S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Roadside Assistance - Looking for suggestions  (Read 2493 times)

Alan

• Chassis welder
  • .:
  • Keeper of XHJ 922
Roadside Assistance - Looking for suggestions
« on: June 22, 2022, 12:10:18 PM »

I have just received my reminder from The AA to renew my roadside breakdown cover . . .

What roadside breakdown services are other owners using?

Has anyone done a price comparison?

I need the cover for my Freelander 2 and Series 2

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
Re: Roadside Assistance - Looking for suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 12:30:28 PM »

A lot of insurance policies now include Road-side rescue/recovery and you can bundle several cars on one policy.

If you (or a family member) have ever worked for the civil service (even if it were just for 1 day) you can get a good deal with the CSMA and Britannia Rescue

Whilst we can recommend various rescue services everyone's circumstances and requirements differ, so doing you own "comparing" will get you your best deal.

:AA ??? :RAC

Who's a then ?

martinthefirst

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4519
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 12:40:16 PM »

I have been with GEM:

https://www.motoringassist.com/

for some years after some diabolical experiences with the AA & RAC. They have been very good on the two occasions I have needed to call on their services.
Land Rover Series IIA 1964, 3.9 V8, Designa chassis
Morris Minor Convertible 1961

mrscruffs

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6909
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2022, 01:42:35 PM »

As mentioned, a lot of insurance companies have included cover, as do many banks - Halifax do basic AA cover for example.

Personally, if I didn’t already have cover through the bank, I’d be going back to the AA. But that’s just based on previous good service. Always worth reading the small print for any new cover because some outfits won’t cover cars over 10/15 years old depending on the type of policy you have - Green Flag personal policy for example.

If you can face a call to the AA then you should phone and ask for a much better deal or you will go elsewhere. Normally results in a more sensible number!

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022, 02:26:52 PM »

I get full AA cover through my Bank account and at the time when setting it up they said covering classic cars was not a problem.
This was years ago - and I've never used them.

My Britannia Rescue covers ME for whatever vehicle I'm in, whether I'm driving or being a passenger.
If you go abroad you need to check if you have continental recovery and whether they have an English call centre (unless you are fluent in foreign languages).
I've called them out twice regarding the LWT breaking down. Once from the other end of the village and again from the bottom of our road - including the Sankey with a sofa on board.

You need to check if Home Start (flat batteries and the like) is included.

:breakdown truck

When I had my recent accident (not my fault)  LV insurance sorted every thing out within 20 minutes of the impact.

LN11AAB498A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7099
  • .:
  • 2A or not 2A that is the question Will Shakespeare
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2022, 03:06:00 PM »

Comprehensive cover with Britannia Rescue, if I`m in the car the car`s covered  :first   
Fred

Blessed are they who endure life with a silly name

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 33
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2022, 08:36:03 PM »

Lots of companies offering varying levels of cover, definitely shop around. I was with the RAC for over 30 years then realised they where charging me extra for loyalty.
A mistake not to be repeated, I now shop round each year. The likes of Britannia get some good reviews but for a little extra I stay with the RAC or AA.
Also check cashback sites, I have had £100 back twice when paying over £200 for cover. Also read the small print on 'offers' I was caught out by the AA with their 'two years for one price' deal.
As an aside, my Dad was with the RAC as a Member for a few years. He left when he got cover included with Insurance. Again with the RAC but as an indirect member. When he had cause to call them out it was a different number to phone and the wait time was very long. So long his phone battery went flat. But they did apologise with a cash sum  :tiphat
I do wonder if it is a different level of service for indirect members ?  ???
Bottom line, decide what you want and what you need. Shop around.

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2022, 08:47:06 PM »

Comprehensive cover with Britannia Rescue, if I`m in the car the car`s covered  :first

Likewise
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an-appen nob'dee'll notice."

daugs

• .:
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2022, 09:18:50 PM »

I've avoided the AA after some very bad experiences, and I foolishly gave them a second chance, but I still recall when they left a young mother with her 9 and 7 year old kids stranded late at night (I was the 9 year old), an old trucker who had stopped off in the pub car park where she had managed to pull over after brake failure, came to our aide and we got home on our own. The car was a Hilman minx as an everyday car...........

For several years relied upon cover with insurance, then moved to person based policies with RAC in 2008 as was cheapest. It has to be said the RAC has been brilliant as our fleet of everyday cars aged. In the last 12 months they have recovered us from the highlands of Scotland to London by taxi late on a Saturday, arriving in London at 3am Sunday, when the vw golf died. When our vw polo died with electrical problems they arrived within 10 minutes, spent 2 hours late at night trying to fix and then recovered us to a local garage, and then gave me a lift home which was only a mile away from garage but again late at night. As has been said, it is worth negotiating when it comes to renewal, and that is needed with the RAC, but that seems standard with everything these days, phones, utilities, insurance etc etc

I think it's when it goes really bad is when you need the good service, but it seems some of the time work is subcontracted out and dependent on local providers whoever you are with. One thing is for sure, recovering a vehicle without cover, which I did once back in 1989 teaches to always have some type of cover if just to remove your car off the motorway after an accident.

David

1975 SIII Lightweight with Essex V6 conversion in bits (53GF29)
1974 SIII Lightweight (72AM66 - formerly with RAF Lossiemouth)
1971 Sankey narrow track (68FK00)
1959 Austin Healey 3000 2 seater (BN7)

chughes5

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 5353
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2022, 12:46:46 PM »

whatver cover you have, check it actually covers old landrovers - some of the standard policies have vehicle age limits of max 10-15 years old

LN11AAB498A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7099
  • .:
  • 2A or not 2A that is the question Will Shakespeare
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2022, 11:19:06 PM »

Coincidently I needed them today. Called Britannia Rescue at 15.15 and they arrived at 16.00. We were quickly taken onto the very garage we had been heading for anyway.
And there wasn't any question about the age of the LR.
From the time I made the call to the arrival of the transporter was 45 minutes, now that is customer service. Britannia Rescue  :first

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2022, 07:41:10 AM »

If you go abroad you need to check if you have continental recovery

Hi Alan,

OT, but short, and might amuse you ....

My sister's husband's MG Spridget fell off the recovery lorry while on it's way back from France. This was a long time ago, when the car was nearly new.

Kernowcam

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2022, 04:18:02 PM »

I get annoyed with the rac charging more for loyalty but you have to be prepared to question them.
They have been good and cover me and my wife personally regardless of vehicles.

Our camper is over 10:years old and the rac and aa won’t touch them. Not sure if they cover old landy. The age thing is why I stick with them.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2022, 05:59:10 PM »

Hi,

One dark, wet, windy, morning, Barbara was side swiped by the tailgate of an undertaking articulated supermarket pantecnicon (sp?) which didn't stop. She turn round at the next junction, and was heading for home, when she spied a police car on it's elevated car park.

Plod said to car recovery, as the damage had taken all the lights out.

Plod uttered a "mighty oath" when Britannia rolled up ... just 20 minutes later.

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 33
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2022, 07:10:58 PM »

Hi,

One dark, wet, windy, morning, Barbara was side swiped by the tailgate of an undertaking articulated supermarket pantecnicon (sp?) which didn't stop. She turn round at the next junction, and was heading for home, when she spied a police car on it's elevated car park.

Plod said to car recovery, as the damage had taken all the lights out.

Plod uttered a "mighty oath" when Britannia rolled up ... just 20 minutes later.

pantecnicon - Don't know it it is the correct spelling but sure is a word from the past. Called draw-bar and trailer these days I believe ?
I won't repeat my tale of several hours waiting for the RAC late one night, whilst within walking distance of their control centre !
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 19 queries.