S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Big Brother is watching  (Read 3269 times)

Dentman

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2297
  • .:
  • RIP
Re: Big Brother is watching
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2020, 10:06:07 PM »

I'm due a skip run having ripped out fitted wardrobes back in March  :agh
I'm put off by the queues although my 88 is always welcome.
A <2m trailer is permitted too without a permit, my trailer is just on 2m so I got a permit anyway, .......it's free!  ???
Why Why Why Delilah ?

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2020, 07:53:53 AM »

Not a tip run on behalf of Lancs County Council, they are still saying no to vans and other restrictions including only 1 kind of waste.  They like me going in the land rover though. They always come for a socially distanced chat but one of the operatives has a classic motorbike.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

Rory

• Hub seal tester
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2020, 08:39:02 AM »

With my 109 Series one.

Tip Idiot. You can’t empty that as it’s a van.

Me. No it’s not it’s historic.

TI. No, it’s a van, it doesn’t have seats in the back.

Me. ( pointing out seats ) yes it has.

TI. It’s too long.

Me it’s 173 1/2  inches long , a mondao is 191 inches long.

TI. You can’t empty it as it hasn’t got seatbelts.

Me. It has never had seatbelts, it’s not stressed to have seatbelts, there is no legal requirement for it to have seatbelts and I’m not fitting them just for you.

TI. I’ll let you do it just this once but you have to get a permits for the next time.

Me. What’s the point? It meets all the correct criteria to get in and you should speak to your boss about what is and isn’t allowed in.

These conversations took part over three trips to the tip and after the last one I’ve never had any other problems. I do, however take biscuits to them on a regular basis.

Dire Straits

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 4547
  • Formally Lhmg
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2020, 09:51:08 AM »

Happy to say Mersyside Waste Disposal has improved,they opened up most sites awhile ago,however I waited for Maghull and Formby to reopen as any queue would block the main road,so they devised a booking system that works remarkably well ,so much better than usual,I'm happy for it to remain,no queues,allocated times,less customers on site and no problem getting a booking,what's not to like.
Les

Dentman

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2297
  • .:
  • RIP
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2020, 10:03:34 AM »

See how things are so much more civilised things are in Merseyside  ???

rustynuts

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3380
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2020, 10:12:42 AM »

Never had any problems in Hampshire. When I borrowed a Sankey trailer for a house move, I got a permit for it, which is supposed to be stamped each time you visit, allowing a maximum of 12 visits per year, but I was never asked for it. Since Covid, they operate an online booking system. It's only taken me three weeks to book a slot  >:D, but at least there shouldn't be a queue when I get there.

One advantage of the Series is that the ANPR in Sainsburys car park doesn't recognise the black and silver plate.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2020, 11:34:00 AM »

... and people still vote for them - that's more worrying  :thud

Hi Alan,

So let's lobby for a "None of above" tick-box on the ballot paper.

Alternatively, you could stand as the candidate for the NONE OF ABOVE Party. Who knows, you might even get elected. OK ... it probably won't work.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2020, 11:51:07 AM »

We already have that option - it just needs the voters to work it out, which is asking a lot.
You go to the polls, take your ballot paper and don't vote for any one, leave it blank or even write a rude message on it!

It gets registered as a spoilt vote.

People have fought and died for the right to vote.
It's shameful that the turnout at elections - local or national is pathetically low.
Vote - but you don't have to vote for any candidate on the list.

Big Brother really is watching you  >:(
The DVLA sell their database to any Tom, Dick or Harry despite the data protection laws  :thud

Who's a then ?

Safari John

• Hub seal tester
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2020, 12:19:55 PM »

Hey John,

well said. I think we need to find ways to motivate younger people to partake in the whole political process.

There may well be a need for reform, but Proportional Representation is not the answer. Just ask the Italians.
New Zealand introduced it as well, and now they are desperately looking at ways of getting rid of it because
it just doesn't work! Definitely one of those ideas that sound good in theory but do not stand up in the real world.

Unfortunately I do not have a working alternative. Therefore I will not decry our current system. I was
taught, if you don't have a solution to the problem, keep quiet.

As to the DVLA issue:

The DVLA rely on Regulation 27(1)(e) of the Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2002:

The Secretary of State may make any particulars contained in the register available for use—
by any person who can show to the satisfaction of the Secretary of State that he has reasonable cause for wanting the particulars to be made available to him.

The DVLA will, therefore, release data to any PPC who is a member of an Approved Trade Association (ATA), of which there are currently two, the BPA and the IPC.

It is assumed that, by virtue of holding current membership, they abide by the relevant Code of Practice, and are therefore deemed to have 'reasonable cause' to request keeper data.

With over 5 million requests being made each year, at £2.50 a time, this represents a significant income stream for the DVLA, who have a dedicated Data Sharing department, with the top bods being paid bonuses based on the volume of data sold.

The ICO are fully aware of all this, and see nothing wrong with it.

AS the author said "Trying to bring either of these organisations to account, is like nailing jelly to a wall"

Enough said!
1967 109SW 2.3 Diesel (ex 2.6 Petrol) on rebuild

gatekrash

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 1943
  • .:
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2020, 11:04:29 AM »

The mockery of the Plymouth local tip is similar.

I can't take my Defender in without a permit - it's a van, with hard top sides with no windows, but has seats in the back.

My early 90 has a windowed hard top with forward facing removable seats in the back. That's ok, it's not a van. Unless I remove the seats when apparently according to the jobsworth it suddenly became a van because the seats weren't in it. So last time it went stacked to the roof and I told him that if he wanted to look at the seats which were underneath all the green waste I would happily empty the contents over the road at the entrance so he could examine them, but there was no way I was going to load it all back in again to take it the 50 yards to the skip. Cue much moaning and a similar "just this time" comment, plus a load of laughing from the other employees at the site who informed me that this particular guy was a bit of a   >:( anyway.

However I can happily strip all the seats out of the Mrs' skoda yeti which turns it into a big van (with windows) and never get a single comment !

I love taking the series in with the soft top off and looking at the confusion it causes. "It's a pickup". No it isn't, else it'd have a cab. "It's a van". Nope, no sides, and you prove that it hasn't got side windows.

It's a mad world  :wooly-jumper :wooly-jumper

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2020, 11:22:04 AM »

....... and then they wonder why people fly tip  :thud

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2020, 12:13:14 PM »

What do you expect? It's England!!!
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2020, 03:57:21 PM »

My 1975 Series 3 has a 1963 3 number 3 letter registration number on black and silver plates. The number was from a 1963 Tornado Talisman. The Land Rover is registered at the local tip in Hampshire but I don't have enough rubbish yet to justify the 8 mile round trip. It will be interesting when I do take it there. It's a hardtop without side windows.
I've heard that ANPR cameras can't always recognize black and silver proper number plates. I have the council registration number authority in the Land Rover.
A new word learnt at the pub this lunchtime. SCAMDEMIC.! How appropriate. I wish I'd thought of it.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2020, 07:17:01 PM »

Hi,

So if we rolled up to the tip in a hearse full of rubbish ...

Or how about a Yanky Jeep Wagoneerr Anybody got a piccy.

An S2 is not a commercial vehicle ... we are not allowed to use them commercially ... it would almost be worth getting booked for such commercial use, so we'd have a ticket to wave in Jobsworth''s face

Ombudsman?  I pay my Council Tax!

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2020, 07:38:44 PM »

As we have posted a thousand times - it matters not what the legal DVLA status of your vehicle is - when you roll up it's down to the man on the gate  :shakeinghead

If you want to take it up with council and take them to court over their "definitions" then good luck ...

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 19 queries.