S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Registration number confusion  (Read 5145 times)

HolmeLandie

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6050
  • .:
Registration number confusion
« on: August 16, 2019, 06:17:31 PM »

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on my confusion over the registration number that is currently on my Series 2?

It has the number YVF 6nn A.

Reading Alan's very interesting 'UK Vehicle Registration Numbers Explained' thread, it appears that 'YVF' is from Norfolk (where Landie still lives), and was issued from July 1958 onwards.

According to the DVLA 'Date of first registration' is March 1959, which fits with Messrs Bottombox check of the Gayden records for my Chassis No: 1419nnnnn having rolled off the production line late November 1958. However the 'A' suffix denotes a 1963 registration, hence my confusion.

If this is not the original registration number on the vehicle, is it possible to find out what the original registration was? Could it simply have been used 'offroad' for the first few years of it's life, and not been given a number until it was required to be 'on road'?

Many thanks for your help with this.
HL.
  :stars

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
Re: Registration number confusion
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 07:07:56 PM »

Vehicle could have been "off road" or possibly saw "military" service, however it is far more likely that the original number was just sold. Some years ago, when this happened, you were issued with an "A" reg . If you want, I think they will now replace it with an "age related" number.

The DVLA will release you "some" info if you fill in a V888 form. Most info is now redacted for "data protection >:D", but  they should at least tell you the original number. Lots of info on this on the old forum.
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an-appen nob'dee'll notice."

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 08:27:25 PM »

For a period of time before age related registrations went to 3 + 3 format DVLA used up spare A suffix registrations for age related.

It could have and age related number because of a numer of reasons.  It may just have got it when cast from the military if it is that sort of vehicle, it may have not been registered when new (kept on a private estate).  Had an original registration that either fell off the DVLA database after not being taxed for a long time and was then reregistered but the most common one would  be that the original registration was sold and so it was given an age related registration.

There are also probably a whole raft of other reasons

It is very likely that this registration is not transferrable and that you are stuck with it.

Peter
(With my VRO hat on)
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

Bottom Box

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 12:12:28 PM »

I believe that YVF 6nnA is a replacement registration plate.

GLASS's Index of Registration Numbers  1929 - 1965 lists all registration numbers issued within this period. Now whilst YVF nnn is listed as being issued by Norfolk between July 1958 - August 1958, YVF 6nnA is not listed as ever being issued, or certainly not by 1965.

This means to me, that the Registration Block YVF 6nnA was not issued by 1963, and retained by Local Licensing Authority as an unissued Registration Block. These were ultimately passed to DVLA for future use.

I assume that the original registration number was retained as a cherished transfer to another vehicle. DVLA will later have issued the 'A' plate as a replacement registration number. In more recent times, DVLA have issued the 3 + 3 format registration plates.

As your vehicle was DVLA first registered by March 1959, i.e. pre-1963, it is entitled under current DVLA policy to a 3 + 3 Registration plate. There is nothing to be gained trying to prove a November 1958 manufacture date, when DVLA will already accept their own vehicle records as entitled to 3 + 3 by virtue of its first registration date.

I would advise completing a DVLA V.888 form, together with a covering letter, explaining that you believe "YVF 6nnA" is an historic vehicle and that "YVF 6nnA" is a replacement registration number and that you are seeking to identify the original registration number. Make it perfectly clear that you are aware of the restrictions imposed by current data protection legislation, and that you do not seek or expect any personal data to be provided.

If you would like a new 3 + 3 Registration Plate to be issued by DVLA, just add another paragraph requesting same. It is that easy.

I would suggest one job at a time with DVLA. Find the original registration number first. In order to reclaim the original registration number you need some proof which links your vehicle Chassis No. to the original registration plate, and this should be done via Club VRO and a V.765 form. At a later date, submit the request for a "3 + 3" plate......if required.

Good Luck with the DVLA enquiry, it does seem to depend on the individual DVLA caseworker.

Chris

Peter Holden

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 01:46:24 PM »

We have several club members who have A suffix replacement (or age related) registrations on vehicles first registered before 1963  who have been told by DVLA that they are not transferrable when they asked for a 3+3 replacement age related registration.

This appears to be another example of tightening up the rules or applying them to the letter.

Peter

HolmeLandie

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 06:25:00 PM »

Thank you Worf, Chris and Peter for your replies, this is all very interesting to me.

At this stage after towing the vehicle from a barn/field with a tractor, I am simply trying to fill in as much of it's history as I can. It is after all a couple of years older than me, where has it been ...?

Looking at the patina on the registration plates, they have been on the vehicle for quite a few decades, so I suspect the registration number it has currently has been on it for the majority of it's life. I also quite like the 'A' suffix, whilst less desirable from a purely format point of view than a 3 + 3, there are after all very few 'A' platers around (or maybe not according to Peter).

I did try the V888 route some 12 - 18 months ago, and was probably too broad in my request and got caught in the GDPR preparation net, receiving the standard "We're sorry but we cannot help you" response from the DVLA.  >:D Armed with the above I will try again and this time, as Chris suggests, be more specific in my request, and hopefully get a more sympathetic case worker.

First priority remains though to get an MOT for it (there are HOW many parts in the front axle ...?! :agh :agh) and this is going to keep me quite occupied for a while yet (next spring I promise!!).

Once again thank you for the responses.
 :cheers

Simon K.

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2721
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 06:37:06 PM »

Don't HPI and similar history checking companies give you all previous plate changes any more ?, they certainly did about two years ago when I checked a possible purchase. This was on a 1981 Porsche that had had two plate changes, one in 1985 to an Irish KAZ number and a later one in 1996 back to a proper UK number.
Simon.

HolmeLandie

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 07:31:29 PM »

Thank you Simon, just tried InstantCarCheck.co.uk (one of the cheaper ones) which states it does do number plate change checks, however once you pay for and get the report it says 'Number Plate Changes Post 1990: 0' ...  :shakeinghead

However it has additionally come back with the MOT history upto 2013, which is an interesting to read.  :coffee

This gives me a little more to put on the V888 when I go back to the DVLA, and it all adds to the cars history file bit by bit.

Calum

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 6930
  • .:
    • C Barrow Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 09:40:52 PM »

Quite possibly re-registered in 1963 at a local office. Our P4 was originally registered new in 1960 as 'RH 27' but was re-registered in 1964 on a B suffix (local Manchester reg - it has always been around this area) which it still wears and since it's been on the car so long I've never bothered to get it changed (if RH 27 was available however...)

Most of the A suffix age related plates I have seen seem to have been issued in the 80s (probably the first time age related plates were even issued? I think they just issued current registrations prior to that) and of those most, if not all, seem to be of the format A** ***A with A at both the start and the end.

Bradfordseries2

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1047
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 08:28:04 AM »

RH27 is currently on a 2009 BMW X5 according to VOSA.

So I doubt you would get it back!

I would be interested in finding out my Series 2's original registration, just for curiosity sake more than anything. It has worn its current plate KSV896 since 1986 so has been known as that longer than as first registered! All the V5 tells me is it was registered 1986 but previously used and declared manufactured 1960. How would I even find the original reg?
Member 1047

1960 88" petrol hard top - undergoing restoration
1969 88" diesel Station Wagon- restoration required
1971 88" petrol hard top - retirement project!

milesr3

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5346
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 08:46:34 AM »

It is very likely that this registration is not transferrable and that you are stuck with it.

I thought that "not transferrable" means that it cannot be taken off and transferred to a different vehicle, but can be replaced with anything else? For example, you could buy a 3x3 plate and put this on if you wished. If these old numbers were transferrable then what would stop people from continually flogging them and requesting a new one.

To the OP; as has been said, take it one step at a time. I submitted a V888 and found the original registration number and the history of registration number transfers. I then submitted a V765, supported by the club VRO, and was lucky that the original registration was available.

Then to contradict what I said above, the DVLA asked me if I would like to retain my original (not transferrable) registration number. This was quite unexpected. I was issued a new V5 with the original registration and a retention certificate for the previous registration.

Calum

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 6930
  • .:
    • C Barrow Engineering Ltd
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 09:33:17 AM »

RH27 is currently on a 2009 BMW X5 according to VOSA.

So I doubt you would get it back!

I would be interested in finding out my Series 2's original registration, just for curiosity sake more than anything. It has worn its current plate KSV896 since 1986 so has been known as that longer than as first registered! All the V5 tells me is it was registered 1986 but previously used and declared manufactured 1960. How would I even find the original reg?

Yes first thing I did when I found out was check on the DVLA.   :-X I'm not one for 'vanity' plates, but I'd quite like the idea of my scruffy diesel P4 wearing a plate whose value was far far greater than the car would ever be worth, even in A1 condition.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2019, 05:03:42 PM »

I thought that "not transferrable" means that it cannot be taken off and transferred to a different vehicle, but can be replaced with anything else?

Hi,

The above is my understanding, too.

Barbara was in charge (not sure if as an EO or HEO) of Cherished Transfers. But that would have been back in the late 1980, She was re-instated as an EO ay DVLC, in 1986 (I think) after resigning from C&E (London) just prior to our son being born in the mid-1970s

Ahem! You have a 1959 Land Rover with a 1962 (?) registration? That goes against DVLAs strictly enforced policy that a vehicle must not display a registration mark indicating that the vehicle is younger than it really is. (Hinting that it is older than it's real age is acceptable).

But ... a PO might have fitted younger plates for ulterior reasons ... like he had an MOT that could be associated with a spare set of number plates that he had on the shelf. Or he might have done a chassis swap. How do all the other numbers line up with the declared date of manufacture?

I don't want to rain on your parade, but better that than the alternative.

I wonder what would happen if you buried the A-plates, and applied for a new registration based on the various numbers scattered around your "barn find". Whatever, don't rock the boat until advised by a club officer.

"A little learning" .... and all that.  Maybe your registration is legit, with the A-suffix meaning nothing? However, both Barbara and myself i] think[/i] (it's been 16 years for her, and 35 years for me, since retiring) that a 1959 vehicle should not display a 1961(?) or 1962 registration. Can you get a copy of the original Application for First Registration?

Make sure that you don't open a can of worms ... and have to walk home.

PS ... Barbara "Kindled". Do A Google for DVLA Personal Registration Numbers, she says.

Peter Holden

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2019, 07:05:53 PM »

You are right in principle John but DVLA in their wisdom have designated A suffix registrations as age related and do not reflect the actual age of the vehicle.  They were only issued for a very short period.

More confusing is the number of ex. Military vehicles bearing a registration that shows the year they were cast not the year of actual manufacture.

Peter

HolmeLandie

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2019, 05:40:05 PM »

Thank you all for the replies, I have been having a 'Landie Maintenance Moment'  >:( >:D ??? trying to get the Retaining Collar onto a front drive shaft for the last couple of days, so have missed these last replies.

I'm inclined to think that Peter may be along the right lines with the theory that for a short period Age Related plates may have been issued with the 'A' postfix.

As far as the components of the vehicle are concerned I think a fair few are original and match the year of manufacture e.g. gearbox, rear axle, windscreen, steering box. The engine is a replacement, from a 1960 RHD Rover P4 (traced via the serial number).

Many thanks.
HL.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.