S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 200TDI into 2A exhausts.  (Read 4021 times)

Matt

• "Series One Lurker"
Re: 200TDI into 2A exhausts.
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2020, 07:36:14 AM »

Hi - I had a custom SS system made up by a mate again as others say not cheap but looks just as good after 7 years. Well worth it if you can.  Silencer is a standard off the shelf unit for a Discovery, exhaust exits just behind the offside rear wheel so no fumes and is angled down slightly to prevent rainwater entry.

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2020, 08:28:12 AM »

This is the part I bought from steve parker, picture and words from Glencoyne Engineering site :tiphat

Exhaust downpipe

The Discovery uses a cast stub pipe bolted to the turbo which points in entirely the wrong direction.  There is very little clearance between the turbo and the passenger side footwell, so you need a downpipe that curves down and inwards to clear the footwell and chassis rail.  If you have plenty of time and good fabrication skills you can make one, but most people will find it easier to buy one.  I use the downpipe sold by Steve Parker Land Rovers and have always found that these fit very well.  Make sure you follow the instructions, especially the bit about relocating the clutch pipe and shortening the downpipe mounting studs.  If you forget to shorten the studs, you will find that in order to change the starter motor you have to remove the manifolds. Incidentally, when removing the old cast stub, since the studs need to be shortened anyway, save yourself some time and just cut the nuts off with a disc cutter.  They tend to be very tight and often take the studs out with them when you try to undo them.

Steve Parker downpipe in place, showing where the clutch pipe and bracket have been relocated to the inner edge of the footwell.  The battery cable isn't as close to the downpipe as it looks, but you need to make sure it is secured well out of the way.

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2020, 08:32:45 AM »

another picture of the downpipe

Calum

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 6930
  • .:
    • C Barrow Engineering Ltd
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2020, 09:02:50 AM »

I've got a Steve Parker system on my 88". Great system in terms of design but I'm on my third in the 10 years I have owned the vehicle...
The first system was on when I bought the vehicle, I think it was about 2 years old. It must have lasted another 3 years before the pipes entering the back box rotted out. Parkers are local to me so I went in and got the new rear sections and proceeded to fit until I found other bits rusted together and seized. I bit the bullet and got the other bits (so a full system). This fell to bits last year or so (so probably 5 years old) when the down pipe section (the one made from all the bits welded together) just disintegrated and left a gaping hole. This time I bought a stainless system since I can now afford to, but still bought it in two halves to make it a bit more bearable! I fitted the front sections and then a few months later the tailpipe fell off so it's now a full stainless system and I must say looks great, fits well and I am very happy with it. My only gripe is the same with most stainless systems in that the flanges are mild steel and they don't sell stainless hangers for it either (I'll probably end up making some next time they rust away)

In fairness the 88" has been used daily for the ten years I have had it, in all weathers and doesn't get hosed down underneath as much as I'd like to. Current commute to work is around 15-20 miles each way (depending on route) so the exhaust does get some use

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2020, 09:09:43 AM »

kev

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6287
  • .:
  • Blah, blah, blah...
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2020, 07:21:03 PM »

Thanks, there are some interesting repiles and options here.  :first

I used a 300 tdi rear box, exits on the near side behind the wheel, went to my local garage and raided the scrap bin and made up the centre section, been good for 10 years with the odd repair due to hitting it off road. If you fit a 300 tdi rear box it needs the tail pipe cutting down Also helps if you can weld.
Did you use the intermediate box too?, and are the Disco' and Defender boxes the same?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 19 queries.