S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Insurance,  (Read 2539 times)

Grandadrob

• Master of the oils
  • More questions than answers.
Insurance,
« on: July 03, 2022, 07:56:55 PM »

I am going to collect a Landy for a friend. I can drive, on my insurance, a vehicle, not owned by me, presumably on a 3rd party basis. But, does that vehicle have to be insured by the owner as well ?
1955 86inch petrol.
1960 88inch Diesel.
2013 FFRR SDV8 4.4

Jimbo

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 236
  • .:
Re: Insurance,
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2022, 08:14:02 PM »

Yes, I believe it does.
James

Member: 236
1959 Series 2 88” 2.25 Petrol
2016 Discovery 4 SDV6
2017 Suzuki Jimny

martinthefirst

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4519
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2022, 08:16:39 PM »

It definitely does, but there are quite a few daily/hourly  insurance options, here's one: https://www.rac.co.uk/insurance/temporary-car-insurance
Land Rover Series IIA 1964, 3.9 V8, Designa chassis
Morris Minor Convertible 1961

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 33
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2022, 09:38:34 PM »

Your current insurer may also allow you to add temporary insurance, for a fee ...

DogDave

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7210
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2022, 06:49:10 AM »

Worth knowing if you do this a bit that Flux let you upgrade your driving other cars to fully comprehensive for £25 a year. (Fairly sure would still need to be insured elsewhere).

I have this as it’s pretty good value for piece of mind that whatever I borrow or shift for someone is covered. Sadly not heard of anyone else offering it as I’d imagine it’s useful to a lot of people.

Clifford Pope

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3129
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2022, 07:36:59 AM »

Short term insurance buys cover to drive a car for an hour, a day, etc. That could be someone else's car, or it could be your own car, say if you have just bought it and want cover to drive it home, or you want to collect it for a friend.
In the the first case the car might well already have insurance, but in the second it obviously wouldn't.

So does "Driving other cars" insurance always mean it acts like the first case, not the second? The terms don't seem to make the distinction very clear, especially as there is a kind of DOC cover that does act as in the first example.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2022, 07:38:21 AM »

Hi,

My understanding is that the insurers have difficulty avoiding paying Third Party claims, when the claimant was complying with the wording on the CERTIFICATE (The Policy document has very little clout)

However, the RTA (I think para 143) covers insurance. There is something in the Act that says the Insurers may sue their client to recover their (the insurers) losses. To my uneducated mind, that Para permits the Insurers to sue the Policyholder, to recover their losses, whatever the circumstances. I would be very happy to be wrong.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2022, 07:59:33 AM »

Hi,

Regarding DRIVING ANY OTHER CAR.

My understanding is that what it says your CERTIFICATE OF INSURANCE is written in stonr, but ....

If a car is not insured in it's own right, the VED is void. I don't know if the same applies to an expired MOT. ???

I assume that an uninsured car IS insured if you are driving it on your "ANY OTHER CAR" clause. But the instant you step out of it, the car will revert to being uninsured, unless it's owner keeper has insurance cover.  Which if he doesn't will make him liable for insurance and VED penalties.

I don't know if driving with an expired MOT will void the RFL.  To my mind, DVLC could prosecute for no RFL, but scarcely worth it if they are holding the VED (No back duty to be claimed).

Hmmm! If insurance expires, the VED should be refunded (automatically?) .... but is it possible to tax a car for longer than the unexpired period of insurance? There's something in my mind ... but it was a long time ago, and possibly only a proposal.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2022, 08:53:38 AM »

Hi,

Searching but not finding.

In Malaya (mid-1960s) you could not tax a vehicle beyond the expiry date of the insurance.

And I just found this .....which seems to say that if you don't declare SORN, you can also be done for NO INSURANCE. Double Whammy.

Any motor propelled vehicle which is not subject to a Statutory off road Notice (SORN), must be insured for a minimum of third party risk. If you
own or use a vehicle that is not SORN, the offence is committed.    Section 143 of the Road Traffic Act 1988

Clifford Pope

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2022, 10:14:48 AM »

I thought in the UK it was the driver who was insured, not the vehicle? is it actually possible to insure a car that has no drivers?

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2022, 10:45:57 AM »

^^^ Quite so ......

Who has "3rd party" these days ???
In some cases it's more than "fully comp" insurance.

When an uninsured driver damages their own vehicle - then tough luck.

In this country you only need insurance cover on the 1st day that your VED runs from.
When you take out an insurance policy you have a 14 day cooling off period, then you can cancel the insurance.

The "types" who drive with no insurance, no road tax, no MoT (and no valid driving license) just don't care 2 hoots.
If you watch day-time TV there's loads of programmes with police cars chasing uninsured drivers.
At best they get a slap on the wrist and nothing much else happens.

We all pay for this out of our premiums, the insurance companies never lose out.

:RHD
Who's a then ?

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 33
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2022, 07:31:19 PM »

I thought in the UK it was the driver who was insured, not the vehicle? is it actually possible to insure a car that has no drivers?
The driver is insured to drive a particular vehicle or vehicles. So you can't insure your Series 2, then hop in a Rangerover and automatically be covered.
It should state on your Policy if driving other vehicles is covered. The very small print will say subject to that vehicle being insured and even smaller print that it is road legal.
Unless specific cover is arranged all cases only cover 3rd party.
Short term insurance will usually be on a fully comp basis but does vary, so check if needed.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

• Chassis welder
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2022, 08:03:12 PM »

I am going to collect a Landy for a friend. I can drive, on my insurance, a vehicle, not owned by me, presumably on a 3rd party basis. But, does that vehicle have to be insured by the owner as well ?
Hi.
Yes the other vehicle would need to be insured as well otherwise it won't show on the Motor Insurance Database.
Regards,
Dan.

Clifford Pope

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2022, 08:01:52 AM »

I went to look at a car, bought it, rang up and got instant insurance cover over the phone, got tax, and drove it home. That wouldn't have been on either data base.

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2022, 09:27:17 AM »

It can take up to 5 days for an insured vehicle to get on the database.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.