S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mintex: the Freno Saga (that’s your actual Latin) continues...  (Read 1914 times)

100+9

Mintex: the Freno Saga (that’s your actual Latin) continues...
« on: November 12, 2019, 04:52:41 PM »

Mintex: the Freno Saga (that’s your actual Latin) continues -

With Agincourt, Hastings and Bosworth Field, the Battle of TMD Friction will go down in history.

Here’s what I know.  TMD Friction trade as Mintex.

Mintex MGR51
It’s been around the forums, their shoes Mintex MGR51 have adjuster pins falling out. Which end of an 88 these fit I don’t know, those handicapped by ‘Inches deficit’ syndrome must know.

Mintex MGR58
In my case running the heroic 109 flavour, I had much the same problem. Came to a screeching halt, found the adjuster pin had wedged  the drum. A brown-trouser moment yet no harm done. Mintex part MGR58.

Here’s what happened:
Went into my stock and pulled out a fresh set. Noticed these had the same pins. Needed to be on the road, so knowing the issue, cobbled a repair, and threw them on anyway.

100+9

Re: Mintex: the Freno Saga (that’s your actual Latin) continues...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 04:54:08 PM »

Not entirely happy with my repair, I ordered what will now be a third set. Again, Mintex part MGR58.

Contacted TMD Friction, James Addy. It took a while. For 3-4 emails the only warranty issue they were willing to acknowledge was for Mintex MGR51, they seem to think there was nothing wrong with my shoes. I have now seen a faulty set of MGR51. They share the same pins.

Eventually they conceded their right flank. However, my first set MGR58 cannot be replaced and my warranty claim is invalid. My second set MGR58 warranty claim is also invalid. 

And fact is, as the law stands, they are correct.
I have no idea where I bought these shoes, all I can say is they were bought together, one set caused the brown-trouser moment, one set thrown into stock. Both clearly branded Mintex, this was not enough to certify these are Mintex shoes with warranty. My pincer movement failed, I fought valiantly.

I was required to produce a receipt for these, so TMD Friction have me, it’s two years back. I don’t have receipts. I do have two set of faulty Mintex shoes. And a campaign medal.

With the news that I can’t have replacements, about now that third set of shoes turned-up. The third set arrived to find the adjuster pin issue sorted, but the shoes without leading/ trailing edges. Even so the pins aren’t handed. This means on a 109 anyway the cam doesn’t sit as well because Mintex pins have a shank on one side. But hey-ho. In this instance I did have my receipt and seller details. I have the option to return these.

About now I was losing the will to live.

Excepting in my case, I rather like having no leading/trailing edges. These shoes are more like modern-day design-practice, the shoes will be more stable. Which I suspect is why the machine-operator putting this batch together made the error. He/she is used to making shoes without pronounced leading/trailing-edges.

I make up the force deficit as modern practice anyway. But I digress, and talk of that sort of thing, could be S2 blasphemy. Best left.

Nonetheless these should not be fitted to a 109 or where those of you run 88s with these up front. Three faulty sets I have...

In short, leave Mintex be.

Sniff. Anyone want a new set of 109 rear Mintex shoes. No pins? Sob.

Sunny Jim

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 16
  • .:
  • I was born in Lode Lane so it's no wonder!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 09:19:23 PM »

I had some Mintex disc pads - the contents of the box was wrong but the supplier argued that they were right etc. I eventually got a refund but I don't buy any Mintex items now and a lot of others on here don't either!

Cut your losses and bin them.

Sunny Jim
Series 2 Club Member 16

Bradfordseries2

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1047
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 08:29:22 AM »

Mintex has not been a 'premium' brand for a long time. I can only assume the name has been bought out and the brake parts are now cheap tat in a fancy box using a British known name to get sales. I fitted a set of mintex pads to a discovery 300tdi many years ago and they were a few millimetres too short, resulting in an annoying rattle as the pads moved around in the caliper slides. They also squealed horribly. A set of Genuine pads resumed normal braking.
Member 1047

1960 88" petrol hard top - undergoing restoration
1969 88" diesel Station Wagon- restoration required
1971 88" petrol hard top - retirement project!

100+9

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 10:26:58 AM »

Three faulty shoe-sets in row.... that has to be a record.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 19 queries.