the filler when the holes are free?

PS. I knew of a couple of places in the Swansea Valley, where dead S2s used to lie, rotting away. PM me if you are interested, and WILL follow up. I will only tell one person ... don't want hordes of people disturrbing the natives

geoff

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2022, 09:34:52 PM »

Probably all gone by now John but hey ho as I'm sort of just a few valleys over I'll happily pop over to take a look.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2022, 06:17:55 AM »

"IF STANDS STIFF IN A POOR MANS POCKET"

Hi,

I don't think I can regard myself as "poor" any longer, but have commitments, and my knees hurt (don't bend more than 90*)

Many on this forum have said that it is impossible to get a rebuilt Series through an IVA. I've said it myself, but I was thinking in terms of knees being vunerable to non-rounded corners, and seat-belt location.

But years have passed, the supply of new replacement parts has improved .... and I wouldn't want a ICE, nor a CIE engine anyway, which takes emissions and fuel systems out of the equation. Which leaves seat-belt mountings.

JAGO (kit car manufacturers) managed to get their "WEEP" through the IVA jungle. (see the white plastic thingy currently appearing in TV ads ... I can't remember what they are advertising. ???). Does anybody provide a link?) The roll-over bar is very substantial, and supports the upper seat belt mounts. Surely something similar could be added to new heavy duty Series chassis, arguing that it improves safety .... eight bits of angle iron welded to the chassis rails?

I'm temped, but Barbara will chunter on about me not being able to walk.

PS. Why did the chicken cross the road softly?  Because she couldn't walk hardly.

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2022, 10:59:20 PM »

Craig, our 107 is on its original much welded chassis but we ended up buying a Radford bulkhead for it some years ago and we had towait 2 years for it.  I understand that there are others who make S1 bulkheads now.

Peter

Often, a Dutch (Belgian?) chap called Jean Dexters was quoted as doing the best SI bulkheads.
Years ago Radfords used to be quite poor, but I believe have improved since.

Many years ago I bought the first 88" SI bulkhead that that Jean Dexters made. It was excellent.

All these years later it is still in my shed, waiting to be fitted to something.

(Shame I fell out of love with the SI scene and the attitudes that were creeping into it, and so lost interest in the "SII prototypes") :coffee
"If you want to be happy, be" -  Leo Tolstoy.

Bronze Green

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2022, 11:45:57 AM »

There are still a lot of nice genuine folks in the Series One scene but alas Charles there are some who inhabit the S1 forum who are clowns and hence I’m not much of a contributor these days.
Anyway enough of Series Ones, early coilers are the future eh Charles, especially ones with a V8  :coffee

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2022, 05:14:25 PM »

Early coilers are indeed the future John. :-*

As we are both LRSOC members of over 40 years (member numbers 74 and 76?) I think we saw the best times of SI ownership - and certainly of prices!

I just hope the young of today can keep affording Series Two's.

Bronze Green

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2022, 06:14:54 PM »

Almost correct Charles, my number is 69. :cheers

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2022, 06:39:01 AM »

Hii,

Ref earlier mention of my knees.

One of Barbara's health care workers insisted that MY knees are bad enough to entitle me to Attendance Allowance, and has submitted an application on my behalf.  I'm not sure I agree with her, although if I want to travel more the 25 yards from my front gate, I take the car. Mowing my 20ft by 30ft lawn (rotary mower) is spread over three days. Character building!  Thinks back forty years ... I built an edifice (Planners description) with the two kids bedrooms each being 20ft by 10ft. Whatever, an extra £80 per week going into the household kitty could extend my horizons ... like a new galv 80" chassis, under an JAGO WEEP bodyshell.

I've already bought the mouthwash, but how to climb in will need some thought.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 20 queries.