S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Land Rover owners who deplore Jeeps  (Read 13375 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: Land Rover owners who deplore Jeeps
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2019, 10:01:53 AM »

Hi Paul.

The Citroen 2cv would fail an SVA, because (but not only) the flip up side windows would pass outside of the "plan".

Er ... I believe new chassis are available for 2CVs. Or didn't you want to know that?

There is somethinkg in my mind that Citroen made a 2CV, as well as the double engined 4x4 cars

OT. My mate Gari, (Genius of this parish) one time Customer Service Manager at DVLA, was told by Citroen that they were not going to replace any more of his engines under warranty. I must ask him what he was doing to them. Whatever, it seems he was enjoying his cars. When we met him, I don't think he had ever driven anything else.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2019, 10:09:18 AM »

There is somethinkg in my mind that Citroen made a 2CV Jeep, as well as the double engined 4x4 cars

Hi,

Of course Citron made a Jeep ... the Mehari ... I knew that.

https://www.google.com/search?q=citroen+jeep+old&oq=citroen+Jeep&aqs=chrome.5.0l6.16759j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Yeah, I'd have one of those, but I wonder if anybody make a better looking kit body?

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2019, 10:13:07 AM »

The 4x4 2CV was the 'Sahara'...
..aparrently there's a bloke who does 4WD conversions to normal 2CVs as well

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2019, 10:20:01 AM »

602's dreams may come true ... A Jimmy style 4x4 to be manuafctured in Wales ???

Billionaire Sir Jim Ratcliffe is on the verge of striking a deal to make his new Land Rover Defender-style vehicle in South Wales, officials say.

The Mail on Sunday revealed in June that Ineos Automotive, the car-making arm of Ratcliffe’s sprawling empire, was considering a deal to build a new 4x4 in a plant next to Ford’s Bridgend factory which is due to close next year.

Now the Welsh Government says talks with Ineos about building the car in Wales are ‘very advanced’, raising hopes that hundreds of jobs could be created.

Ineos Automotive, which was set up to manage the 4x4 venture – dubbed ‘Projekt Grenadier’ – last week reported a €51 million (£46 million) loss for its first 11 months. This was thanks to €41.4 million of research and development costs and administrative expenses of €8.8 million.
In its accounts, the firm said its new car would be a ‘rugged, reliable and uncompromising 4x4 offroad vehicle’.
It added: ‘The company has considered greenfield sites, former car plants and existing production lines that could be reconfigured for the new vehicle.’

???
Who's a then ?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2019, 10:27:21 AM »

Hi yet again,

And of course there is this ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=jago+jeep&oq=JAGO+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.8884j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I knew they were a faithful copy of the the original Jeep, but I didn't know they were moulded from an original Jeep.

If you can fit a physically smaller engine into a LR 80", maybe a Jago body could be fitted. Such a scheme would only be politically correct if you started with ... er ... no perhaps not. But it could be fun if you are already a recluse living  "in Coventry"

A Citroen 2CV under a Jago body could be interestiing ... if you could shorten the chassiis AND suspension thingies.

Of course ... i knew about the Mehari ... way back when. ANNO DOMINI I can accept, it's the TEMPUS FUGIT that upsets me.

602 (now nearly 80.5)

And Barabara says I don't have time to review my post.

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2019, 10:30:55 AM »

Perhaps Mr W's Welsh version will have  lovely environmentally friendly alternative power source, isnt it... ;)

Old Hywel

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6823
  • .:
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2019, 12:22:09 PM »

Tidy mun.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2019, 08:22:22 AM »

Hi Old Hywel,

"Tidy mun!"  For some reason, that reminded me of Barbara's first dog, who she called TAFFY That was a great name for a dog on Penang.  But imagine shouting "Taffy, come here you little ******!" when walking through a park in Swansea.

Barbara was born in Swansea. Her father's garden backed onto what is now DVLA's car park.(Annoyed Barbara ... it was her bluebell field) Her ancestors seem to have owned half the local pubs, including the Abercrave Arms, who used to provide staff, to Craig-y-Nos (Google) when Edward (Prince of Wales) was visiting Adelina Patti (famous opera singer before WW1). Craig-y-Nos later became a TB Sanatorium,  and looked after Barbara's father when he was 19. He claimed to be one of the two patients to recover, (but the other bloke was walking round the grounds, while waiting to go home, and fell in the river ... died of pneumonia). FIL used to recount how the matron used to tour the wards accompanied by her bulldog. He couldn't decide which was the uglier. The last I heard, the house was in private ownership. I think £1,000,000 was paid in the 1970s ???

Completely OT ... My mother was a nurse at the Coombe Woods TB Sanatorium near Croydon. One year she sent one of the doctors a home made Valentine's Day card. The heart shape was cut from a kipper. Doc said he knew who had sent it, and would get HIM back. That doctors gave me a pile of Motor Sport magazines, to while away the two months i spent in Croydon General Hospital - fractured lower epithisis (sp?) of left femur, which meant I was plastered from my big toe to my lowest rib. Every 16 year old lad should spend Christmas (mistletoe, etc) in a ward full of trainee nurses.  :cool  Whatever, Motor Sport, Bill Boddy, the release of Genevieve (sp?) soon after, and I was hooked.

PS. The generous doctor was Dr.Clive Poulson, who used to race an Austin 7 Special. Did anybody know him? He has a lot to answer for.  :-X

PPS. Just in case anybody has read this far .... probably 30 to 35mph on a bicycle ... and an unlit street lamp. OK, I had been looking over my shoulder, turned back to find the lamp post about three feet in front of me. I don't remember the impact. I do remember employing my newly learned swear words. It seemed appropriate.  ****** hurt! Feet were six inches apart when my knees were touching. Mum said they drained 100cc of blood from my swollen knee. Is that good?

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2019, 08:20:41 AM »

602's dreams may come true ... A Jimmy style 4x4 to be manuafctured in Wales ???

???
I think that Gilbern Cars were the last car designed and built in Wales with Welsh expertise  :wooly-jumper

Old Hywel

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6823
  • .:
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2019, 09:44:02 AM »

I think that Gilbern Cars were the last car designed and built in Wales with Welsh expertise  :wooly-jumper
GILbert and BERNard were the men.
I visited the works once.....

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2019, 10:00:38 AM »

Hi,

My immediate thought was Morgan, cos Johnie Thomas' (think 1902 Gordon Bennett Napier racing car) is called Morgan.  :first. But of course they are on the other side of the border.

Me thinks it's time to organise a raiding party. (Did anybody Google "Jemima the Great". She, and about a dozen of her mate's captured a French invasion force ... the last invading army to land on British soil. Be afraid!

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2019, 10:08:18 AM »

:cactus
I think we have thrashed this one to death and wandered so far off topic that it needs to be wound up and closed.

:wooly-jumper
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 19 queries.