S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Tubes or tubeless?  (Read 4061 times)

Matthew

Tubes or tubeless?
« on: December 22, 2019, 04:02:41 PM »

This is Florence, our 1971 S2A SWB that we have owned for just over one year now.  She has a good sense of humour, and we are gradually discovering and ironing out the problems, including wiring, brakes, and all the usual things.

One thing that we want to do is upgrade the tyres to a good set of road tyres, since we will most likely do no off roading, but we will use her as a road vehicle. I understand that presently she has original rims, and is running fairly rugged 750/R16 tyres with inner tubes.  We have had some problems with slow punctures, and yesterday a very fast puncture whilst driving along. The bang was quite spectacular!  It is therefore time to take action.

We have been told that its is safest and best to upgrade the rims as well, and fit tubeless tyres, but does anyone have any views on that? Also, any recommendations as to what to go for, and good suppliers?

Thanks, Matthew and Sarah

martinthefirst

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4519
  • .:
Land Rover Series IIA 1964, 3.9 V8, Designa chassis
Morris Minor Convertible 1961

GlenAnderson

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 1135
  • .:
Re: Tubes or tubeless?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 04:15:02 PM »

It’s not air, it’s adjustment.

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
    • Land Rover Classic Campers
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 04:18:20 PM »

Defender rims with tubeless tyres? Will fit straight on.

Check here: https://cabmasters.com/4x4/land-rover/landrover-defender-750x16-michelin-latitude-tyres

That would be my advice.

And mine  :tiphat

I thought all of these had been snapped up a couple of years ago, but hopefully this supplier still has some.

Just a lick of limestone paint to hide the white rims, and they look the part - only a rivet counter would notice   :cheers
LRCC: Land Rover Classic Campers - 1967 Carawagon, 200TDi, completed & in use - 1972 109"quot SW Carawagon, 2.5NA, completed & in use - 1958 Carawagon project. - 1971 Carawagon project. - ! - 1974 Dormobile project.

GlenAnderson

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 1135
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 05:21:57 PM »

These are the modern equivalent of “standard” steel wheels, as in the original link offered, and are tubeless. Once painted, they’re the most discreet tubeless option.

https://www.paddockspares.com/rrc503600pm-tubeless-black-wheel.html

At 5.5J they’re ideal for 7.50s.

Piggy501

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 05:46:43 PM »

And mine  :tiphat

I thought all of these had been snapped up a couple of years ago, but hopefully this supplier still has some.

Just a lick of limestone paint to hide the white rims, and they look the part - only a rivet counter would notice   :cheers

When I phoned earlier in the year, he still had some, but he was wanting silly money for them. I bought 5x Wolf rims and MTRs for a Defender from him a year previous for less than he was asking for 4x of the above. You'd be able to buy 5 new tyres and have change for a used set of rims, rather than tyres that have been sat for at least 4 years now. Another victim to the mad Land Rover collectors tax, I feel.

rosinante

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5565
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 07:39:52 PM »

Hi , I have just fitted tubeless rims and tyres to my S2 ,found them used fitted with 750 latitudes , 5.5 33 r16 same width and offset as lwb rims , got lucky and got the 5 for 100 quid , paid 20 for tyre removal and disposal of 3 , the other 2 were as new and sold them for 100 quid,  now fitted with 22565r16 Continental 4 season tyres , the wheels  will  have Tubeless stamped on them and are slightly different in appearance to standArd lwb rims , they look more like 5 ins swb rims , they take a bit of finding but they are out there ,I considered wolf rims but to much worry trouble  cost with the stud  issue,
As said it takes a good eye to see the difference when fitted ,
Chris

Matthew

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 09:11:19 PM »

Dear all,

Thank you ever so much for such a speedy and comprehensive response.  A clear consensus, and I shall now follow up. If I get a move on, i might even be able to wrap them for my wife for Christmas.  She will no doubt be delighted to have five big round presents under the tree.....  Oh, well perhaps not....

Happy Christmas to all.

LandCasco

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7798
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2019, 09:56:01 PM »

I have defender rims with 7.5 x16 pure MT tyres with tube, and radials 215/75/16 in Santana rims tubeless at 10 lbs in sand never a problem.

Cheers
Paul
Series 3 1977

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2019, 09:02:38 AM »

Depending on you viewpoint on looks, Discovery 1 steel wheels fit, are very strong, are tubless, look better when painted and can often be found for £5 each or less

andrewR

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6506
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2019, 09:15:58 AM »

The latest batch of Avon Rangemaster 7.5x16 tyres just got produced (November they popped out). I got mine from Craddocks, and they may have more in stock now. This is going to sound daft, but if you order from Craddocks, make 4 separate online orders, one for each tyre at ~£90 each, and get free shipping on each order (each item will be above the "free shipping threshold"). Otherwise, Craddocks charge you for 3 package shipping as there is only one free parcel per order on their stupid policy.

You might be able to find a tyre place that will source and fit them for you, now that the latest batch came out of the Avon factory. I have the joy next year of wrestling mine onto my original 5 inch rims with tyre levers (never had a problem with 7.5x16 on 5-inch rim myself).

Andrew
Andrew

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
    • Land Rover Classic Campers
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2019, 09:24:14 AM »

The latest batch of Avon Rangemaster 7.5x16 tyres just got produced (November they popped out).

Worth checking before you buy if they are tubeless.
I understand there was a batch of tubeless ones produced a while ago, but the recent production runs have been tubed only.
Robin

Piggy501

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2019, 10:14:44 AM »

http://www.absolute-classic-cars.co.uk/showroom/land-rover-series-3-88-swb-soft-top/

Apologies for linking a SIII, but it's fitted with tubeless rims and 7.50 Michelin Latitudes, just so you've got a visual reference. Looks entirely in keeping in my opinion.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2019, 10:19:34 AM »

My understanding is that series wheels and early defender wheels are riveted and therefore  need tubes.

Later defenders are welded rims and are timeless.

If there are no tyres on then tubeless tyres can be identified by the extra ridge near the edge  to keep the tubless tyre in place when it deflated.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2019, 10:24:20 AM »

The S2s on my avatar both have 750 tyres on Series rims, the one on the left is on lab rims and the one on the right swb.

I have a spare set of welded defender rims with tyres in store.

Peter
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.631 seconds with 19 queries.