S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: An insurance story!  (Read 1817 times)

Dentman

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2297
  • .:
  • RIP
An insurance story!
« on: November 26, 2019, 11:16:13 PM »

My son in Canada finds his insurance on a Ford Focus a bit steep, not least because the company don't recognise his UK driving experience
In an idle moment he called AVIVA Canada for recognition of his AVIVA UK NCD.
They said " These two companies are not the  same, but we could knock say $CA3000  from your premium"   (>£2000) !!
Er, What premium were you paying son? ??? Over £5000!  :agh
Why Why Why Delilah ?

100+9

Re: An insurance story!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 11:35:10 AM »

I know their litigation culture puts US premiums in the stratosphere. Canada is similar. If your boy's young, £5000 might not be dear, even in the UK.

Do this test, go onto one of the Insurance comparison sites, and take your 17YO self with you. You won't have a NCB, and of course you only passed your test last week. Most won't even quote.

I did this, to drive my 109. No options, I had two quotes. Lowest was £6200. The other, £22,000.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: An insurance story!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 07:46:03 AM »

Hi,

During the Suez "do", us young plebs were allowed to drive, on L-plates, but unaccompanied. The idea was that precious petrol would not be used for driving lessons. What a smashing 17th birthday prezzy.

When Suez was all done and dusted, the concession was allowed to continue for a few months, while oil was still being shipped "around the Horn Hope". When the concession concession was finally withdrawn, I buried my L-plates, and applied for my driving test (passed 10th March 1958 ... and again in late 1959 in an RAF Bedford 3-ton truck, mixing it with the trams in Blackpool)

Return to topic ... my first "car" was a 1934 BSA 3-wheeler . with an 8HP (circa 900cc) engine driving the front wheels, and a lot of bodywork missing due to the previous owner rolling it. I generally got a "producer" once a week, sometimes twice. Not a problem, I had my provisional licence, and a tax disc. Prudential charged me £8.10 a year for TPO insurance. I was probably earning a bit less than £4 a week at the time, but I had friends willing to buy me half a gallon (two shilling and sixpence, or about 12p in new money) just to get a ride..

While waiting for "Call Up" (Draft), I got a job driving a baker's van ... adult wages. £9 a week. I probably got the best of the deal. The bloke showing me my round shouted "Mind the tree!" The tree was miles away ... until a branch came though the roof. Up to that point in time, I'd never had to consider "height" in my navigations.

When I joined the RAF in 1958, I was paid £5-2-0d a week ALL FOUND.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 18 queries.