S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine markings  (Read 572 times)

discosport152

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 7968
  • .:
Engine markings
« on: August 11, 2022, 10:30:26 AM »

Can anyone tell me why my 1963 2.25 engine has got the number 875 stancilled on the block in cream number plate sized letters?.Engine colour is a silver/grey on the outside and cream on the inside.Engine number is 25142320C.Thanks.

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
Re: Engine markings
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2022, 11:20:10 AM »

I'm not sure the reason for the stencil has been fully established, but a line number seems the most plausible theory so far.

As an aside, most (all?) earlier blocks have a casting date on them in the format of day, month, year. This is a useful way of determining whether an engine is likely original to the vehicle it's fitted in.

This date is extremely difficult to see when the engine is in the vehicle and the manifolds are fitted, but a decent phone camera can help.

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2022, 06:10:15 PM »

This question has come up many, many times over the years.

From memory, the stencilled number was said to have more to do with the Company that cast the block, than with Rover/Land Rover.
"If you want to be happy, be" -  Leo Tolstoy.

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2022, 08:34:34 PM »

From memory, the stencilled number was said to have more to do with the Company that cast the block, than with Rover/Land Rover.

I'd be surprised if that was the case as the number is stencilled on over the grey engine paint, which was likely applied by Rover once the head and water pump had been fitted judging by original untouched engines I have/have seen.

I'd suggest it was an engine line assembly number applied as the engine was being built up, but that's just a theory.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.