S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Petrol prices ... yes petrol  (Read 5209 times)

crumbly65

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 912
  • .:
  • "Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
Petrol prices ... yes petrol
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2022, 04:23:21 PM »

^^ A good politician never lets the facts get in the way of his argument.

^^^ And neither does a bad one.........

Smokey 11a

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6784
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2022, 04:31:39 PM »

One minor flaw in Mr Farage's story is that the UK is not short of refined petrol. The UK is actually exporting 3 million litres a month to the USA at the moment, more goes elsewhere. In 2020 for example we exported 24m Tonnes of petroleum products to Holland. Another slight flaw in his tale is that UK refining capacity has been static since 2015, actually increased slightly in 2020.

A point to remember is that oil products are traded in US $.  Related to Mr Farage, an event happened in Jun 2016 that saw the GB £ drop from around £1 = $1.45 to $1.33. It has never reached $1.45 since. Today its at $1.25.  A barrel of Brent Crude today is at $1.22 so roughly £100. Were the GB £ still at its 2016 value that oil would be only £84. Perhaps ask Mr Farage what happened on 23rd Jun 2016 to so depress the value of our currency ?

The cost of diesel (Not petrol) is cheaper retail than the cost of petrol so why is it a lot more for a litre of diesel at the pump? Been out of the fuel supply game for quite a while now

Smokey 11a

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6784
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2022, 04:31:46 PM »

One minor flaw in Mr Farage's story is that the UK is not short of refined petrol. The UK is actually exporting 3 million litres a month to the USA at the moment, more goes elsewhere. In 2020 for example we exported 24m Tonnes of petroleum products to Holland. Another slight flaw in his tale is that UK refining capacity has been static since 2015, actually increased slightly in 2020.

A point to remember is that oil products are traded in US $.  Related to Mr Farage, an event happened in Jun 2016 that saw the GB £ drop from around £1 = $1.45 to $1.33. It has never reached $1.45 since. Today its at $1.25.  A barrel of Brent Crude today is at $1.22 so roughly £100. Were the GB £ still at its 2016 value that oil would be only £84. Perhaps ask Mr Farage what happened on 23rd Jun 2016 to so depress the value of our currency ?

The cost of diesel (Not petrol) is cheaper retail than the cost of petrol so why is it a lot more for a litre of diesel at the pump? Been out of the fuel supply game for quite a while now

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2022, 05:40:59 PM »

Noted that Diesel was actually cheaper than Petrol at Tesco's pumps in Stirling today, highly unusual. I'm told were were importing cheap diesel from Russia until the recent unpleasantness. Also noticed that Sainsburys prices were fully 18p a litre cheaper than the "Independent" garage at Doune (Notoriously always expensive.) Both will be supplying fuel from Grangemouth I suppose ? 
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

LN11AAB498A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7099
  • .:
  • 2A or not 2A that is the question Will Shakespeare
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2022, 10:23:10 PM »

Yesterday at the Moto Services Wetherby, I bought diesel at £2.04.9 per litre.

Ah, those halcyon days when petrol was 30p a gallon.  And I bet we were complaining about that to
Fred

Blessed are they who endure life with a silly name

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2022, 12:07:51 AM »

This is a rather touchy subject here in the States, especially when one considers that the current regime is releasing 180 million barrels of oil from our Strategic Petroleum Reserve AND shipping it to Europe.
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2022, 12:10:13 AM »

There was a news story today, here in Kansas,that it is costing, on average $123/£100 to fill the average tank in the UK.  IIRC the said 14 gallons was tge average.

Bradley66

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 5351
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2022, 06:54:16 AM »

There was a news story today, here in Kansas,that it is costing, on average $123/£100 to fill the average tank in the UK.  IIRC the said 14 gallons was tge average.

I have 65 litre tank in my daily car , that`s a bit over 14 gallons . I topped it up yesterday from 1/2 a tank to full and it cost me £68.
I have stopped looking at the price now because I need it for work. No petrol = no work = no money.

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2022, 07:11:41 AM »

I can remember when putting in £10 worth of petrol used to go a long way.
That's the right attitude Bradley66. Just fill-up and grin and bear it. There are more important things to worry about.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2022, 10:38:50 AM »

Yep, we filled my wife's VW Passat yesterday with the cheapest supermarket diesel we could see. Final bill was £122 or US $155.   

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2022, 10:45:45 AM »

Must confess to having stopped "filling up" now. With a Discovery 3, I start to get palpitations when I get near £90 and that's only about  half full...

Anybody want a Discovery 3 because it, along with hundreds (if not thousands) of other similar vehicles, are probably coming on the market very soon and very cheap!

If this is a deliberate effort to force people out of big vehicles, it seems like a very convoluted method, but seems to be working.
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2022, 02:17:16 PM »

Must confess to having stopped "filling up" now. With a Discovery 3, I start to get palpitations when I get near £90 and that's only about  half full...

Anybody want a Discovery 3 because it, along with hundreds (if not thousands) of other similar vehicles, are probably coming on the market very soon and very cheap!

If this is a deliberate effort to force people out of big vehicles, it seems like a very convoluted method, but seems to be working.

You'd get a premium price for your vehicles here in the States probably.  Used vehicles are getting just as much, if not more (in some cases), than new vehicles here.

Grandadrob

• Master of the oils
  • More questions than answers.
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2022, 05:04:09 PM »

I’ve waited 73 years to get a RR SDV8, going to enjoy it whatever, one kidney is enough anyway  :stars
1955 86inch petrol.
1960 88inch Diesel.
2013 FFRR SDV8 4.4

rustynuts

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3380
  • .:
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2022, 06:58:22 PM »

I read that webuyanycar.com has recently had a record number of enquiries from people wanting to get rid of SUVs and large engine vehicles. Perhaps a good time to pick up a bargain if you only do a few miles.

Grandadrob

• Master of the oils
  • More questions than answers.
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2022, 07:04:13 PM »

My 4.4 does more mpg than my last two cars. 3.0 straight six petrol Volvo 965 estate, 25 mpg.
Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 diesel 28 mpg. The RR SDV8 diesel does 30 mpg. All measured in similar scenarios.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 19 queries.