S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Electric Defender kits  (Read 2404 times)

Ed Straker

• Director
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3460
  • .:
Re: Electric Defender kits
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2022, 03:14:10 PM »

I thought this video was quite interesting as EV vehicles commence life on the dealership floor with a larger carbon debt which evens out and then passes ICE vehicles later in life.

The speaker is of the opinion that the petrol hybrid is the winner under current technology/infrastructure.

I am sure Wittsend has said on more than one occasion that the PTO hole is perfect for an electric motor in place of the overdrive.

Maybe he is on the money!!

https://www.ted.com/talks/graham_conway_the_contradictions_of_battery_operated_vehicles

Ed Straker

• Director
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3460
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2022, 03:59:02 PM »

On a bit more of a look it seems the video above has been panned as propaganda of the Oil industry seeking to delay adoption. Looks like more homework for me.  At least I know the difference between TED Talks and TEDx. :thud

DogDave

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7210
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2022, 05:18:30 PM »

On a bit more of a look it seems the video above has been panned as propaganda of the Oil industry seeking to delay adoption. Looks like more homework for me.  At least I know the difference between TED Talks and TEDx. :thud

Both the oil industry and renewable industry are massive PR machines and spin a lot their own way. Believe none of what you hear and less than half of what you read as the old saying goes. There’s a lot of politics and twisting of statistics (I left working in renewable energy years ago as couldn’t cope with the behaviour of the companies who would say anything to get a sale and couldn’t care less what happened to the customer.

It’s virtually impossible to find an unbiased view on the subject of anything renewable or green so all I think you can do is go with gut instinct

LN11AAB498A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7099
  • .:
  • 2A or not 2A that is the question Will Shakespeare
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2022, 06:17:21 PM »

^^^^^ Very true.

The Guardian newspaper, not known as being right wing, published this interesting article.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/aug/20/electric-car-batteries-what-happens-to-them
Fred

Blessed are they who endure life with a silly name

linesrg

• Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2022, 09:29:55 PM »

Good Evening All,

Renault's original plan was to recycle UBG battery packs in domestic battery storage units but the plan sort of went off the rails when it became apparent that the batteries didn't deteriorate at the rate anticipated.

Using batteries for energy storage like this is a brilliant second use.  It also allows more time for recycling at scale to develop.

The battery manufacturers are driving the percentage of lithium in batteries down (there is a Fully Charged episode about this) where they can and other technologies are in the pipeline.

I repeat ALL the talking up of hydrogen is driven by the FF industry, they are very powerful lobbyists and doing an awful lot to delay the arrival of any alternatives to hydrocarbons.  I see they are now being likened to the tobacco giants in avoiding doing what they know is necessary to change!  If the oil companies put the money they put in to developing new oil into alternatives we'd have found solutions a long time ago.

Regards

Richard

scottuh1

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6230
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2022, 03:37:21 PM »

I thought this video was quite interesting as EV vehicles commence life on the dealership floor with a larger carbon debt which evens out and then passes ICE vehicles later in life.

The speaker is of the opinion that the petrol hybrid is the winner under current technology/infrastructure.

I am sure Wittsend has said on more than one occasion that the PTO hole is perfect for an electric motor in place of the overdrive.

Maybe he is on the money!!

https://www.ted.com/talks/graham_conway_the_contradictions_of_battery_operated_vehicles

Interesting idea. I wonder if it would be possible just to have an electric motor for the cruise or even just to aid it?  ???
1970 88" Petrol Hard Top - Undergoing Practical Rebuild.
Ex-pat Geordie living in Norfolk.

Old Hywel

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6823
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2022, 11:48:11 PM »

I’ve just read the article in CLR describing the battery powered S1. At a minimum of £20,000 (plus VAT) for the conversion, it is, to my mind, a major investment.
I’m puzzled as to what is the goal in such a major reworking. Working on the assumption that the most environmentally-friendly vehicle is the one you already own, I can’t see that the manufacture and installation of a complete new drivetrain is going to do much to save the planet.
My personal transport consists of two ageing TDI Passats, one for best and one for everyday. With a total mileage of well over 400 thousand miles, they’re both nicely run in, and fuel consumption is around 50MPG, depending on use.
I struggle to see how an electric vehicle (or conversion) could be better for the environment or my pocket.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2022, 05:19:37 AM »

I struggle to see how an electric vehicle (or conversion) could be better for the environment or my pocket.

Hi,

The planet has little interest in saving me, as an individual. The Government has little interest in me moving around the planet, other than as a function of productivity.

Perhaps I should retire to a mountain top in Wales, with a herd of Lamas ... economical meat, clothing, leather, milk, fertiliser, central heating, transport, company, etc. But a warning ... if you keep a "stallion", buy a dart gun.

Perhaps pigs and goats would be better for starters. It is possible to run an IC engine on pig zorst.

Er, at what price would it be viable to encourage the "Snip" as a means of population control? How many here have read "Ender's Game"?

Rustandoil

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7844
  • .:
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2022, 12:12:06 PM »

Tom

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3375
  • .:
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2022, 12:33:08 PM »

Im enjoying this build :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6WhxN5IoPQ

Hadnt seen that, so thanks for the link! Something to have a look at tonight!
 :cheers

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2022, 04:42:08 PM »

This may be a question that all except me know the answer to :-[
but.. how much does the electricity cost to charge a series Land Rover sized car from flat to fully charged, asuming stadard rate tariff ???

ian_1968

• Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2022, 07:27:29 PM »

Oil Stain - I have an EV Car - it has a 77KWH battery pack - If its flat it takes 77KWH to charge, 77 Kwh x Cost per KW on the tarriff you use to charge it up. So if you charge it up using solar energy = zero (But may take 10 hours to charge for example if you have a 7KWH charger) if you use some of the super and hyper chargers (If you can) then they charge .69p per KWH at that rate £53 to fully charge but in 18 minutes (they are 250 - 300 KWH chargers) you pay for speed as with al;l things automotive.

But different cars have different charging characteristics - battery sizes and charge speeds

Ian
Many a Land Rover has passed my door, I am still soaking up the oil they left.

ian_1968

• Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2022, 07:32:07 PM »

None of the discussion above seems to suggest synthetic fuel yet Porsche and F1 are all making strides forward. It is not easy and needs solar or wind power to be truely beneficial. The Porsche development is quite exciting as they are committed to keeping the Porsche classics going if trhey can. https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/tech/porsche-synthetic-fuels/

Hydrogen does not seem to attract investment and business looks elsewhere. Battery / EV is a good stop gap.

Ian

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2022, 07:09:17 AM »

Hi,

What happens to our atmosphere if millions of people collect hydrogen, and store it in their car's tanks. Will the then oxygen rich atmosphere burn up my body cells?

Will all the water (pure H2O) dripping out of car exhausts cause flooding along the M4?

I think I'm joking, but can you have too much of a good thing?

602 Who has pondered on windmill powered land yachts (which will work whichever way the wind is blowing) and trains that use gravity to coast down hill, and use river water to lift them back up to their original elevation, for the return journey.  :stars  Can anybody explain how a ram-pump works?

g6anz

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1690
  • .:
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2022, 08:58:51 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 19 queries.