S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spurious wheel and tyre comments from a different forum  (Read 1962 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Spurious wheel and tyre comments from a different forum
« on: June 02, 2020, 06:05:48 PM »

Hi,

Below are a couple of replies to queries I posted on another 4x4 forum. I think they are self explanatory, and may be useful/ of interest to other members.

May we identify non-competing forums?

Ivor William plant and other trailers using Land Rover stud spacing (5x165), so that's not a problem, if available 14 inch would be a good place to start and fit 175/80R14 tyres, they start at 25.5 inches in diameter compared to the Land Rover 29.4 inch for a 205/80R16. IW do a 13 inch rim if that was ok then you could fit 185/70R13 tyres which would come out at 23.6 inch diameter, so maybe too small.If it was me i would see what is available wheel wise and work from there, a nearly worn out casing on what ever size wheel will confirm what would or would not fit clearance wise on the LR the front much more than the backSecurity list a 185/70R13 MT603 tyre with a higher load rating than some 205/80R16 so there should not be a problem there.

205/80R16 tyres come out with a load rating of 900 kg per tyre giving you 1800 kg per axle.

Security list a 185/70R13 MT603 tyre with a higher load rating than some 205/80R16 so there should not be a problem there.

Mr Tyre
Odometer: 4916

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
Re: Spurious wheel and tyre comments from a different forum
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 05:27:17 AM »

Hi,

I "done a Google" and found a lot of trailer wheels, pre-fitted with trailer tyres, LR stud patter, all sorts of wheel diametres. Prices were acceptablr.

Questions ...

Are trailer tyres marked "TRAILER"?

Are there any legal restrictions preventing trailer tyres from being fitted to the "tractor unit/prime mover"?  I presume the opposite arrange arrangement is OK, else there would be a lot of caravan users getting narked when they have to wait for a remote village garage to order a tyre to match the spec of the tyre on the other hub ... or having to buy two tyres for one blow-out.

2H

• Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 10:32:34 AM »

Looked at some this morning they were not stamped 'TRAILER USE ONLY'

gvo416j R.I.P.

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 04:22:03 PM »

In the farming & HGV world [or LGV as it is now] there are, or at least used to be, tyres which are marked with which axles they could be used on. In the past I have seen IMPLEMENT ONLY, TRAILER USE ONLY and NOT FOR USE ON TRACTIVE UNIT but I do not know whether such things are still about.

I have never seen any tyres made for our size of vehicle and trailer which was specifically marked for trailer use [that is not to say such things are not avilable]-- you need to be aware if the trailer needs a stronger tyre to carry the weight, and be able to decypher and understand the load and speed rating which is embossed on the tyre sidewall.

i.e. a normal car tyre on mid range caravan wheels will just pop the first time it is run any distance as it cannot carry the weight.

the opposite is sometimes true for landrover size wheels. A heavy duty tyre meant for a trailer may be ok weigh wise and will wear extremely well but it will not have the speed rating for newer landrover models [discounting S2 here :-X]

2H

• Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 05:11:32 PM »

108/106N on the trailer tyre will tell you that a tyre can carry a 1000 kgs at 87 mph, which should cover the majority of standard engined, standard axle Series Land Rovers.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 06:21:57 AM »

Hi,

Thanks for comments.

As you are probably aware, my plans involve fitting smaller wheels and tyres onto my next project, to lower the seat cushion height to compensate for Barbara's arthritic knees, and alter the VR, to allow fitting of a smaller engine to suit a Milton Keynes cruising lifestyle (and to be honest ... "just because I can")

There seems to be plenty of advice about fitting car tyres onto trailers.but nothing (yet) about fitting trailer tyres onto cars. I think a letter to VOSA, and another to a tyre manufacturer are called for.

In the mean time, I found this ... https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/trailer-tyres-the-7-year-rule.644089 ... during my searches. It didn't answer my question, but it warns about using out-of-date tyres. Probably worth a read.

It seems there is no rule about old tyres in UK, but I know that in France, the Controle Technique (MOT) will fail a tyre more than five years old, and I suspect that Monsieur Flic will take it further. I don't know how he will react to a UK vehicle, on the Route National (?), running on 10 year old tyres. Anybody?

The date of manufacture is embossed on the tyres side-wall.

602 (Who HAS had tyres fall apart underneath him ... but not recently.)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 09:42:39 AM »

Hi Both,

Thanks again.

I had not considered SPEED RATING, but I suspect that the Landy rear diff ratio, on little tyres, is going to the deciding factor ... I'll make up for it on the roundabouts.

But I'll do the math before placing an order.

I'm now awaiting a reply to my "suitability" query.

If push comes to shove, I'll have to query buying little wheels with LR PCD, and fitting normal "goods rated" tyres.

Do Range Rovers come with space saver spare wheels?  :whistle

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 09:20:24 PM »

Hi,

Below is a very prompt reply about legality of using trailer tyres on my project.

Due to the usual offset measurement of a Land Rover Wheel, I would recommend a 14” wheel.

This has a 39mm offset and obviously a 6.5” PCD.

The tyre size on this particular wheel would be 185R14C.

It would be something we would have to order in for you as it is not a usual stock item of ours.

Let me know if this would be okay.

Unfortunately, the nice lady did not specifically say that their trailer tyres were suitable for motorised vehicles, but at least I know the wheels are available. I will write to her again.

Can anybody here clarify the OFFSET thingy? My project is an 88", but I would prefer 109" wheels ... IF I was using Land wheels. I like to fill my arches.

2H

• Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 07:10:12 PM »

There will be 6mm of offset difference between LWB later Series wheels (33mm) and the wheel suggested 39mm. SWB are 46mm.  Can't see 185R14 8 ply being near to what the load rating of  LR tyres most are only 102/100 per tyre.

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 09:29:27 AM »

A quick look and it seems most 185R14C are in the 100 /102 load rating and Q to T  on speed. Basically a van tyre

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2020, 07:29:10 PM »

Hi,

Many thanks, I'll make further enquiries before spending money.

My ex-Robin Rew Scimitar GTE was fitted with 185x14s with some silly speed rating, probably "H" (Robin used to tow his factory" racing" Sabre to meetings on a huge trailer, behind the Scimitar ... and usually competed in both (not at the same time). Scimitars were (I think) 24cwt unladen, and carried four passengers plus luggage ... not so different from a 88" ... but somewhat faster.

2H

• Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2020, 08:06:45 PM »

Perhaps a chat with an MOT tester will give you some idea of what he looks at at an MOT,they look at tyre condition, is the direction of rotation right, legal depth,have you same size on the same axle, do they look at at load rating?, as load rating is more likely to be covered by Construction and Use Regulations than a MOT inspection maybe, hasn't this site got someone who is an MOT inspector?.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2020, 10:42:34 AM »

Hi 2H,

In France, the Controle Technique test includes the AGE of the tyres, as does being stopped by M.Flick.I think 5 years from date of manufacture is the cut-off point.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 23 queries.