S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canvas hood with side windows  (Read 1398 times)

CornwallDave

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6471
Canvas hood with side windows
« on: July 28, 2020, 03:16:14 PM »

A question for those with hoods with the side windows.  How do the windows fair with be battered by bushes and trees?  Some of the places I go to work can be quite overgrown and the current hood gets battered but even though its old and starting to fall to bits it has held up really well.  I would like a hood with side windows but I am concerned that bushes etc might tear it so after advice from someone who has them.

Cheers
Dave

Calum

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 6930
  • .:
    • C Barrow Engineering Ltd
Re: Canvas hood with side windows
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 03:22:07 PM »

Mine has held up well so far. Lots of narrow lanes and brambles etc round here and no problem so far! Exmoor tilt purchased second hand around 4 or 5 years ago.

Formerlyjeremy

• Swivel King
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 04:19:26 PM »

Side windows were offered for export but not here due to the purchase tax and later car tax and VAT regulations - which basically state that the tax is not payable if the vehicle doesn't have windows behind the driver's seat.

Didn't pay it on 12 seats or more either which is why 109 Station Wagons cost much the same as 88's (after Rover realised this in about 1960 and increased the seating from 10 to 12)

CornwallDave

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6471
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 06:33:58 PM »

Side windows were offered for export but not here due to the purchase tax and later car tax and VAT regulations - which basically state that the tax is not payable if the vehicle doesn't have windows behind the driver's seat.

Didn't pay it on 12 seats or more either which is why 109 Station Wagons cost much the same as 88's (after Rover realised this in about 1960 and increased the seating from 10 to 12)

???

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 07:05:50 PM »

I put windows in my 1/2 Ton  lightweight when I fitted a hard top  Advised HM Customs & Excise ( as it was then )  and was advised that duty was payable , but the amount was calculated as  nil.  and the vehicle status was changed to chargeable . Interestingly they knew exactly when the vehicles was dispatched from Land Rover ,   when at the time I didn't.  I also used the same  letter to advise DVLA of the correct year of manufacture which they accepted without quibble .

kev

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6287
  • .:
  • Blah, blah, blah...
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 07:10:56 PM »

Polished vinyl side windows will stand up better to driving through bushes, as will polished paintwork.
Strange but true.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 23 queries.