S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Return of the Jimny ‘possibly’  (Read 1979 times)

Big-chris

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3365
  • .:
Return of the Jimny ‘possibly’
« on: May 01, 2020, 02:08:32 AM »

Mr 602 sir (John) I have recently been informed by swmbo it is time to reduce the fleet outside the house, we are currently at six vehicles, eight in total :whistle as the instruction suggestion is none Land Rover effecting I’m certainly not going to disagree  :shakeinghead
The two vehicles looking for new homes shortly will be
1) The silver Mercedes ML I used to collect the Jimny, great car, used every day for my work transport and family life, already been replaced by another slightly younger model ML which I previously owned (all be it with more miles and less toys!!)
2) The little blue Jimny I bought from you for my father-in-law, but after spending a little time with him I found he wasn’t really in a position to safely drive on his own due to ongoing health issues, a real shame as he took a shine to the Jimny

I don’t expect you will be interested in the former as it is a bit big and high, but my offer to you is the Jimny if you wanted it back? No panic for an immediate decision, the conversation to think about reducing the fleet only took place yesterday, however I can act quickly if required (swmbo doesn’t know that bit) if you are interested John pm me to discuss further,  I am prepared to let YOU have it at cost, basically what it owes me, ie- transportation, welding done for the MOT which runs now till 25/10/20, it’s had quite a bit of work done, the bits I can remember off the top of my head, wipers, new front brakes, engine pulley, gearbox reverse switch, full service, replaced the worn drivers seat with a complete fresher interior, it looks a bit smarter drives better, I have removed the knobbly off road tyres and steel wheels and fitted a set of Goodyear Wrangler AT’s complete with genuine five spoke alloys, it’s road manners have improved no end, but I would give you the choice of wheel and tyre option you preferred at no increase in cost as I will sell the remaining set to cover my additional outlay..

I appreciate the logistics, the Jimny would be delivered in person to your door, I would more than likely drive it to you and jump on the train back, social distancing taken into account of course, If you wanted to have a run out and collect it from me you could knock £50 off the price as this is cost of the standard single train ticket I have added (although I would probably pay a bit more as there is only one way to travel by train in my opinion) unless it’s a  :chuffer_train of course, my time and fuel for me to deliver the Jimny back to you would be free, the car came to me with half a tank so there is the fuel and my time is my pleasure in dealing with a gentleman..

The Jimny delivered to your door in total would owe me £1250

Just to note, it’s only covered approximately 1200 miles in the time I have had it and since the MOT.

So there you go, something for you to think about, I know you may already have a replacement/project in line? So if it’s not for you no worries, there is certainly no pressure from my side..
I have no doubt I can move it on in time to a new happy home, I think my little brother might want to add it to his fleet but we will see..
The potential price to anyone else would increase £500+ to cover my time and energy to get it to the current condition  :tiphat

ps: still only has one key  :agh

pps: I can probably sort you a couple of pictures out if you wanted some?
Never argue with an idiot! They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: Return of the Jimny ‘possibly’
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 09:18:58 PM »

Hi Chris,

Please pardon the delay in replying, I've been off-line  ... BT came in today replaced my master box, FOC.

I would love to have the Jimny back again, as you suggested, but ...

I have agreed to buy a project S2, from a club member, but there are problems with delivery dates. And I have been car-less since I sold the Jimny (and maybe Barbara would not be happy to see her Hyundai doing four wheel slides around the local roundabouts).

I would be resurecting the problem of Barbara climbing into it   It seems the private clinic (paid for by NHS) are prevaricating. They refuse to do the ops unless she walks, instead of foot paddling her wheel chair. She says that IF she could walk, she wouldn't bother with the ops. Our other option is to to pay £15,000 to have both knees fixed at the Civil Service Medical Insurer's clinic .... but they are based in Kent. We can borrow another £15,000 from our mortgage lenders (don't move from a Victorian semi to a 1985 bungalow when you have already turned 80) at 4%, to spend how we like. Barbara has a few thousand squirreled away, so buying the Jimny back at the price you mention would not be a problem, and it should not be impossible to cobble together some sort elevator, hung off the tree-sliders, to hump her into the passenger door. "Do what you like!" she says.

I have already written to the vendor of the Series project, and they say it will not be possible to deliver it for several weeks, which sounds like an opt out for me ... but I'm still reluctant to break an agreement. Can you give me a couple of days, for me to discuss this with them ... see how po-faced they would feel?

Thanks or thinking of me.

HTH

John.

PS What is the Mercedes? Auto? It's unlikely that I would want to pay for the tax and insurance, but yes could you send me pics of the Jimny (and the Merc). I will investigate the cost of a private room (if such exist) at the Milton Keynes NHS hospital, but that's not your problem.

PPS. Age related memory loss ... where are you located.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 05:41:11 AM »

Oops!

That was intended to be a PM.

My apologies if I caused any offence elsewhere.

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 07:32:42 AM »

Morning 602. I have sent you a PM.

Matt.

Big-chris

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 01:52:55 AM »

Hi John, no problem in giving you a few days to make up your mind, always good to have a think about these things, and you obviously need to address other affairs first which I respect you for.

The side steps on the Jimny might actually be more of a hindrance then help for Barbara’s entry, I know I have to stride a little further to get in and out because they protrude below and out from the sills, might be worth trying with them removed? Also a seat cover on the passenger seat might help sliding in rather than the more gripping velour?

I’m happy to remove the side steps for you and stick them in the back just in case you wanted to put them back on?

I added the Jimny to my Land Rover policy through Footman James so qualified for classic insurance, current annual RFL just paid £165 for the year, obviously not transferable but cheap motoring...

The 2006 Mercedes ML is a different animal, It is currently my everyday and work vehicle, last/current annual RFL was £550  :agh think I pay around £350 for the insurance, it is a truly fantastic car though, 3L V6 diesel with a seven speed auto, column shift, air suspension so it does go up and down on command but it is a big proper SUV full time 4x4 not one of those cross-over thingy’s.. I don’t think I will ever go back to having a normal car for my every day vehicle, I worked six months last year in Bristol traveling down on a Sunday evening returning back on a Friday evening never missed a beat and real quality armchair motoring, MPG it’s in the mid 20’s round town and early 30’s on a run, not bad really for its size and weight, better than most Range Rovers and similar SUV’s, suppose thats the German engineering for ya...

I will sort you a couple of pictures out in the next few days of both vehicles, I’m still in Rotherham so a few miles from you but I travel up, down, across the country with work so the logistics will be no issue, just like they weren’t when I collected the Jimny.. I have a couple of options available to me with regards delivery to your door. The first, I drive down and get the train back, the second is her in doors has already suggested she would be happy to follow me down and bring me back.

Cheers
Chris..

Big-chris

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 03:43:30 PM »

Hi john, sounds like your project S2 is moving forward for you which is great news, not heard back from you with regards the Jimny  ??? Pm sent, but thought I would just mention it here in case you have missed the pm.. Absolutely no issues from my side, I was reminded yesterday by swmbo with regard the fleet reduction conversion and asked how it was progressing  :whistle

If you can just give me the nod over the next couple of days as to your plans it would be very much appreciated... I’m looking forward to hearing about your new project and progress you are making, if I had some steel bar mate I would send it to you with a socket welded on the end, but unfortunately I let a lot of my unused steel stock go a couple of years ago, like ya do  :'(

Although I might have the odd drag link bar knocking about  :bright-idea might have a look through the corner of the garage and see if there is awt useful for ya  :tiphat

Cheers
Chris..

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 05:18:58 PM »

Hi Chris,

Sorry to have not replied.

I would love the Jimny back, even for a short period, but unfortunately, Barbara found it very difficult to get into it.  Currently, it looks like her knee operations will not be going ahead ... we are currently in a "stand off" with the "CLINIC". They refuse to do the operation, unless she get's out of her wheelchair, and walks. IF she could walk, she wouldn't bother having the operation.  I feel a crusade coming over me. 

So that's why my next Landy project is going to be standing on tiny wheels ... and possibly a side mounted elevator.

HTH,

John (602)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 08:49:54 AM »

Hi Chris,

I think I'm going to have to say NO to your offer. It hurt when I sold it, but I suspect it will hurt if I buy it back.

We've just bought Barbara a new electric wheel-chair, which has taken our savings close to our her comfort level. And I have just started on another project.

But thankyou for thinking of me.

Big-chris

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 02:32:58 PM »

No worries John, i felt your pain when I collected it from you, but also was happy to be helping end your frustrations with trying to move on an unroadworthy motor, there are too many sharks out there!
I’m happy you have something lined up to fill the space keeping you busy and focused.. great news about Barbara’s new wheels, will improve quality of life I’m sure, hopefully you can both sort out the clinic in the near future..

It’s just a shame you are not a bit closer, I feel we would be pottering with trucks together, there must be someone in your area willing to lend a hand when required?

All the best, Chris..

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 10:51:16 PM »

It’s just a shame you are not a bit closer, ....there must be someone in your area willing to lend a hand when required?

Hi Chris,

I'm sure you are right.

Would you believe that I feel it difficult ask? In previous "exitances", there was always the knowledge that "reciprocation" would be likely, and anyway, they usually asked first. During my first week at DVLC, I was asked to help move an MG TC around the "Asker's" garden, in the lunch break. That was, er, Yikes, nigh on 50 years ago. We've been best friends ever since ... the sort where you can ask them to "help get rid of the body".

Another friend, but in the same "gang" was helping me build my "edifice". I'd had bit of an accident ... so he brought his wife ... to mix the cement.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2020, 08:07:03 PM »

Hi again,

That best friend became the Registrar General of Shipping

Gone are days when if he met a strange woman, he had to yank his trousers down a couple of inches, so that his bum wasn't poking out.

We are each others "Pied de Terres" (French spelling?) ... MK and Swansea Valley.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.