S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Lightweight" spare wheel mounting  (Read 3757 times)

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
Re: "Lightweight" spare wheel mounting
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 08:01:47 AM »

Nonsense. I have G90s with Wolf rims on the ambulance, the spare is on the bonnet. Like normal.

:tiphat
Well, I wouldn't want to put my head under the bonnet carrying  that weight on it so I'll be leaving the spare attached to the bulkhead in the back. I've got a longer retaining threaded rod so the wheel dish is against the bulkhead and it provides useful storage space for the dog leads and towrope and I can reach them from the driver's seat.
Anyway, if I want more access to the engine bay, I can unclip the bonnet stay and use an old floor mop handle to hold the bonnet higher. I couldn't do that with any spare wheel there.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2020, 11:17:22 AM »

Horses for courses but lets just stop the nonsense that a spare on the bonnet is "too heavy to lift" or that the bonnet strut cannot take the weight.  Landrover built hundreds of thousand of Series vehicle with exactly this arrangement and they were operated like that for decades. Its an iconic part of "the look" - and in the days when people actually worked these vehicles it was a very effective way of making best use of space.

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2020, 11:30:32 AM »

Quite so ...

They even made dished bonnets to help hold the wheel for some models  :cheers
Who's a then ?

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2020, 01:20:32 PM »

I've got a copy of the advertising poster for the Series 1 where the spare is behind the driver and the iconic Dinky Series 1 model (I've got 9, 1 mint boxed) has the spare behind the driver. Was it the military that first put the spare on the bonnet? It certainly limits front corner visibility.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2020, 02:30:59 PM »

I bet they look lovely. Are they on the mantlepiece or did you have a special glass display case made ?

samuria

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4477
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2020, 02:35:31 PM »

I've got a copy of the advertising poster for the Series 1 where the spare is behind the driver and the iconic Dinky Series 1 model (I've got 9, 1 mint boxed) has the spare behind the driver. Was it the military that first put the spare on the bonnet? It certainly limits front corner visibility.
can you lift them safely..... :tiphat

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2020, 04:10:07 PM »

I bet they look lovely. Are they on the mantlepiece or did you have a special glass display case made ?
No, the cardboard advert replica is on the bookshelf with the Land Rover and MGB  manuals and the unboxed Dinky Land Rovers are on the bottom part of an old radiogram where I keep my laser discs  and the boxed one is buried amongst a load of other model Land Rovers and Dinky Toys. I've also got 9 matching Dinky Land Rover trailers, 5 are boxed and one of those is a rare red version with black wheels. I can't find the rare red Dinky Land Rover though.
And yes, I can lift them, samuria. I can easily carry a Wolf wheel with G90 under one arm but I wouldn't want it hanging over my head. I can load the wheel in the back by rolling it up over the slider plate.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.