S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Best engine to replace 2.25 Perkins diesel in a 1965 109 12 seater to give econ  (Read 6632 times)

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
    • Land Rover Classic Campers

I think the Daihatsu F50 (TAFT) used a 2.5 Diesel, and I don't think it had anything to do with Perkins   ???

If he has actually got a Perkins Prima TD it will be 2.0l, and probably one of the most fuel efficient 'Wrong Engine Transplants' available in a Series LR.

Patrick's daily drive SWB has a Perkins TD (without intercooler) - it will go off the clock if you want it to (with overdrive), and returns up to 40mpg without really trying.
Probably more suited to a SWB though, unless an intercooler is fitted.

Here's one of my previous vehicles, with a Perkins Prima TDi, towing a bit of weight   :tiphat

LRCC: Land Rover Classic Campers - 1967 Carawagon, 200TDi, completed & in use - 1972 109"quot SW Carawagon, 2.5NA, completed & in use - 1958 Carawagon project. - 1971 Carawagon project. - ! - 1974 Dormobile project.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:

Hi,

As commented by (I think) 109 +1, but rephrasing, DO YOU NEED ECONOMY?

Your bottom line works out at something like (Cost of the Conversion  + Overheads + Cost of Fuel) divided by the Expected Life Span.

I don't know how to factor in FUN ... but hey, your talking diesel, so obviously not interested in such mundane matters.

I've already mentioned a desire for a Honda VTEC engine ... Barbara's Honda CRX had the pre-VTEC engine, which I treated without mercy ... wind up to 7000 through the gears ... thats 40+/70/100, but I never found out what it would do in 4th, nor 5th (It did indicate 130 on the M4, but only once, and that was it 5th, so doesn't count). It never dropped below 40mpg.  Barbara was stopped twicee on the M4, at well over 100mph ... told not to do it again.  I assume the VTEC can beat that, seeing as I think it comes with a 2000cc engine.

Do a Google for the fuel consumption of a Honda CRV, and if it looks good, go and have a test drive.  :whistle  OK, I'm being silly. The price of a Honda engine would wipe out any savings in fuel cost.

But I can dream.

PS ... My understanding is that the VTEC engines have variable cam timing. There's posh!

PPS ... Does anybody have figures for an S2 fitted with a Ford V6? OK, it's petrol ... but diesel is becoming a dirty word. There are towns that won't let diesels in.  V4? Has anyone ever fitted one? I didn't notice my Tranny V4 looking for more power, even when towing my caravan, maybe because I didn't ask for it. My V6 Tranny LWB "Hay Wain" was a stormer.

Herald1360

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5979
  • .:

There's a Perkins 4.108 at 1769cc, that would be suitably gutless!

The 2.2 BMC diesel would be closer in capacity and was quite popular back in the day though the 2.5 was slightly more interesting.

Sunny Jim

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 16
  • .:
  • I was born in Lode Lane so it's no wonder!

Sounds like the reconditioned 200TDi in my basement would be ideal for you!

Let me know if you are interested,

Sunny Jim
Series 2 Club Member 16

Adrian

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 7072
  • .:

thanks for your replies- question- reading the historic car special exemptions, it says replacing an engine that was similar to on that might have been put in within 10yrs of being built- does that mean I could put another diesel, indeed a 6 cylinder one, as they were introduced in?1967, but could I put in a more modern one- such as the CR-V mentioned above??? and keep my hisptic stuff, have a cleaner environmentally please engine- and get loads of pulling power?

Noddy

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 3118
  • .:

What was the original engine 2.25 petrol or a 6 pot? More space in the engine bay if it was a 6 and the bigger front brakes.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:

thanks for your replies- question- reading the historic car special exemptions, it says replacing an engine that was similar to on that might have been put in within 10yrs of being built- does that mean I could put another diesel, indeed a 6 cylinder one, as they were introduced in?1967, but could I put in a more modern one- such as the CR-V mentioned above??? and keep my hisptic stuff, have a cleaner environmentally please engine- and get loads of pulling power?

The Club flow chart on the subject indicates that the modern Japanese engine would be stretching thigs a bit far but that "period" conversions like a Perkins or developments of LR engines like the 200 Tdi would be within the spirit of the DVLA Guidance. "conversions of a type...."   Click on the picture to expand it...
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

TimV

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5393

Don't 'modern' engines have very high tickover speeds (950 opposed to 450-500rpm), this could affect the slowest speed the car can achieve?
Tim

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:

The Honda engine conversion mentioned above is a non-starter (sic).

It won't bolt straight onto the Land Rover gearbox/transmission. A lot of fabricating and messing around would be needed.
I've not heard of anyone doing this - and if it had happened it clearly hasn't caught on  :shakeinghead

For your purposes the 200/300Tdi route seems the best option, maybe with an LT77 gearbox (5-speed).

The LWB 12 seat station wagon is a hefty old lump, more so when loaded up.
You need plenty of horse power.

:horse :horse :horse :horse

:RHD

Who's a then ?

Herald1360

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5979
  • .:

For your purposes the 200/300Tdi route seems the best option, maybe with an LT77 gearbox (5-speed).

The LWB 12 seat station wagon is a hefty old lump, more so when loaded up.
You need plenty of horse power.

Not just maybe to the gearbox unless you're extremely gentle with it!  I found out the hard (expensive) way  :stars

Bradley66

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 5351
  • .:

There's a Perkins 4.108 at 1769cc, that would be suitably gutless!

The 2.2 BMC diesel would be closer in capacity and was quite popular back in the day though the 2.5 was slightly more interesting.

I have a 2.5 BMC Diesel in my 2a 109" . Probably a better engine than the 2 1/4 diesel , certainly seems to have more low down torque . Problem is the lack of spares for the engine . I have actually grown quite attached to it ( I have the original 2 1/4 petrol in the garage ready to fit ) . Certainly has no issues getting to 50mph , and considering we have a blanket 40 mph speed limit over most the New Forest its the ideal engine.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:

IIRC the BMC diesel was/is quite popular in boats - down your way spares might be more common ???

:RHD

bedouin

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 5857
  • .:

My 63 11a has a 12J 2.5 diesel fitted by po what would this engine have come from any ideas ?? :stars woops just checked it's a 14J  :thud

Noddy

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • .:

If it originally had a six pot then the 200/300TDi with a LT77 or R380 married to a series transfer box and a Salisbury rear axle with 3.54 diffs is an option. Gear stick in the original position and hand brake as well. 200TDi with a turbo from a 300TDi is a good fit in a 6 pot chassis. Power steering using a P38 box and defender column with the late series wheel with horn push and Tex Magna indicator keeps the interior looking original. If a later 110 Salisbury axle can be had then a 3.54 diff and parts for disc brakes come with it. Front brakes can be uprated using 6 pot/stage 1 front drum brakes with a servo if not already fitted or go the whole hog with disc brakes all round using Zeus or Hystee front discs and 110 rears.   

Alec

Noddy

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • .:

Around 1998 there were 12J diesel engines brand new bench tested all ancillaries on the market around £2,000. Reputedly Hong Kong Police ordered 110s with this engine then changed to 200TDi leaving the 12Js surplus. Ran one in our Dormy for 10 yrs.

Alec
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 24 queries.