S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Wheeler Dealers 14/7/22.  (Read 1546 times)

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
Wheeler Dealers 14/7/22.
« on: July 14, 2022, 07:05:20 PM »

I've just finished watching this. OK it was a Series 3 featured bough for $13,500, oil leaks cured with little expense and the smokey diesel cured by advancing the timing.
A PTO winch with transfer box PTO was bought for $9,000 and a propshaft made out of double D section bar.
Not much else needed doing and a deal was struck to sell it for for $23,000 if it could climb a steep incline to the top of a hill. To show off the winch was used to help although it didn't need it.
Interesting but "made for television" attitude spoiled it a bit.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

A-Ro

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1998
  • .:
Re: Wheeler Dealers 14/7/22.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 01:48:05 PM »

I do like watching them but they do make jobs look so simple when you know damned well it would take you a day and a half to do that and that’s without having to drill out the snapped off bolt.
When designing something to be foolproof never underestimate the ingenuity of fools.

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 02:10:55 PM »

I thought they were going to replace the springs and I wanted to watch them just undo and extract the spring eye bolts but if they did do so it wasn't screened as it would have taken far too long!

• Master of the oils
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 02:16:57 PM »

I recall ed china seemingly used threaded bar to attach shock absorbers when they did the s2a bug out lwb.

This looked like it would foul on the tyre as it was so long.

A-Ro

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1998
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2022, 04:59:12 PM »

The latest Salvage Hunters - Classic Cars where they did a 2a the original had a post 1967 plastic steering wheel yet the finished vehicle had a 4 wire steering wheel and not once did they mention about changing the steering column or indicators or horn. As I said, I do enjoy watching these programmes but I wish they would give us the full story warts and all. I’d much rather that than the puerile pranks that Tim Shaw gets up to on Car SOS.

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2022, 06:48:40 PM »

Make it too serious and the unintelligentia would rapidly lose interest. All TV programs are aimed at the morons nowadays. Just look how Top Gear has evolved from a serious program to the utter drivel it is now.

Mr Ed

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6928
  • .:
  • Everyday better...
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2022, 10:53:23 PM »

Thanks to restoration programs, many people buy old vehicles, without realizing the real work involved in restoring or simply maintaining one.
All of us who repair our cars know what it means to maintain them, and we know that for something to look good, many times you have to study and investigate well before just changing a part.

Television makes everything ridiculous and simple. and in many programs they don't even get their hands dirty. ???

As they say, most of these programs are to entertain, rather than to show reality, many times things do not go as one would like...

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2022, 05:57:10 AM »

I thought they were going to replace the springs and I wanted to watch them just undo and extract the spring eye bolts but if they did do so it wasn't screened as it would have taken far too long!

Hi Neil,

I did not see this program, so cannot comment on what you didn't see.

However, personally ... if faced with a compete set of spring-eye bushes ... I would take the easy option and buy a new chassis, and everything needed to hang it on four new springs. OK, the purists will probably regard that as cheating. I regard it as the best way of getting a pile of scrap back on the road, for my own enjoyment. It also means that I don't have to pay for a truck with a viable chassis, nor somebody else's abandoned project. But each to his own.

I have seen a half-page advertisement in one of the (UK) Classic Car magazines, by a firm somewhere up up North (but South of the town that is technically still at war with Russia, think "Charge of the Light Brigade"). A few years ago this firm was advertising that they could acid dip, and neutralise (?) your monocoque body-shell, for about £600. Memory tells me that they could/would also do some some panel repairs. I did not investigate .

Hmmm! Acid dipping! Would that be a good way de-gunging a bare axle case? And an aluminium axle case? I assume that galvanising an axle case would not be a good idea? Stove enamel?

I wonder if Alan still has a copy of my first rebuild, FEU245, a 1957 88" S1, on an S3 Marsland chassis, in bare aluminium. The photo was taken in France. If not, Google will find an image, although a more recent owner has painted my Brillo-ed aluminium (as was his right). If you get to see my photo, you will notice there are no bulkhead vents. That's because I cobbled a new bulkhead out of 3mm thick plate and SHS.

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2022, 07:39:06 AM »

I believe Berwick on Tweed is still at war with Russia if my limited knowledge of history serves me correctly.

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2022, 08:46:41 AM »

Thanks to restoration programs, many people buy old vehicles, without realizing the real work involved in restoring or simply maintaining one.
All of us who repair our cars know what it means to maintain them, and we know that for something to look good, many times you have to study and investigate well before just changing a part.

Television makes everything ridiculous and simple. and in many programs they don't even get their hands dirty. ???

As they say, most of these programs are to entertain, rather than to show reality, many times things do not go as one would like...

Having worked on a couple of TV sets I can confirm everything is done purely for superficial appearances, this equally applies to "home improvement" shows and such. It's amazing the spaces you can create with plywood, cardboard and duck tape, and lashings of paint....

Mr Ed

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • .:
  • Everyday better...
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2022, 06:11:23 PM »

I thought so,  ???       thanks for the info.
Cheers  :cheers

LN11AAB498A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7099
  • .:
  • 2A or not 2A that is the question Will Shakespeare
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2022, 07:27:50 PM »

As they say, most of these programs are to entertain ....

I wish they did "entertain", because I find most of them immensely irritating. With one or two exceptions, their presenters are egotistical juvenile clowns.
Recently an episode of Car SOS was broadcast over two days while completing a LR Series 2a in 7 days. Thinking it looked different I recorded it. How wrong I was, thankfully the fast-forward button came to my rescue, absolute rubbish!!!!!
Fred

Blessed are they who endure life with a silly name

Mr Ed

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • .:
  • Everyday better...
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2022, 02:31:11 AM »

If you really get your hands dirty... most of those videos you find silly...

Geoffrey Croker's videos are much more entertaining and educational   :first

• Master of the oils
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2022, 01:31:23 PM »

I am all for original as factory built it, if that makes me a rivet counter then guilty as charged.

When the various programmes "restore to original" and make blatant deviation unless it is an adaptation (to enable or assist a driver owner with a disability for example) that can be reversed or deleted that is concealed it aggravates me no end.

Mr pritchards colour choices for example.

Factory anomalies do interest me and fascinate me.  The department that later became special vehicles akin to bonds Q division nailing this and that to a standard vehicle to make it do a task at customers request.

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2022, 03:18:42 PM »

Without rivet counters there wouldn't be many "as left the factory"  vehicles about. I'm not and my Series 3 is nothing like when it left the factory but I do like seeing vehicles in absolutely original condition and I admire the patience and tenacity of those who restore them to that condition.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 19 queries.