S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Petrol prices ... yes petrol  (Read 5152 times)

Univetsal

• Chassis welder
Petrol prices ... yes petrol
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2022, 07:34:13 PM »

Before long folk will be using "silent 6th" on a regular basis, only when off-road of course...😁

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2022, 05:50:37 AM »

Ah, those halcyon days when petrol was 30p a gallon.  And I bet we were complaining about that to

Hi,

In my "halycion" (sp? )daze, I could buy JET (then a brand name) petrol for four shillings (£0.20) per gallon. I still bought it by the half gallon.

JET petrol was reputed to have a greater lead content than the posher brands, which resulted in the inside of the exhaust tail pipe turning white. You don't see that nowadays.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2022, 05:57:47 AM »

PS,were

I can remember something call POOL petrol. I assume petrol was nationalised following the end of WW2, so the garage tanks  were "mix and matched".

Anybody?

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2022, 07:45:10 AM »

JET is still a reputable brand name. We have one here in Godalming. Best value fuel in the area usually.
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Smokey 11a

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6784
  • .:
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2022, 05:14:09 PM »

There was a news story today, here in Kansas,that it is costing, on average $123/£100 to fill the average tank in the UK.  IIRC the said 14 gallons was tge average.

I wish, £99 was all I was allowed at the pump (Card only self serve) declined my using it again so I had to resort to my other card and put another £20 worth in.That was at 185.9 a litre.

Smokey 11a

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6784
  • .:
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2022, 05:14:24 PM »

There was a news story today, here in Kansas,that it is costing, on average $123/£100 to fill the average tank in the UK.  IIRC the said 14 gallons was tge average.

I wish, £99 was all I was allowed at the pump (Card only self serve) declined my using it again so I had to resort to my other card and put another £20 worth in.That was at 185.9 a litre.

Eve

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 3042
  • .:
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2022, 05:38:46 PM »

Today I put some Esso Supreme unleaded 99 RON (100% petrol, 0% ethanol) in my 'other' car which prefers 97 RON, according to the owner's manual.
At £2.06 per litre it cost me £80 for just over half a tank.
I think from now on the car will have to make do with E10 until prices come down a bit!
1966 SWB Utility Marine Blue 2.25 Petrol

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2022, 11:05:37 PM »

Used vehicles are getting just as much, if not more (in some cases), than new vehicles here.

Hi,

My understanding of the logic, is that new cars are cheaper because there are none available.

Hmmm! Barbara's Hyundai is over three years old, with stiill under 10,000 miles on the clock. She has surrendered her licence, as she cannot foresee ever driving again.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2022, 05:11:44 AM »

Hi,

OT ... maybe.

What I want is a pocket calculator thingy, into which I can key both my mileage and quantiy of fuel added, to give me a long term indication of my fuel consumption.

Even better if the said device can "talk" to both my odometer and the pump in the service station.  Or perhaps the pump could issue a credit card thingy with the details of the transaction, that I can poke into a slot on my dashboard ... let the car do the calculations.

Me? I'd need a big buzzer to remind me.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2022, 05:20:56 AM »

PS,

The above idea might be viable on a battery powered car. How else would you keep a tally of your power consumption? KiloWatt weeks?

Maybe its already an option?

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2022, 04:52:02 PM »

It's gone up another 3p per litre since Sunday.RIPOFF!!!
It's 6p a litre cheaper in Salisbury than here but it's not worth a 36 mile round trip to benefit from it unless I was going that way.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2022, 06:13:56 PM »

Hi,

OT ... maybe.

What I want is a pocket calculator thingy, into which I can key both my mileage and quantiy of fuel added, to give me a long term indication of my fuel consumption.

Even better if the said device can "talk" to both my odometer and the pump in the service station.  Or perhaps the pump could issue a credit card thingy with the details of the transaction, that I can poke into a slot on my dashboard ... let the car do the calculations.

Me? I'd need a big buzzer to remind me.

Your car already has these functions - have a look in the driver's handbook.

Who's a then ?

Big-chris

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3365
  • .:
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2022, 01:01:00 AM »

Was out the other day popped to the farm shop and pork pie shop just to get away from the computer screens for half hour (work from home) took whats becoming the spare car for a run as is not moved for a couple of weeks Mercedes GL450cdi 4L V8 twin turbo diesel powered wagon, called in a Shell garage to put £50 in as the fuel needle was just above a quarter, because it’s not used much as with all our cars these days I tend to use Shell V Power Petrol/diesel I find it keeps a bit fresher for longer and keeps things nice and clean.. put £50 in got just over 22L of fuel  :thud the fuel gauge didn’t even get to half £2.25ish a litre didn’t even think to look at the pump until I was approaching £50, did just under 20 miles round trip so it cost me a tenner to fetch mi Pork pies  :shakeinghead
Don’t know how people are coping with their daily commute these days  ??? 2017-2018 my weekly commute to the office averaged 945 miles did that for a solid year, what would that cost these days!! Surely something has got to give soon, the world has gone mad   :stars

Mmm  :pie
Never argue with an idiot! They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2022, 01:04:58 AM »

Was out the other day popped to the farm shop and pork pie shop just to get away from the computer screens for half hour (work from home) took whats becoming the spare car for a run as is not moved for a couple of weeks Mercedes GL450cdi 4L V8 twin turbo diesel powered wagon, called in a Shell garage to put £50 in as the fuel needle was just above a quarter, because it’s not used much as with all our cars these days I tend to use Shell V Power Petrol/diesel I find it keeps a bit fresher for longer and keeps things nice and clean.. put £50 in got just over 22L of fuel  :thud the fuel gauge didn’t even get to half £2.25ish a litre didn’t even think to look at the pump until I was approaching £50, did just under 20 miles round trip so it cost me a tenner to fetch mi Pork pies  :shakeinghead
Don’t know how people are coping with their daily commute these days  ??? 2017-2018 my weekly commute to the office averaged 945 miles did that for a solid year, what would that cost these days!! Surely something has got to give soon, the world has gone mad   :stars

I'm looking at the possibility of a 45 minute commute one way.   :thud
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

RobS

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6572
  • .:
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2022, 06:58:09 AM »

Hi Chris

I've recently gone over to V-power in George as I did leave some E10 in from last year and had great problems to get him running again, all's good now plus an added bonus of a Shell station recently opening up the road from me - but as you said it's not cheap.

For daily driving I fill my car up about every 2 months (mainly to use the fuel up before it goes off, I could leave it longer) but the actual costs are around £18 per month for the energy used locally - this is the joys of a plug in hybrid which equals about +250 mpg. I was lucky to change when I did plus it's still a Land Rover.

Rob   
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 20 queries.