S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 5376 times)

David A

• Old Brummie
  • S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5546
  • .:
  • 1958 Series2 swb , 2003 110 utility td5
Re: Insurance
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2020, 02:38:56 PM »

These outrageous medical claims after trivial accidents can only arise and succeed if there is also some so called independent medical 'expert' willing and indeed very keen ( for a large sum) to provide a strong supporting medical report to the solicitors involved in these actions. The said experts are fairly easily located and usually associated/found close to a firm of solicitors. I say this as someone who is well informed on this issue.

David A   
David A

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2020, 06:51:03 AM »

Hi,

One day, while visiting a breakers yard, I got talking to a Volvo owner looking for a seat belt for his less than 12 months old car.

He told me that he'd been very gently tail-gated. No damage to his car, other than his pretensioning (or whatever it's called) seat belt had "tripped", and could not be re-set.

A NEW belt would cost him £600 ... he said.

Can that be true? How long before any prang, no matter how minor, will mean the car is a write-off? I've heard of cars being written-off because of the loss of the ignition key. Losing the key for my Jimny cost me about £100.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2020, 07:16:45 AM »

A friend with a 3 and a bit year old volvo (out of warranty) has had a headlight go faulty, it is LED over £1000 for a replacement.  Yes you are reading it right £1000.  It comes on top of anelectronics problem costing hundreds but volvo paid for part of that as a goodwill gesture

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2020, 08:06:11 AM »

Hi Peter,

In France you must carry a spare set of bulbs, so you can change them at the roadside. I'm guessing that sealed beams count as a bulb, which might be why they are not allowed in France.

A Brit*, driving a French car in France got pulled one night, with a dead side lamp bulb. A major job to change. Monsieur Flic called out a garage, and waited till the job was done ... then told the fitter to send his bill to the manufacturer.  :agh  French police (and Customs) carry huge "side arms". (saves all that rolling in the gutter).

Golly gosh ... she* must have been pretty.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2020, 10:46:06 AM »

Due to the influence of Renault they never enforce the change at the side of the road rule.

With one model of the megane the police would turn out a local garage to change the bulb and the send the bill to Renault.

Peter

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2020, 09:12:10 AM »

Hi,

Thinks!  If visiting France in an old Landy that has had the "pre-focus" unit replaced by a sealed beam unit", should we carry a spare sealed beam unit ... which is actually just a huge bulb?

I see that Right Hand Dip  (for driving on the right) sealed beam units are available from  VWP. Very easy to swap if you have already converted to the black plastic headlamp bowls also available from VWP.

When I was young, I used to ponder on fitting a camera flash bulb into a spot-lamp reflector, in order to encourage other drivers to dip their lamps.  :whistle

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 18 queries.