S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Please pull my plug!  (Read 13769 times)

Richard

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 5937
  • .:
Re: Please pull my plug!
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2019, 09:57:05 PM »

I'm relatively new to this community, not a frequent reader or poster, more of a lurker in fact, and this comes as somewhat of a surprise. Every so often I read here, on the new forum, but also on the old, that this is such a nice place to be. Much nicer than other places on the internet (which is not exactly true: I know in fact of one other place that is as nice as this one, and I presume there are more…). One man's quip is another man's offense. And vice versa. So here's me "fingering crosses" that you stay. There's life in diversity.

Richard
1964 S2a, 1997 Disco 1, 1978 RRC

Mr Pickles

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 1446
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2019, 10:25:03 PM »

602, John,
               Don't take any notice of anybody who moans about your posts!
I really enjoy them, I have been following up on the links that you and others have put up, which have given me immense pleasure.

You even solved a 50+ year old mystery for me, about Bloodhound missile loading.

Your hearing aid posts, have also amused me, as a wearer of these beasts as well, I have felt your loss!

Stay, lurk and pop in when you feel you want to brighten our days!

Mr. P

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2019, 10:40:42 PM »

John
I suspect that with the onset of anno domini and Barbara's decreasing mobility you are beginning to feel a little fragile.

Things that in the past you have been able to shrug off now get to you. 

People may sometimes make comments without realising that they hurt or upset someone.

What will we do without your stories?

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

TJRL

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3529
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2019, 11:41:56 PM »

Have always enjoyed your posts, John. You are one of the Forum members that I always read, whether on topic, or off ...   :-X
I forbid you to abandon the Forum. :-\
Paul

+1   :cheers
1960 SWB SW (11k since rebuild)
2010 Range Rover L322 (336k!)
2020 BMW R1250RT
2021 Triton ST-125 ("Monkey" Bike)

Rambler

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5256
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2019, 12:33:30 AM »

+1   :cheers
I couldn’t agree more with all the supporting words above .  All the best John
Ian
Former custodian of:

- a 1957 Series 1, 88” with hard top
- Luna, a 1961 Series 2, 88” with full tilt (restoration completed in 2020)
- Tardis, a 1973 Series 3, 88” with hard top (last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas)

Peter Holden

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2019, 06:55:15 AM »

Would it be possible for someone from Central Shires to go and visit John and have a chat with him to let him know how much we value him.

Peter

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2019, 07:16:19 AM »

Hi to all of the above.

I intend to pop in daily (suruptiscolly ...  with bad spelling) for a few days, in case there is something needing my attention.

"Oh ****! Tears are running down my cheeks, as they were when I was keying my resignation/.

Pause while I compose my self.

Most of you will not be aware that my Medical Retirement from DVLA was due to me being in a "dark place" ... which I feel could be attributed to my managers. OK, that's not your problem. But I don't want to go back to that dark place. There are times when I can feel it sneaking up on me.

Repeat ... it's not your problem ... unless it affects you ... which it was.

While keying my resignation, I was aware that changing my mind later would be akin to "crying wolf" (sort of). It was the hardest thing I've ever done, at least in recent memory. (Ok ... maybe hold my lovely Bess, while the vet put a bullet between her eyes). Terminal

Oh ***, ****, ****!

Quick finish ... I don't see how I can come back.

Fond regards

John (602)

PS. Overtaken by Peter. Any friends are welcome to call, almost anytime. If two cars are in the drive, and I don't answer, I will be walking Wilkie, back in a few minutes. Barbara would take several minutes to reach the front door, and be in agony while doing so.

PS Oh ****, again.

Peter Holden

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2019, 07:46:06 AM »

John I finished work 13 years ago due to depression and anxiety and although I am mostly OK now the are times when "winston's" black dog takes over and all I can see is negative.  It does come back to some sort of normality eventually until the next episode.  During those periods of gloom I often make decisions and say things that I regret later.

No one wil think you are crying wolf, if people dont understand that sometimes we would like to change our minds then they are not worth bothering with.

NOW is the time to change your mind otherwise you may regret it later, plus we want to know how Barbara gets on with her knees and how much she will let you spend on a car.

I am sure that if you need transport to a CS pub meet any time there will be willing chauffeurs.

Peter

andyjb

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4619
  • .:
  • Misty 1972 Series 3 Petrol LPG
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2019, 09:44:23 AM »

John
I'd rather you stick around to. I enjoy reading any information that you post relevant to me or not. I also like Peter understand were you are coming from. If you want my advice stick around and enjoy the ride. Those that dont like what you post can always get off the bus. In true British Grit tell em to sod off.
Andy
Misty 1972 Series 3 SWB 2.25 Petrol LPG

nanuq

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2019, 09:45:10 AM »

602,  pardon me for putting my nose in here, but I will.

Life is hard.  Troubles accumulate and it overwhelms us.  It happens to all of us, but few are strong enough to admit it.  You are not alone.

When we're hurting we find solace in comfortable things and places.  When everything around you is crumbling, you look at comfortable places where you can just breathe deeply for a moment and recover some strength.  It feels selfish and guilty to do so, but it's important.  So what happens when your comfortable places become unwelcoming and uncomfortable?  Strange as it seems, internet places like this are comfortable places for all of us.  What happens when a place like this seems to turn on you?  Where do you turn?

These are real feelings, and you shouldn't try to squash them or run from them.  They're coming up as a result of trouble, and the trouble is real.... so the feelings are too.  Wishing them away won't make them go away.  Talking them out will help.  That helps to put the whole mental furball into line instead of a huge tangle.

Over the last few years I've got to the point several times that my head was buzzing and my cheeks were flushed all the time, like I was flushed with adrenaline all the time.  That's fight/flight response to stress.  It doesn't help to squash that down, because it doesn't go away ... it just gets squashed.  Some people try to hide it beneath alcohol or drugs and that doesn't help either.

Usually I get too stressed like that when there are too many things to do, or too many impossible tasks and responsibilities.  Everyone's solution is different, mine is to go hiking.  I'm lucky because there are lonely climbing places in the mountains everywhere I look around the house, so I take the dogs and go.  Or sometimes I'll leave them home.  Pick something that's not very strenuous, so you don't have to think about the hike.  Then point your toes uphill and start the mental workout.

Force yourself to focus your thoughts on the right-here/right-now.  It's hard because your mind wants to spin off on that hamster wheel.  So look down at the dirt trail, and at the flower right there beside your boot.  Stop and count the petals.  Breathe in, breathe out.  Look around and see if there's a wild rose nearby.  Keep your mind on the right-here/right-now and do not let it wander.  Close your eyes and smell the aromas on the wind.  Climb a little more, and stop to look at the bark on a tree.  Look for bugs.  Listen for birds.  Climb a little more, and turn to see where you've been.  Look up and see where you're going.  Feel your heart beating.  Think about the right-here/right-now.  Feel your forehead getting cold from the sweat.  Climb some more and pick a nice sunny spot to lie down and just soak in the moment.  Feel how cold the ground is, notice how warm your breath is.  Look at the clouds.  Keep your mind in the right-here/right-now.  See if you can make your mind think of absolutely nothing at all (it's a lot harder than you think).  Breathe in, breathe out.... smell the air.

What you're doing is organizing your thoughts, putting them in order.  Pushing the abstract off into the distance and making the stuff you can see and smell and touch matter.  You're slowing down and actively calming your mind, and that brings a sense of relief from your worries.  Next comes gratitude for the peace, it just happens.  Soak in the gratitude.  And what a treasure it is to feel that peace.  That's all I let myself think about..... peace and thankfulness for that peace.  Close your eyes and feel peaceful and smell the air.

Get in the habit of doing this several times a week, Wilkie will love it and you'll find yourself leaving a whole lot of burdens up there in the hills.  And you'll find yourself talking to God about what a great climb it was on the way back down. 

Hang in there John.  You matter a lot more than you know.

-Bob

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2019, 09:59:53 AM »

WTF ?
602, mate, I love your posts and all your stories from the old world, some of which I just about remember too!
You're one of the most memorable blokes on " the strength" and I'm sure one of the most popular and a fundamental part of this gang, you just keep posting every day, 602 that's an order..!!!  ;)

Scotty38

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 5319
  • .:
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2019, 10:14:39 AM »

As everyone has already said there's no need for you to go anywhere, I for one am always intrigued to see where your "Ronnie Corbett" tales lead us  :RHD

I genuinely believe this forum gets moderated well to keep it in line with its family oriented ethos so every single post/poster is fair game to have things moderated if they stray too far from that or too far OT. Post a lot and statistics say you'll get moderated at some point but it's no big deal, we're very strict  :neener

Don't worry about it!
Wittsend's Little Helper....

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2019, 10:55:40 AM »

John,

I too have been "in a dark place", had to take time off work and I'm still being followed about by what Churchill called "the black dog". Depression and its regular drinking buddies, Anxiety and Stress, are a dreadful affliction and you are not alone in suffering. I hope that this Club and the sub-set of members on here come across as a friendly and hospitable bunch and will support anyone in trouble, an unusual noise in the bowels of the gearbox....or something more personal.

Gene
Chairmans Hat 

:tiphat

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

crumbly65

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 912
  • .:
  • "Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2019, 01:02:38 PM »

Come on 602, stick with us bro.....

When you're in the glooms, you can't see that you WILL come out of them at some time.  Like being in the bottom of a hole at night, and you can't see or find the way to climb out of it, until the sun rises and illuminates the best hand and foot holds to enable you to climb out.  There will be a morning soon, when you'll wake up and know that you are feeling better.

I can't add much to all the comments made on here so far, other than to say that I fully agree with all of them.  Your posts on here are read, enjoyed, and learned from, by all of us.

And you, and your good lady, ARE cared about.

So leave your plug in pal........ 

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2019, 01:48:36 PM »

John, you have helped so many on here, myself included, with advice, parts or (perhaps most importantly) to raise a smile with your stories and anecdotes that the forum would be a poorer place without you.

Like others here I know what being in a "dark place" feels like, and honestly the mind can play some cruel tricks, including isolating us at the very time when support is most important.

Take a break for a few days if you feel like it, but do come back, please.

Matt.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.591 seconds with 20 queries.