S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jacking a Series.  (Read 912 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Jacking a Series.
« on: July 04, 2022, 09:19:02 AM »

Hi,

I don't remember if this specific subject has been covered recently.

If you jack up one, or both, rear wheel of a Series, the hand brake will not prevent the truck rolling away, unless 4WD (preferably LO) is engaged.

And even then, if the truck is on a cross-slope, the rear end can move sideways, with the front wheels turning in opposite directions. Maybe it would be sensible to wedge the brake pedal hard down, too.

Maybe a club entrepreneur could develop special tressles (non-toppable).

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
Re: Jacking a Series.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 09:47:58 AM »

I generally chock the wheels to stop any movement.  A Land Rover  Fire engine  I had once , had a lock valve in the brake line that if you pressed the foot brake hard on and  turned/removed the key out of the lock, they were locked on until the key was returned and the valve released.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 05:24:50 AM »

A Land Rover  Fire engine  I had once , had a lock valve in the brake line

Hi,

I once read, can't remember where, that such devices are illegal. Maybe the Fire Service have special dispensation?

I have also read, more recently, welding the steering is not permitted ... and, thinking back, I cannot remember any such welding leaving the factory.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 06:03:29 AM »

Hi,

I just done a Google for  "fitting check valve in hydraulic brake system"

There seem to be plenty of results and solutions, so I withdraw my comment about it being illegal to fit such devices.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 08:16:34 AM »

A Land Rover  Fire engine  I had once , had a lock valve in the brake line

I have also read, more recently, welding the steering is not permitted ... and, thinking back, I cannot remember any such welding leaving the factory.

I think that may be true in service, in that a garage should not weld up a steering shaft for example, but clearly there is welding in manufacture. Series inner steering columns are three parts welded together for a start.

If a web breaks off a series 1 80" steering box, is a competent TIG welder not able to repair it? I've heard people say this is law, but never actually seen it in print.
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2022, 12:50:22 PM »

I've heard people say this is law, but never actually seen it in print.

Hi Diffwhine,

It may be in the Construction & Use regulations, and only applicable to new build, or maybe Radically Altered inspections.

I have vague memories of reading (in Motor Sport magazine?) probably during the late 1950s, or early 1960s, of rivalry between Austin and MG, to build the first successful 750cc racing car.to win finish at Le Mans. Circa 1956, I paid the statutory cup of coffee (South Croydon Coffee Bar) for a ride round the block in a 750cc "factory MG ... the one that siezed up at Le Mans, after 23 hours in the early 1930s. I'd read about the Austin 7 contender (Le Austin cette Marche. (Pardon my French!) in Motor Sport magazine, during my two month stay in Croydon General Hospital with a fractured femur ... bicycle verses unlit lamp-post. The MG was pretty ... tiny, with a bull-nose radiator, and pointed tail, but by that time the super-charger had been removed.

For a similar fee, I went airborne in an XK140, going UP Sanderstead  Hill. at 100mph plus, and yet again, a very pretty Ford 10 Special, built by Cooper, on a FIAT 500 (Topolino) chassis.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.