S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Insurance thoughts  (Read 2003 times)

TimT

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 6281
  • .:
  • 1961 Series 2
Insurance thoughts
« on: August 17, 2022, 09:59:02 AM »

Good Morning

I'm just looking around at different insurance quotes. I've used Hagerty vehicle valuation tool but has anyone got anything good or bad to say about actually insuring through Hagerty as their quote came back quite reasonable?

Thanks

Tim

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
Re: Insurance thoughts
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 10:15:29 AM »

I've been with Footman James for a number of years, with a agreed value 3 Land Rover policy, they are easy to deal with, you may get cheaper but whilst price is a factor, how they deal with a claim is key, but I'm glad to say so far no claim :RHD

Ian F

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7756
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 10:38:14 AM »

I'm alsowith Footman James. Very clear what you are getting and with several choices to make. With my previous insurer it became increasingly unclear as to whether I had agreed value or market value cover, so I opted for clarity.

Ian F
1961 SWB Basic petrol 2.25

Clifford Pope

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3129
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 11:36:48 AM »

I'm with Peter James. It says it is Agreed Value, but then I suppose nothing is actually agreed until the day when suddenly it isn't.

Supercal2007

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5376
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 01:07:31 PM »

Hello all. As has been said before, you only find out if the cover offered is accurate when you have to make a claim. Then all the excuses under the sun get rolled out. I hate all insurance companies and brokers, not just Adrian Flux and Zurich who are top of the tree when it comes to trumped up nonsense spouting. My rule of thumb now ? cheapest quote possible, accuracy ? who cares, they will wangle out of it anyway. Just renewed another vehicle policy on Monday, £35 ! for the year. In my opinion the UK should adopt the insurance system as per countries like Brazil  -entirely optional. This is of course my opinion and as you can probably gather I have had a couple of very bitter tasting encounters with the aforementioned idiots. I am obviously aware of the implications of not having insurance, my feelings may mellow with time, but Adrian Flux and Zurich can whistle for all eternity !

Calum

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

• Chassis welder
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2022, 08:21:51 PM »

Hi.
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you wish.
Regards,
Dan.

ChrisJC

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5547
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2022, 08:46:56 PM »

I have used Adrian Flux for decades, and have not had any cause for complaint.

Chris.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2022, 06:17:27 AM »

but whilst price is a factor, how they deal with a claim is key,

Hi,

Many yonks ago, when everybody drove their jalopies on TPO, a magazine pointed out that you might as well accept the cheapest quote ...; it wouldn't be the Policyholder (you) who would be making the claim, and the courts would decide the size of the payout.

Nowadays, it seems that TPO premiums aim to discourage that option ... Fully Comp can be cheaper. I wonder why?

When Barbara voluntarily surrendered her driving licence (because she is bed-bound) she renewed the insurance on her Hyundai, keeping herself as the Registered Keeper (one owner car), with me as the only named driver. (I was/am the only named driver on my Freelander). Our combined premiums increased by £200, to £900.

We intend to "rationalise" our fleet, dropping to just one vehicle, probably a new Dacia, when  the Motor Trade reverts to normal trading. Somebody remind me to visit our local Hyundai main dealer, to see what they will offer for Barbara's sub-4 year old iX20.

My carer has arrived ... wants me in the shower ... NOW!

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2022, 11:27:07 AM »

Hello all. As has been said before, you only find out if the cover offered is accurate when you have to make a claim. Then all the excuses under the sun get rolled out. I hate all insurance companies and brokers, not just Adrian Flux and Zurich who are top of the tree when it comes to trumped up nonsense spouting. My rule of thumb now ? cheapest quote possible, accuracy ? who cares, they will wangle out of it anyway. Just renewed another vehicle policy on Monday, £35 ! for the year. In my opinion the UK should adopt the insurance system as per countries like Brazil  -entirely optional. This is of course my opinion and as you can probably gather I have had a couple of very bitter tasting encounters with the aforementioned idiots. I am obviously aware of the implications of not having insurance, my feelings may mellow with time, but Adrian Flux and Zurich can whistle for all eternity !

Calum

I'm very much of the same opinion Calum, insurance is a massive scam as far as I'm concerned and should be entirely optional.

ChrisJC

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5547
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2022, 11:41:15 AM »

I'm very much of the same opinion Calum, insurance is a massive scam as far as I'm concerned and should be entirely optional.

So who pays when you run into the back of my L405 Range Rover and the replacement cost is £50K? I'm not sure that many people have that sort of spare cash.

Chris.

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2022, 12:55:09 PM »

So who pays when you run into the back of my L405 Range Rover and the replacement cost is £50K? I'm not sure that many people have that sort of spare cash.

Chris.
or when a unisured drive runs into the back of yours which is also uninsured by yourself ???

and with some cars costing over 100k :shakeinghead

Supercal2007

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5376
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2022, 05:21:18 PM »

Chris.

Because you have a nice car, you would pay for your own insurance to cover such an incident.

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2022, 06:16:54 PM »

Because you have a nice car, you would pay for your own insurance to cover such an incident.

Exactly this. It is up to the owner to decide whether they wish to insure their vehicle or not. If two uninsured drivers have an accident they take the loss since they opted not to insure.

Bbrian66

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2984
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2022, 04:56:44 PM »

To answer the original question: I do not insure through Hagerty, but I know many who do and are very happy with the level of service and protection provided.

Hope that helps.

Bbrian66

LN11AAB498A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7099
  • .:
  • 2A or not 2A that is the question Will Shakespeare
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2022, 06:57:26 PM »

I empathise with those having problems with their insurance company, not sure if they`re in the same category as second hand car salesmen. Maybe I`ve been lucky but I've not had any problems.

Isn`t it the case that hospitals, treating injuries caused in road traffic accidents, can legally claim from the patients insurance company. I understand the only reason they don`t is the resulting level of bureaucracy and it`s inevitable cost.

The only drivers to benefit from this would be those whose cars are just one-step away from the scrapper. For the rest of us who would insure, our premiums would skyrocket. And all the while the reckless uninsured go on their way without a worry & with impunity.

Sorry to disagree, but the idea of optional insurance is fanciful.
Fred

Blessed are they who endure life with a silly name
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 22 queries.