S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: My telephone, OT except when phoning for S2 parts  (Read 7204 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: My telephone, OT except when phoning for S2 parts
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2019, 12:18:53 AM »

Hi,

Going OT (I think) laptop sits on my desk, with remote keyboard  and mouse. The remote keyboard is necessary, as some keys on the lap-top are "dead".

I use the other ("there's posh") lap-top on my lap, in the lounge. But that has two dead keys, so I have to work out how to say things without using those keys.

Is there a solution to dead keys?

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2019, 12:33:09 AM »

Yes,

You can get new key boards for most laptops.
Search eBay with the make and model number.
They are usually quite well priced between £10 to £20 usually, compared to the cost of a new laptop.

Fitting the new key board is relatively straight forward, often taking only 4 or 5 minutes.
The tricky bit being connecting the very small and flimsy ribbon cable.
Some "spring" out from the top (with the aid of a kitchen knife - others you need to take the back off....
There are lots of Youtube videos showing how to replace the keyboard for all the main makes of laptop.

If you can't do it, then there'll be someone local who can do it.

You shouldn't really be struggling with missing or dodgy keys. You can some times just get a specific key to replace the broken one(s).
But I'd recommend replacing the lot if you can.

Better still if you can get a brand new laptop of decent quality - I've just got a new Dell XPS 15 on Tuesday and it goes like a rocket  :first
AND I've got access back to the old forum  :stars

Who's a then ?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2019, 02:06:36 AM »

Hi Alan (You dirty stop out  :cool)

Thanks for that.

I use a remote key board at my desk, not so easy on my lap.

Me and delicate wiring don't get on ... but I'm generally OK with Landy cables.

In my hey-day, we used to wait until chucked out of the South Croydon Coffee Bar, soon after midnight, then head for the cafe at Heathrow Airport, in convoy, 30 miles didn't seem very far .. then. Happy daze!

Ha! One evening I was standing at a bus stop, circa 10PM, with my then girl friend. A Jensen 541 approached, so I gave it the thumbs up. The driver thought I was thumbing a lift, and stopped. An opportunity too good to miss.  The car was brand new that day, and he was trying it out. I suggested that my "challenging" circuit might be fun .... Croydon ... Godstone ... Redhill ... Croydon. So off we went. he dropped us back, at the end of my road, only about a mile from where he picked us up. An great experience, and it saved us the bus fare. I'm not sure my girlfriend felt the same way.

I've yearned after a 541 ever since.

That circuit used to take me 35/40 minutes in Dad's 1935 Austin 10 (howling tyres) One of the coffee bar fraternity did it in 25 minutes, in a Cooper built special ... FIAT Topolino chassis, Ford 10 engine, pretty little aluminiun body.

John

I've also scrounged rides in the MG 750cc that siezed up after 23 hous at Le Mans in 1931. And the Jag XK120 went airbourne going UP Sanderstead Hill.

lowoil

• Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2019, 07:01:11 AM »

Most versions of Windows have an on screen keyboard under the accessibility settings which would bridge the gap for now.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2019, 08:18:27 PM »

Most versions of Windows have an on screen keyboard under the accessibility settings which would bridge the gap for now

Hi Iowoll,

Thankyou! That sounds above my paygrade. I will brood on the matter.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2019, 08:20:11 PM »

Hi again,

Went out to walk Wilkie, found a phone on my doorstep.

I haven't tried it yet, but my thanks to all concerned.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2019, 03:36:10 PM »

Hi,

Sorry  :-[  I still haven't done a "digit extractum", been too busy to go crawiing behind the furniture, looking for extension sockets.

And anyway, the existing phone seems aware that something is happening. It's behaving perfectly.

Inanimate objects "KNOW", you know.

gcc130

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2019, 09:55:13 PM »

You never know, while crawling behind furniture to find extension leads you may find the missing hearing aid :cheers

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2019, 06:43:22 AM »

Hi,

I hope nobody is "mocking the afflicted!"  :-X

PS ... which brings to mind something I once read ... possibly in a "Doctor in the House" follow-up by Richard Gordon.

One of the minor characters had a glass eye, which he replaced with a "party special" eye, when appropriate. Party Special? The iris and pupil had been replaced with a Union Jack.

PS. Actually, it's the Union flag. It's only a Union Jack when flying from the jack staff on a ship.  But I'm happy to be corrected.  ???

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2019, 03:33:07 PM »

Hi,

My thanks to all concerned in providing the 602 household with a phone. I haven't yet found a suitable socket, but I'm thinking about it.

The existing phone is working perfectly. "Things "know", you know, and then bite you when you become complacent. I said something similar to my daughter. She patted me on the shoulder ... probably something to do with her being a Bank Manager (Business) for a major international bank, in MK. Square peg in a round hole ... she's the kindest person I know ... not at all concerned that she won't get on in the world. Twenty years ago, she was a "fish-wife", literally ... helping her then husband manage a "wet " fish shop.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2019, 07:19:16 PM »

Hi,

'Tis done!

I managed to find a socket in our bedroom, only had to move a chest of drawers to gain access. Some woman started to chunter on about replacing the hand-piece. Perfect reception.

I just know there are other sockets scattered around the house, but they all seem to be hidden by furniture.

So ... my undying gratitude to all concerned. Thanks everybody.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 19 queries.