S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT, the value of airbags....  (Read 3110 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: OT, the value of airbags....
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2022, 05:45:51 AM »

Hi,

I apologise to those who are upset by my "OFFS". Regard this as a warning that I'm about to do it again ... as soon as I can think of a meaningful title.

My excuse is that I forecast a reduction in the desirability of old Land Rovers.

PS. UNANTICIPATED RESULT?

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2022, 07:41:42 AM »

My excuse is that I forecast a reduction in the desirability of old Land Rovers.

I think you are very right. Only yesterday one of our local S2C members told me that he is selling his 2A following one of his family members being involved in a serious car accident (in another vehicle). Aside from rising fuel costs, concerns about safety in a serious collision must have a significant impact on anybody's perception of wanting to use this type of vehicle as a daily runner.
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2022, 06:31:43 PM »

I certainly won't be getting rid of my Series 3 until I am now longer able to drive it. It's my only serviceable vehicle at present.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2022, 06:33:03 AM »

Hi,

To my mind, a motor vehicle represents FREEDOM ... and look what chaos that can cause.

DogDave

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7210
  • .:
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2022, 07:27:14 AM »

My choices at the moment are the series 3 ambulance or the motorbike, so I think I’m better off just not crashing. No way would you get me on a horse though. Happy to take my chances and at least if some muppet does crash into me in the S3 the big bullbar should ensure that they share some of the pain.

Airbags or not - about 20 years ago a rescue team were in a defender 110 stationary on the slow lane of a motorway, a hgv didn’t slow down (presume asleep) and hit them in the rear writing off the Land Rover and several cars in front of them as well. Everyone walked away. Consensus was if they were in any other vehicle would all be dead but although not a salvegable panel on the Land Rover the occupants were protected by the strength of the vehicle and having a real chassis.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2022, 08:09:43 AM »

Interestingly, I was told to do the opposite many years ago, and that the battery wouldn't be put under as much strain.

Hi,

I'm not sure if it relevant, but way back when, the clutch release bearing used to be a carbon ring. Nowadays, Land Rover, at least, use a ball/roller bearing, which I'm guessing has a lower Coeficient of Friction than carbon on steel.  ???  In theory, there should be little reason NOT to sit with your foot resting on the clutch pedal, other than the crank end thrust.

Discuss!

PS, If the clutch release could be by a "pincer" action, maybe the double actions would equal out, so no end thrust?

PS, My fore'n aft Douglas used a face cam to open the clutch, so little end pressure ... I think.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2022, 09:49:24 AM »

I think you are very right. Only yesterday one of our local S2C members told me that he is selling his 2A following one of his family members being involved in a serious car accident (in another vehicle). Aside from rising fuel costs, concerns about safety in a serious collision must have a significant impact on anybody's perception of wanting to use this type of vehicle as a daily runner.

I think this applies to any classic car.
Safety (cell) just wasn't an issue back in the '50s & '60s.

:blood_bus
Who's a then ?

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2022, 01:29:46 PM »

I think this applies to any classic car.

The logic of all this is that the only person who will drive a Series Land Rover like they stole it, is someone who has stolen it!

No?
                     :tiphat
"If you want to be happy, be" -  Leo Tolstoy.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2022, 05:48:03 PM »

Hi,

I got my first petrol thingy in the 1965, a 350cc OK Supreme with a JAP (Prestwich) engine. (Are JAP engines still used on speedway bikes?). Safety was just starting to become an issue ... too many young bikers hitting the railings. There was no limit on the engine size that could be ridden on a provisional licence, nor restrictions on what passengers could be carried on a combination. (Mum on the pillion, and brood in the "chair", pulled by a 1000cc JAP V-twin.

OT ... Mike Worthington Williams' first motor vehicle was a 1000cc JAP V-twin combination, that had spent it's life as a TAXI in Aberystwth (sp?), West Wales.

The last time I met Mike, I asked him what he was driving.

"A Male Menopause!"

"What's that?"

"A Ford Sierra!"

Last time I Googled Mike, I was sad to read that he had died. He was one year younger than me. But HE got a gong  for services to old clunkers. He was famous for leading long queues of of slow moving traffic, when driving "Arthur", his 1920s Austin Heavy 12.

Mum demanded that I wore a CORKER crash helmet, a huge thing, not in keeping with my (then) slight build. My RAf medical, three years later, told. me that I weighed nine and a half stone, with a 32" chest. With the helmet on, I looked like the Mekon.

I also read that Robin Rew (He who sharpens Sabres) had also departed the mortal coil. I can remember Robin's 14 year old son, in his dad's racing Scimitar GTE, competing against Barbara, (grass Autotest) at the first Sabre Day, at Droys Court.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 19 queries.