S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: OFF TOPIC ... Cost of replacing lost hearing aid  (Read 4167 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: OFF TOPIC ... Cost of replacing lost hearing aid
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2019, 05:24:58 AM »

OK, so they pour in some gunk and take moulding of your ear hole.

Hi Wittsend,

Not with me, they didn't.

Mine are just a bit of springy wire, with the CPU sittiing behind the flap of my ear, and removable plastic cap on the other end that I stick in my lug-hole. I'd guess pennies to manufacture the hardware, with all the expense going into micro computer, programming, and profit.

My "consultant" told me that the NHS will not lash out for the tweeny hearing aids for children, coz they tend to get lost. The 602 solution?  Give then a pair of "cans" (?) like what the USAAF bomber pilots wore in WW2. If you can't hide them ... flaunt them. (all your mates will want a go). Of course, the kids would also need floppy peaked caps to wear under them.

PS, Hmmm ... visions of the "natural" solution ... a parrot on each shoulder, that screech what they hear, into your lug-holes, at close range. I wonder if I could flog that idea to the Flintstones. I'll get my coat.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2019, 07:12:11 AM »

you're going to have your metaphorical trousers taken down so to speak.. :-X

Hi Porkscratching,

The officer told me to "adopt the position". Was he wanting to test my ears?  :-X

Here in MK, the service seems excellent. Frequent knock on door ... Chemist delivering prescriptions. A couple of times Barbara's optician has delivered stuff connected with her contact lenses ... don't ask me what, I've learned not to ask about "women's stuff". All free of charge ... maybe was added to the cost of my hearing aids?

I've even had a bloke from Bedford knock on the door. He'd come to change the filters on my hearing aids. "I've already shown you how to this!"

Yeah, looked easy when he does it. I can get the old filter (reminissent of a lighter flint) out, but can't get the new one in.  ??? Do I need a bigger hammer? Nowadays, Barbara just phones Bedford, who tell us to send it to them by Special Delivery. They have even sent us a special envelope. All FOC. I think I will get Barbara to phone about a replacement, using our new, clear as a bell, telephone ..... which reminds me of the joke about Quasimodo ... has everybody heard it?

Why get Barbara to phone? She has Executive Authority to say "Go ahead"  :o

Er ... nobody took  mouldings from my ears. The bit you shove in the hole holds the filter, and had a tiny plastic, pull off, cap.

Smokey 11a

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6784
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2019, 07:48:41 AM »

Go see your NH doctor, ask for a hearing test and go to the hospital for the test. Mine were free and so are the batteries. Great for using as ear defender, just turn them off.  :thud

fv1620

• Hub seal tester
    • Shorland Site
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2019, 08:40:41 AM »

NHS Wales have provided me with a pair of deaf aids FOC, but one at time. Just one initially to prove that I could get on with it & sufficiently motivated to wear such devices. Initially an impression was taken for a moulding, when the fit day came it was pointed out that all audio traffic had to be passed through the deaf aid. When the battery goes flat nothing will be heard.

I was able to choose to have a hollow insert that allowed normal hearing to continue & the deaf aid would just boost the top frequencies. Given that there is very little notice of a battery about to pack up, I'm glad I opted for the hollow inserts.

It seems the ones fitted were a newer type (ReSound Danalogue) & were also available in the private market. The problem I find is that putting on reading/driving glasses they can displace the deaf aid which is balanced rather than seated on top of the ear.

I have curiously only lost the one on the right ear several times but after hours of searching outdoors found it. But last time after most of the day searching had to give up. I got an appointment to have another fitted within a week at a cost of £68. A bargain, I certainly don't begrudge paying that, if replacement was free I would imagine the loss rate would increase.

Incidentally it disturbs me that on line that there are many sellers of free NHS packaged batteries. You can identify these by the unique packaging & the top of the package marked FREE ISSUE has been cut off (square edge from scissors & lower edge rounded) When I ran low & my issued batteries were lost in the post I had to buy some. I noticed the cut packaging & the expiry dates where the same as the issued ones.

I reported the fact that there were some sellers with large quantities of FREE ISSUE batteries to NHS Fraud but had no response, I suppose they are after bigger fish? It bugs me that this theft from the NHS is a cost for us all.
Clive Elliott GW4MBS (ex-G8ADP)

Always wanted old British Army publications of any period (the older the better) eg AESP, ACI, COSA, DCI, EMER, EMPS, JSP, LoC, RAOS, VAOS, etc, Army & WO Coded publications

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2019, 04:56:37 PM »

Hi,

£1,149.00

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 19 queries.