S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Petrol prices ... yes petrol  (Read 5148 times)

crumbly65

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 912
  • .:
  • "Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
Petrol prices ... yes petrol
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2022, 10:20:10 AM »

Don’t know how people are coping with their daily commute these days  ??? 2017-2018 my weekly commute to the office averaged 945 miles did that for a solid year, what would that cost these days!! Surely something has got to give soon, the world has gone mad   :stars

Mmm  :pie

Quite Chris!!  What's starting to give, is that more and more people are now working from home.  SWMBO's annual commuter ticket was £4000 - and that's out of her pay AFTER tax.... :shakeinghead

She now works from home as much as possible, (despite Rees-Mogg carrying out the Daily Mail's vitriolic attack on the Civil Service), even though working from home (WFH) is far from ideal.

What has transpired, is her workplace has now intruded into our home, which means I have to be quiet, invisible and deaf when she's on Zoom video calls etc, and of course, we are now paying extra heating and energy costs.  However, the financial saving makes it worth the aggro - just.

We're now firmly out of the Industrial Revolution age, and at the start of the Technological Age.  We need to be aware that prior to the Industrial Revolution, the default position for nearly all workers, was working from where they lived, either at home or within walking distance of their home.

These are interesting and disturbing times.......

George1990

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6900
  • .:
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2022, 10:45:07 AM »

I've never had a car (not land rover) that does more than 23mpg, but I've never spent a lot on them. Paid £750 for my current merc so am not bothered about the fuel cost. If it did 40mpg I would save about £600 a year. Not worth buying a modern car for that.

I also usually sell them for more than I paid for them a few years down the line once I've ragged them to bits and the rot sets in. Lost money on the last one but not a lot over about 4 years.

An electric cars cost £100s a month to buy, and then cost a fortune when it goes wrong. Old mercs don't really go wrong and waft you along
1968 RAF 2a 88 bitsa
1980 6 pot S3 109

Big-chris

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3365
  • .:
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2022, 12:16:01 PM »

I've never had a car (not land rover) that does more than 23mpg, but I've never spent a lot on them. Paid £750 for my current merc so am not bothered about the fuel cost. If it did 40mpg I would save about £600 a year. Not worth buying a modern car for that.

I also usually sell them for more than I paid for them a few years down the line once I've ragged them to bits and the rot sets in. Lost money on the last one but not a lot over about 4 years.

An electric cars cost £100s a month to buy, and then cost a fortune when it goes wrong. Old mercs don't really go wrong and waft you along

I completely agree with you, all my modern cars are older models the GL is the youngest being 2011 last year of the diesel V8’s, the ML is 2008, and the Jag S-Type is 2003, for me all still very modern cars, but to some, usually younger people they are classed as old cars??

The cost of changing them to more modern heavily dependent on electronic wizardry cars or space ship technology electric cars would be tens of thousands, buys you a lot of fuel and tax does that…….

I can appreciate people like to have the peace of mind a new car brings, with a manufacturer warranty and dealership support and if you are at the financial level of being able to buy new or nearly new then good for them I say… my brother has a new high end car every two years, but he admires and spends more time talking about my old Land Rovers n cars than he does his when I ask him how his car is running!! Doing 58mpg and it’s cheap tax!!

The big con with fuel is the duty but the even greater con is the VAT on top! Fuel price effect’s everything we buy, I can see it hitting £2.50 litre before long, the government is making billions out of us in one of the quickest forms of tax collection, amazing coincidence after they have just shelled out so called billions for the pandemic!

It’s not just here though mother-in-law lives in Belgium, she paid €2.31 per litre the other day for E10 Petrol!

It’s all about getting some coffers back in the volt asap  ??? soon be Christmas  :stars
Never argue with an idiot! They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!

Big-chris

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3365
  • .:
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2022, 12:22:56 PM »

Hi Chris

I've recently gone over to V-power in George as I did leave some E10 in from last year and had great problems to get him running again, all's good now plus an added bonus of a Shell station recently opening up the road from me - but as you said it's not cheap.

For daily driving I fill my car up about every 2 months (mainly to use the fuel up before it goes off, I could leave it longer) but the actual costs are around £18 per month for the energy used locally - this is the joys of a plug in hybrid which equals about +250 mpg. I was lucky to change when I did plus it's still a Land Rover.

Rob

It does work better Rob, and if you are not doing the regular miles the extra it costs pays for itself in the clean running and performance, yep your wagon will always be a Land Rover mate and a very nice set of wheels it is too  :o your timing fell just perfect before the madness began….. wonder if in the future we will remember this time as when it all started to go wrong and the demise of cars as we knew it? Bit like the comment above a bit of a reverse industrial revolution but with more focus on transportation… hope you are well mate  :tiphat

RobS

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6572
  • .:
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2022, 12:41:22 PM »

It does work better Rob, and if you are not doing the regular miles the extra it costs pays for itself in the clean running and performance, yep your wagon will always be a Land Rover mate and a very nice set of wheels it is too  :o your timing fell just perfect before the madness began….. wonder if in the future we will remember this time as when it all started to go wrong and the demise of cars as we knew it? Bit like the comment above a bit of a reverse industrial revolution but with more focus on transportation… hope you are well mate  :tiphat
I'm still pinning my hopes on what JCB are doing and hopefully it will taken on board by the car industry, I got a feeling the EV side is going to be another diesel gate - but time will tell.

Interesting reading from JCB - https://www.jcb.com/en-gb/campaigns/hydrogen

Rob.

Rog-from-Bix

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2860
  • .:
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2022, 12:52:51 PM »

I'm still pinning my hopes on what JCB are doing and hopefully it will taken on board by the car industry, I got a feeling the EV side is going to be another diesel gate - but time will tell.

Rob.

I see bp just bought 40% of an Australian hydrogen and renewables operation.
https://www.bp.com/en/global/corporate/news-and-insights/press-releases/bp-to-lead-and-operate-one-of-the-worlds-largest-renewables-and-green-hydrogen-energy-hubs-based-in-western-australia.html

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2022, 12:56:11 PM »

Rob.

Absolutely agree. I work for a certain car and chemical company which I won't name on here, but suffice to say that when the hydrogen solution is finally worked out, it seems far more sensible. Just got to get the initial process of getting it greener. At the moment, its not a particularly green solution. That's is being dealt with, so I look forward to my next new purchase being H powered... Slightly lacking in infrastructure at the moment, but it will happen.
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2022, 10:34:40 PM »

Petrol price in Venezuela, £0.018 per litre. A long way to go say save money though.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

DogDave

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7210
  • .:
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2022, 08:39:42 AM »

Interesting article on bbc today - there is a solution
(Kind of - doesn’t save you from the wholesale costs or the half of price that’s pretty much tax)

Community owned petrol stations - plenty of examples of it working for pubs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-61798791

Anyone nearby that’s used it and can comment?

Clifford Pope

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3129
  • .:
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2022, 09:55:46 AM »

My stile of motoring absolutely, in fact over the whole 56 years I've been driving.
In the early years I bought category 3 cars, now category 2+, but the principle still applies.
All my cars have been on the lower end of the depreciation curve, bought just at the point when they were about to start edging up in value again. Some would be worth a lot more now if I'd kept them - in fact on checking many of them do still exist.

I can't see that method ever working with electric cars, a) because the batteries will represent an increasingly large part of the value of the car as it ages (and no one is ever going to collect classic batteries ! ), and b) because the cars themselves, like all modern cars, are so ugly.
I only buy cars (including Land Rovers) I love.

island dormy

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2022, 06:26:18 PM »

Hi guys

Petrol prices over here on the wet coast of Canada have gone down a bit this week, all the way down to $2.09 (regular grade)per litre.
 However next weekend is officially Canada Day (and its a long weekend) so prices will be back up in time for that.

Even with petrol prices on the way down I have decided to add some extra security.

Victor

1962 Dormobile (in the family since 1964)
1969 Nada Dormobile

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
Re: Petrol prices ... yes petrol
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2022, 05:36:41 PM »

My newest car is this old bus.
Bought off a local gamekeeper for £500.

It either doesn't use much diesel or the fuel gauge is broken!

"If you want to be happy, be" -  Leo Tolstoy.

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2022, 10:18:16 PM »

Tesco in Ely, Cambs, are selling petrol at £1.689 per litre and diesel at £1.999. It just goes to show how we are being ripped off and nothing is being done about it.

crumbly65

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 912
  • .:
  • "Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2022, 12:04:15 PM »

Over in France on holiday at the moment. Here in the Dordogne, Supermarket price for E5 is £8.19 per gallon….😱

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2022, 07:45:07 AM »

Hi,

Yesterday, I poured the best part of £100 into Barbara's iX20. I must try discipling myself not to enjoy the acceleration. Perhaps more sensibly, I should research the financial benefits (VED and insurance, and main dealer servicing) of something more mundane.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 19 queries.