S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT: House Electrics  (Read 4770 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: OT: House Electrics
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2019, 03:13:48 PM »

Hi,

When I was about 14, I stepped into then bath tub ... hit the wall behind me, and slid down to a sitting position.  Probably a 5ft jump, backwards, from standing on one leg.

This was the bottom flat, in a once posh Victorian semi. The bathroom was in what had once been the coal house (brick built). Well.what do you expect for seventeen shillings and sixpence per week (this was before the Rent Act, in the early/mid 1950s.

So, ,what was so shocking? The condensation on the tiled walls was live. Dad pulled the fuse, and from then on we bathed in the dark.

I won't mention the gas Geyser (in brass). I cannot remember the time when I didn't light it myself.

602, previuosly of 46 Blenheim Park Road, South Croydon. Phone CRO4856.

geoff

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2019, 05:43:28 PM »

There is actually no issues with have normal sockets in a bathroom, the reason it's not common is most bathrooms are not big enough to have required distance from a wet zone.

True enough but a flaw in many ways as there is no accounting for the human factor  :-X

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2019, 05:33:37 AM »

True enough but a flaw in many ways as there is no accounting for the human factor

Hi Geoff,

You mean like holding the bare ends of the cable in the socket with match sticks?

One day, while swimming in the "puddle" at Khan Creek (near Dubai) I experienced a strong "tingle", every time I got close to some rocks.

Electric eel?  ???

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2019, 07:21:07 AM »

Hi,

We bought on old cottage in France .. .£10,000, but in Euros. The re-wire was done by an Englishman who had passed the French trade-tests.

He put two sockets (I don't remember if they were switched) above the wash basin, which was acceptable to the French Building Inspector. Merde! (whatever that means?)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 22 queries.