S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: What you did with your Series 2s in July ?  (Read 19009 times)

Avalon

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7597
  • .:
What you did with your Series 2s in July ?
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2020, 08:18:17 PM »

I drained the front axle and diff. Then I annealed the copper crush washer and fitted the plug back in, then I refilled the diff with 90 weight.
Afterwards I picked up some tree branches and took them to the dump.
As it was hitting 30 degrees C. , I quit for the day.

Cheers John.

Gibbo103

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5172
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2020, 12:23:25 AM »

Just had a nice evening drive up to North Norfolk arriving at five past midnight, so we are now allowed to stop! I’ll be able to make a start on the dormobile later today!

Herald1360

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5979
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2020, 12:43:00 AM »

Loaded it up on friend's trailer and took it to get its busted gearbox replaced by something up to the 200Tdi.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2020, 03:04:16 AM »

t will be too high for Barbara to get in.

Hi Peter,

Now there's a challenge ...

... what would be involved in fitting portal axles ... upside down?

I also considered a sort of "straddle carrier". And didn't B17s (eg:-Memphis Belle) have a belly mounted gun turret?

OT. Wasn't it a B17 that returned from a "sortie" with an ME109 buried in the fuselage?

vod80

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6312
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2020, 06:25:27 AM »

And didn't B17s (eg:-Memphis Belle) have a belly mounted gun turret?
OT. Wasn't it a B17 that returned from a "sortie" with an ME109 buried in the fuselage?

Yes. The Sperry ball turret in which the gunner adopted some kind of foetal position. Must have been hell!

And, as far as I know, no ME109s bought back but a famous case of the tail nearly severed after a colision with a 109!

Cheers, Tony
Not getting anywhere, fast

David A

• Old Brummie
  • S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5546
  • .:
  • 1958 Series2 swb , 2003 110 utility td5
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2020, 11:28:27 AM »

Just collected the '58 rims from the "blaster" , nicely primed and ready for painting.
David A

Gibbo103

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5172
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2020, 01:24:06 PM »

Woke this morning to a field full of poppies- Norfolk opium crop? The dormobile is now up and running again albeit with a temporary fuel tank. Love the sound of the six pot!

Betsy1969

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5469
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2020, 02:09:37 PM »

In the middle of clearing a space on my bench ready for gearbox extraction , as soon as fedex deliver my new engine crane . Also skirting carefully around overdrive which is already there.

Ndrwdz

• Shop Manager
  • S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3755
  • .:
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2020, 03:03:46 PM »

Went shopping and came back with a roof, sides and catflap.

Andrew
[ºº]O O[ºº]

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2020, 03:23:29 PM »

OT but hopefully soon LR related...Having re-arranged the shed ( more a major tidy up) I have a place for a dedicated "welding bench". Started practising with a burst garden chair, seat snapped off its hinge. Used a short length of an old bracket to "join" the two. No pictures because the welding looks like pigeon poo and you'll all laugh.... But its passed the "Can you sit on it again ? " test at least.

More practise required before I'll try anything on a Landrover !

:-X

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Michael A F

• Chassis welder
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2020, 06:59:58 PM »

Went shopping and came back with a roof, sides and catflap.

Andrew
But left some hoops and other bits but some parts missing but I did manage to take out the series to my mates house with top of and did enjoy that wind in bold spot
And I missed the rain as well

Betsy1969

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5469
  • .:
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2020, 05:29:00 PM »

Whilst I’ve got the seatbox out I decided to fit the bracket that goes behind the seats to hold the spare wheel as the bottom 2 bolts are a bu**er to get at otherwise. I’ve had this bracket at least 4 years , bought at Peterborough for £10 it’s either NOS or refurbed and re galvanised . Just out of curiosity I looked at the price from various suppliers  :agh
What a shock , £ 95 £195 and £249 from different places. Thinking I got a bargain 😀

Andy

Paul4978

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6908
  • .:
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2020, 07:25:17 PM »

Got it running again after an ignition problem.
New coil, HT leads, cap, rotor arm and points. Tested all wiring. Starts so well now and runs well. Just been out for my last 5 miler before it's eased tomorrow.
Also fitted a charge point

A-Ro

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1998
  • .:
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2020, 09:22:04 PM »

Took my lovely new restored Landy for it's first tentative steps, half filled it with the most expensive petrol in Oxfordshire I'm sure and headed off towards Cowley a whole 5 miles away. This was about 11:30 this morning.

I got to the Green Road Roundabout about 2.5 miles from my house and she cut out on the roundabout, yes, you guessed, middle lane front row, almost certainly fuel starvation. I rang the RAC and they turned up inside the hour, in the meantime I rang 101 to report a hazard on the roundabout and while I was on the phone to them a guy in a recovery vehicle used his vehicle to block off the inside land and he single handedly pushed the 109" StationWagon with me in it around the corner to safety. The man was a horse and has my undying gratitude.

The RAC man said the brand new electric fuel pump is broken and he couldn't get a spare and couldn't tow me anywhere because he was in a transit and I don't have a towing eye on the front so I had to wait another 90 minutes for a man with a lorry. who took me to an industrial estate where he was going to leave her overnight on the road to wait for the owner of the repair company to turn up at 9am to find a random Landy sitting outside his workshop. I wasn't happy with that, the least I expected was a secure compound but an unoccupied unsecured industrial estate was not where I wanted to lose my nice new Landy on only her second night with me. So she is now back home.

Could it be something other than a bust pump? she fires up and dies immediately. I'm trying without much luck to get hold of a mobile mechanic before I go much further.

It's time like this I wish I was still drinking.
When designing something to be foolproof never underestimate the ingenuity of fools.

gilbo

• Master of the oils
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2020, 09:47:59 PM »

Took my lovely new restored Landy for it's first tentative steps, half filled it with the most expensive petrol in Oxfordshire I'm sure and headed off towards Cowley a whole 5 miles away. This was about 11:30 this morning.

I got to the Green Road Roundabout about 2.5 miles from my house and she cut out on the roundabout, yes, you guessed, middle lane front row, almost certainly fuel starvation. I rang the RAC and they turned up inside the hour, in the meantime I rang 101 to report a hazard on the roundabout and while I was on the phone to them a guy in a recovery vehicle used his vehicle to block off the inside land and he single handedly pushed the 109" StationWagon with me in it around the corner to safety. The man was a horse and has my undying gratitude.

The RAC man said the brand new electric fuel pump is broken and he couldn't get a spare and couldn't tow me anywhere because he was in a transit and I don't have a towing eye on the front so I had to wait another 90 minutes for a man with a lorry. who took me to an industrial estate where he was going to leave her overnight on the road to wait for the owner of the repair company to turn up at 9am to find a random Landy sitting outside his workshop. I wasn't happy with that, the least I expected was a secure compound but an unoccupied unsecured industrial estate was not where I wanted to lose my nice new Landy on only her second night with me. So she is now back home.

Could it be something other than a bust pump? she fires up and dies immediately. I'm trying without much luck to get hold of a mobile mechanic before I go much further.

It's time like this I wish I was still drinking.

I expect you will be on the phone to the 'restorer' who told you driving it 70 miles home was too much?
Looks like he was correct  :shakeinghead
Could be several things I suppose but a quick check would be pull the pipe of the carb and turn the ingition on to see if any fuel does pump out - might be an idea to have a jar to put the pipe end in and an assistant to turn the key!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.