S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you take your Landy into your local tip ?  (Read 4733 times)

Norm

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7135
  • .:
Can you take your Landy into your local tip ?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2022, 08:08:10 AM »

No problem with my defender 130 tipper they even help with emptying it, if its full of hedge cuttings and branches they let me park right next to the skip.

Dave

BigLee

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 6741
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2022, 08:12:12 AM »

Yes. they queried it 1st time but it has a  folding bench seat in back so is a passenger vehicle!

Lord Unstone

• Chassis welder
  • .:
    • Blog
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2022, 08:14:12 AM »

Another vote for Chesterfield....I go there with mine, and always get banter with the guy on the gate saying "Sorry, we don't take vehicles Mate!"
1966 S2a diesel
1993 Morgan 4/4
Lister D, Bernard WO, VeloSolex...

Herald1360

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5979
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2022, 11:00:59 AM »

Our local tip allows proven local residents eight visits per month, just make an online appointment and turn up. However they do not allow commercial vehicles, or four wheel trailers. So far so good.
So, if you have certain categories of vehicles, and are a resident, you can apply for a permit. This allows these certain categories of vehicles (and trailers) twelve visits per year.
These certain categories include, tray backs, pick ups, and soft tops with no seats. Yes you’ve guessed it, my soft top Landy is a commercial vehicle and only gets 12 visits per YEAR.
This is a nonsense. My Landy is my daily driver, I pay my Council Tax on time every month. So I see folk with massive SUV’s, people carriers etc….. eight visits per MONTH.
So who benefits from this nonsense, nobody, it just increases fly tipping. Tried appealing, jobsworths everywhere.

You should have kept the SW!  :tiphat

I did have one slightly surreal conversation with the jobsworth where he claimed that the weldmesh partition between the middle row seats and the rear load area was a fixed division making it a commercial vehicle but he backed down when I called it a removable dog guard (I did once clip off the cable ties and remove it, to fit the dismantled roofrack inside) and pointed out the "Four Wheel Drive Station Wagon" badge on the back. DVLA reckon it's a "Light 4X4 Utility" though..... :stars

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2022, 12:11:19 PM »

Chesterfield is a bit of a way for me to go tipping  :'(

Just back from my daily tip trip (we're clearing the house out) with a load of carpet, scrap metal, and some wooden furniture, for which there was no charge.

Since Land Rovers in all their versions were invented before the DVLC/DVLA taxation classes were invented and changed - things like Land Rovers can be awkward to categorise before you encounter the ex East German border guards at the tips. They basically want to shake all the loose change out of your pockets. Effectively we are paying twice to dispose of our rubbish  :shakeinghead

Now, I know a couple of quiet lanes, off the beaten track ...  :whistle

I've posted many times on this subject.

What's needed is a clear, common sense National policy applicable from Lands End to Hadrian's Wall.
Therefore ...
It's never going to happen - we have to live with it  :'(

:dustcart (ex South East Derbyshire bin-man) :dustcart
Who's a then ?

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 33
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2022, 03:09:20 PM »

It depends if I cross the border. Actually I have to cross the border. Stockport tips have lower barriers than Cheshire. My 109 doesn’t fit in Stockport but does just in Cheshire. So I nip over the border into Cheshire. I’ve never had a problem and am friendly with the tip staff. Mine is a canvas back but has seats in the rear.

If I go to Stockport tip (Adswood) my new Defender just fits if I lower the suspension, but the anpr cameras log your visits.
Is Stockport now in Greater Manchester ? I thought it was in Cheshire ?
No windows in rear of my SWB so considered a van by Merseyside councils. Free to tip household waste but have to apply for a permit in advance.
Some years back I worked for a clinical waste removal company. Yellow bags.
I used the works transit to empty a house we had been renting out. The guy at the tip refused me entry and asked 'how do I know that it is not clinical waste' ?
As opposed to the furniture and carpet it actually was !
He directed me into the office where I explained to his boss. 'yeah, right jobsworth him. Tell him I said it ok'   :neener

Kernowcam

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2022, 03:59:08 PM »

Our local guys are ok. Although they did intercept a couple Of bits of rubble recently and tried to charge about £3.00 for a bucket full.
Now, what do they not recycle rubble, eminently suitable.!

crumbly65

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 912
  • .:
  • "Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2022, 04:34:57 PM »

Very fortunate here with our local tip.  The guys there are helpful & friendly, and although vans need permits, I've not had a problem at all so far with my S2.

No-one has ever suggested my 88" with a tilt and the rear folding sideways-facing bench seats, is anything like a commercial vehicle.

I think amenity tips are the responsibility of County Councils in England?  It can difficult enough getting a Parish or District Council to respond to local issues, County Councils are even more remote.

One can't help wondering whether elected politicians use the facilities for which they are responsible.
If a councillor has to take stuff to a tip, do they just accept the way it operates?  Or, as I suspect, do they get presented by budget constraints, and the resultant options by their officers, and just accept the options after either a desultory discussion, or a "whip" along political party lines.

It's very easy for them to fall into the trap of knowing the cost of everything, but the value of nothing.  It's obvious to users of the countryside, that fly-tipping is a problem, and a national problem.  The obvious way to address that problem is to start at the amenity tips, and set out national guidelines which are costed and funded.

In the same way that air pollution in our major cities, could and should, be addressed by free public transport, properly funded. 

But many of the things we rightly complain about on here, need political solutions, and politics, very rightly in my view, should not be a subject on this forum.
The forum for those complaints are the political bodies responsible.  Perhaps we would be better going along to public meetings of the County Councils, and moaning there?  And backing up the moaning with written complaints and examples?

DogDave

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7210
  • .:
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2022, 06:01:01 PM »

I suppose I could have a big bonfire ?

:dustcart-1

Must be someone near you with a wood burner that wants the firewood, if I were closer…. Maybe stick the offer on freecycle see if anyone wants to collect it.

I get a big chunk of my heating every year from wood that others would have to pay to get rid of otherwise

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2022, 06:03:10 PM »

Shame really as good rubble (and car tyres) would help shore up our Norfolk coastline (much as the Dutch have done).

Instead of paying £3 a bucket, they should be paying us.

:dustcart-1_RH

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2022, 06:05:30 PM »

Must be someone near you with a wood burner that wants the firewood, if I were closer…. Maybe stick the offer on freecycle see if anyone wants to collect it.

I get a big chunk of my heating every year from wood that others would have to pay to get rid of otherwise
:doh :doh :doh

My lad has just moved and he has a wood burner - and a large car.

Excellent idea  :first

Alice B

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 3144
  • .:
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2022, 06:45:00 PM »

Never had a problem using the Land Rover to our local tip.

nathanglasgow

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5123
  • .:
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2022, 09:15:40 PM »

Used my 88" truckcab 3/4 tilt for 3 tip runs today. 24 old 600x600 council slabs, got to be about 1000kg. Not an eyebrow raised from the guys. Only problem is they are still operating an online booking system left over from Covid  with 15min slots so you have to fit in with availability when doing multiple runs on the same day. None of this £3 a bucket nonsense. East Dunbartonshire, Scotland
1967 Rover 10(ex mil 2a swb)
1970 lwb  ex Singer sewing machine factory Clydebank fire appliance

A-Ro

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1998
  • .:
Re: Can you take your Landy into your local tip ?
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2022, 09:13:00 AM »

This topic keeps coming round. The answer is at the ballot box.
Complain to your local councillor.

Went to our tip today with some timber and got stung for £3  >:(
Yet there was no problem with carpets from 3 rooms the day before  :stars
Carpet must be harder to re-cycle than wood.

Tomorrow I have our garden shed   :shed reduced to kit form and that will be at least another £3.
It's supposed to be covered by our council tax.

I suppose I could have a big bonfire ?

:dustcart-1

This is a bugbear of mine, I’ve taken an internal door home again and chopped it up because they wanted to charge me to recycle it, they then wanted to charge me because it used to be an internal door so I took it home again and burned it. It cost more in petrol than the fee but if a council wants to encourage recycling then why should we lug our stuff down there only to have to pay when we get it there?
It got even more bizarre this week, apparently the charge is levied on home improvements, I don’t know why our council have taken against home improvement, maybe they think we are increasing the value of our property and they want a cut of it? I don’t know. Anyway I was clearing out my mum’s house this week, she passed away recently and we are clearing the house prior to selling it and there was a very large fitted wardrobe which we cut up and it needed to go to the tip, I looked up the council website and sure enough disposing of wardrobes is chargeable so I gritted my teeth and went down there. I explained what the wood was and that it was from clearing my deceased mum’s house and was allowed through no charge, it appears that home improvements are chargeable but (personal) house clearance isn’t, I would assume commercial house clearance would be. I know what im going to say the next time I’ve got anything like that to go.
When designing something to be foolproof never underestimate the ingenuity of fools.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
Re: Can you take your Landy into your local tip ?
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2022, 09:28:12 AM »

That's part of the problem - inconsistency at the tip - It depends who you are, what vehicle, and someone's evaluation of what you have in the vehicle to tip.

I think everyone is pretty clear on garden waste, cardboard, glass, washing machines and scrap metal - but wood and furniture seems to vary from tip to tip as to what they regard it as.

We once took a couple a fence panels in and they wanted £5  :thud
Took them back and rip sawed them up into small pieces.
Went back and not a problem - same person on the gate!

Just think, fuel and time wasted, impact on the environment increased.

Others would have driven to a place and fly-tipped on the way home.

Ideally stuff like this should be dumped on the councillors drives. Maybe then they might get it sorted.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 19 queries.