S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: What you did with your Series 2 in September ???  (Read 20453 times)

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
What you did with your Series 2 in September ???
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2019, 07:07:17 PM »

Looked at it from above....
Who's a then ?

rowehillmaster

• Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2019, 07:42:38 PM »

today I have mainly been topping up the front diff - filler was a pig to undo (ended up driving on a 1/2" to 3/4" adapter, around the other way, after filing off the burrs, from previous removal attempts, and using a 2' bar and socket on the 3/4" male end)  :first

CornwallDave

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6471
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2019, 08:08:12 PM »

Refitting vent panels, wiper motor and washers. Its getting there  :-*

Ferret1958uk

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 6604
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2019, 08:27:36 PM »

On the 1971 Safari I checked for a number on the bonnet striker plate (271) after reading a thread on this forum.
On the 1968 Rover 11 FFR I checked the oils.
On the 1964 Rover 8 FFR I did the first ever road test. Got it hot. Spent ages sourcing leaks and doing various adjustments. Realised the gearbox was forgotten during the rebuild. All works, but full of water contamination in the oil.
On the 1965 Rover 9 ambulance took the rear brakes apart to source a problem. Left for now whilst I await a wheel cylinder and new brake linings.
Then drove the 1968 Rover 11 FFR home with no roof or windscreen, because that is the only way!
Merlin
1964 Rover 8 FFR;
1968 Rover 11 GS;
1968 Rover 11 Fire Unit Truck, Guided Weapons;
1965 Alexander Pressings narrow track trailer

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2019, 09:39:45 AM »

.... declared him MOT exempt for the first time !
I've just done that too..! Very straightforward much to my surprise, something they seem to have actually done right for a change !

Dinty

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2019, 10:04:08 AM »

I took myself (day off out of the shed working on my 5" gauge live steamer) to attend by invitation the "Vacy Village" fair with members of the 'Ye Olde Land Rover' club Vacy NSW, it is about about a 50 minute drive from my home depending on the traffic, I took along 113-372 a S2A GS that was used by the Aust/Army in Sth Vietnam as a 'Provo' vehicle, it is pictured here with another veteran of Sth Vietnam as well

the publican who owns the Farmers Hotel, is a Land Rover tragic as well as a Medical Dr in his daytime occupation, he has a beautiful S2A 109 "SIX" cyl station wagon, it is immaculate and really has to be seen to appreciated

the 'Doc' had marked a obstacle course behind the pub with an entry fee donated to a local charity, it was 1st prize to the slowest vehicle that completed the course without touching the brakes, stopping/reversing, penalties applied if you did LOL I didn't win anything but that doesn't matter, here is the line up of the 2nd Land Rover gathering @ Vacy, last year we had 6 vehicles it has doubled, hopefully next year it will have doubled again, the Series line up

the coilers line up at the far end

anyway despite the glorious sunshine the wind was howling and it was damn cold, cheers from down under Dennis  :wooly-jumper

rowehillmaster

• Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2019, 12:26:04 PM »

.... took a load of rubbish left over from decorating the hall, stairs and landing + the old carpet to the tip, no problems but I noticed that the windscreen washer was not working.  I thought it was empty when I needed it as when the engine (diesel) is running you can't hear if the pump is working ! so I topped it up, tested and nothing so I then disconnected the pump, re-made the connections and away it went- so its been filled up too !  :first

Rambler

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5256
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2019, 06:02:03 AM »

More fun and games testing my late 2A temp gauges (I have a couple spare) and the 2 temp senders I recently bought.  I also came across a helpful series of posts on the old S2 forum about the quality and variability of the resistivity of new temp senders, and hence my issue with the gauge not reading as it should.  It looks like I will be fitting a trim pot to the wiring, as suggested in Wittsend’s helpful post  :cheers
Thanks
Ian.
Former custodian of:

- a 1957 Series 1, 88” with hard top
- Luna, a 1961 Series 2, 88” with full tilt (restoration completed in 2020)
- Tardis, a 1973 Series 3, 88” with hard top (last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas)

Ferret1958uk

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 6604
  • .:
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2019, 09:38:43 PM »

Following on 7th September...
The 1965 Ambulance has new rear brakes!
As it was raining I took the 109 FFR out for a drive with the screen down still.

Piggle

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6109
  • .:
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2019, 07:52:13 AM »

Rolled the canvas sides back down...must mean Summer is over.

rmgosling

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 5787
  • .:
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2019, 12:41:34 PM »

Wasn't today but Saturday!

Took The Sister to the tip with wood and stuff in the back and had a "discussion  :-\" with one of the workers who told me I needed a permit.  "But I came last week and it was okay: no permit asked for . . ." I responded.  "It's a utility vehicle and people have been sacked for not checking permits" was his response.  Knowing the other posts on the forum I thought I would keep trying and pointed out it had seats in the back: I was ushered to the office where a poster was thrust in my face and he pointed to a SWB soft top Defender "that's your vehicle but without the top on".  I did contemplate pointing out that the picture was a defender and not a Siia and there was 50 years difference  :thud

I did manage to convince him to let me unload and that I would get a permit once home.  That said the permit is very specific to what you are tipping and only valid for 3 months  >:(

Cheers
1969 S11a SWB - The Sister
1982 S3 SWB West Kirby Fire Engine - Red

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2019, 12:46:14 PM »

It is very strange that within a few miles of where Richard lives another Authority has a different attitude to who can and cannot use a tip.  come to Chorley Richard you willnot have a problem.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

g6anz

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1690
  • .:
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2019, 01:42:14 PM »

Each tip has different rules that the powers that be change on a random basis.
I took 15 bags of soil and rubble to my local one only to be told that there was a maximum of 6 bags per week per vehicle. I have previously taken 15-18 bags with no question ??? ???

Malcolm

andyjb

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4619
  • .:
  • Misty 1972 Series 3 Petrol LPG
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2019, 10:15:52 PM »

It is very strange that within a few miles of where Richard lives another Authority has a different attitude to who can and cannot use a tip.  come to Chorley Richard you willnot have a problem.

Peter
Its true what Peter states. I once took over 50sacks of soil and rubble over the course of an afternoon to the tip here in Chorley had no problem, and also rescued a few interesting items.
However Peter if Richard comes and fills our skips what are me and thee going to fill  ;)
Misty 1972 Series 3 SWB 2.25 Petrol LPG

Lord Unstone

• Chassis welder
  • .:
    • Blog
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2019, 11:21:01 PM »

Hitched up the trailer, and headed off to somewhere near Stone, to collect a horse drawn plough! Bought it on ebay, I hve wanted one for years, to plant in the front garden!
1966 S2a diesel
1993 Morgan 4/4
Lister D, Bernard WO, VeloSolex...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 20 queries.