S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Insurance Renewal  (Read 1157 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: Insurance Renewal
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2022, 04:17:49 AM »

Hi,.

I BELIEVE that insurers have quirky little rules that are difficult to understand ... or in my case, remember.

I believe that the premium can be affected favourably by having/not having a second driver, or by having (or having access to) a second vehicle ... would a street legal moped be sufficient and viable?

I can accept that a high annual mileage attracts a high premium, but I believe a low annual mileage can also adversely affect the premium. ???O

Slightly OT, but I investigated my own insurers (LV), some years ago, and found they DO/DID insure Classic cars. My failing memory suggests that they had only one premium .... in double figures, but required it to be a second car, to be kept in a garage overnight, and limited to 5,000 miles per year. At that time, I did not have a garage, and it was my only car, so did not investigate further.

Things have changed ... Barbara's Hyundai (bought new) hit it's first MOT, with less than 10,000 miles on the clock, (mostly my miles), and my Freelander covered 2,284 miles during my first year of ownership. As it's next MOT was a freebie PRE-MOT, there is no record of the then mileage. My relationship with the garage who presented the car, on my behalf, was somewhat soured by their offer to buy. (£25, later raised to £50, with the FULL tank of diesel. not being factored in).

FAO. Dan.

PS. It's just dawned on me that Barbara's Hyundai IX20 is coming up for it's fourth birthday, and (I think) insurance renewal time. I'll check that and PM you. I'd like to stay with LV, but not if they are going to play "hardball".

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: Insurance Renewal
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2022, 06:35:07 AM »

We get the lowest price if that is what we want.

Hi,

Quite a few years ago, I read advice, to the effect ... "For TPO (Third Party Only) cover, take the lowest premium offered .... THEY HAVE TO PAY THE OTHER BLOKE.

On the other hand, for Fully Comp cover, where they pay YOU, you should choose the Insurer who gives the best service, coz it's you who will suffer if they muck you about.

More recently, I have read that TPO insurance can be more expensive than Fully Comp, but I didn't understand the reasons given.

I always choose to pay the extra  (£10?) for Legal Cover, and was proved right when Barbara's SAAB was written-off by the tail-lift of an under-taking supermarket articulated pantechnicon, that changed lanes. This was on a 50mph "road-works" section of the M4. Undertaking is permitted (Highway Code), when the inner line of traffic is travelling faster than the outer line
(you are not allowed to repeatedly zig-zag through the traffic). Barbara managed to phone me with the trucks registration, while chasing it.

With hindsight, a dash-cam would have been useful. Thinks ... where can I get a label saying ... "Rear view camera fitted".

The owners of the truck ignored all letters ... apparently they were self-insured (permitted by the RTA, but requires a lot of money to be deposited with the Attorney General. Don't bother unless LOTTO are funding it. £1,000,000 last time I looked, which wasn't recently. I think it's mentioned in the RTA .... Para.143? It also mentions that the Insurers may sue the Policy Holder, to recover their losses, but I've never heard of that happening.

Also OT. When the XKE was introduced (1971? About £1,000, I think) the insurance companies received a lot of proposals from 21 year old "Motor Traders"  :whistle One of my RAF mates had watched Jaguar shares rising, guessed somebody knew something, but couldn't do anything, as he was currently involved in a X-Flight convoy.

Very OT ... Barbara mentioned that photo driving licences were going to be introduced. Our son phoned his mate, who bought shares in a photo-booth company ... and made a killing.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.