S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Registration number confusion  (Read 5147 times)

HolmeLandie

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6050
  • .:
Re: Registration number confusion
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2020, 06:06:28 PM »

A much belated update on this thread, with a tiny amount of information I have managed to prise out of the DVLA.

To recap the original post, I was confused that the registration number on my Landie is 'YVF 6nn A', a 1964 registration on a 1959 vehicle. It transpires (from the above) that this particular registration was not issued in 1964, however at some point for a while A registrations were given out as Age Related for pre 64 vehicles, and as such are non-transferable.

I duly composed a non-GDPR relevant request on a V888 form, requesting simply details on the registration number change history on my Landie. After waiting a number of weeks i got the letter back from the DVLA rejecting my request as I had not included the £5 fee  >:D (hence my comment on another thread today). However the covering DVLA letter did say that 'As the vehicle was first registered in 1959 we will not store details between 1959 and it being first registered with the DVLA'. Regarding any restrictions on transferring the registration I should contact the general enquiries telephone number. So I did ...

The very helpful lady on the phone said the vehicle was first registered with the DVLA in 2004, and they have no record of any registration number change. She also went away and confirmed with her boss that as the record stands currently with the DVLA I would be able to request an age related 3 + 3 registration. For the record I am not interested in doing so, as I quite like the very old plates that are on the vehicle, I am simply trying to trace Landie's history and original registration.

DVLC came into existence in 1984 (?), and morphed into DVLA in 1995 (?). Prior to 1984, I believe the local councils registered vehicles.

'YVF ... A' is a Norfolk registration. Norfolk County council will, for a fee (£48), search their records for a given registration to see if they issued it. However their records only go to 1974. How were vehicles registered between 1974 and DVLC coming into existence (1984?).

I suppose I am trying to gauge how I am likely to be throwing the better part of fifty quid down the drain on a forlorn search. Is there a way to find out which licensing authority issued a registration? In my case DVLC/DVLA did not as they would have a record of having doing so?

The quest continues ....

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
Re: Registration number confusion
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2020, 07:04:59 PM »

The information stored at Swansea is very patchy as can be seen from the post above, in my case they have an electronic copy of the original buff log bbok RF60 for my Land Rover, their records show me as the second owner but I know that I am at least the 4th.

A suffx registrations were used substantively for a short period in 1963 and when DVLA started  issuing age related registrations they used the spare A suffix registrations before they moved to 3 + 3.

Some age related registrations can be transferred and some cannot but I have never managed to find the criteria.  we have a few club members with pre 1963 land rovers that have A suffix age related registrations, some have been able to get them changed for 3 +3  and some have not.  It seems a bit of a lottery as does the V888 research scheme.

Peter (with my VRO hat on)
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.588 seconds with 21 queries.