S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Forum's status  (Read 5207 times)

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
New Forum's status
« on: August 04, 2019, 07:04:13 PM »

Things seem to be going well.

In the first 24 hours some 120 users have moved across from the old forum.
Thanks for your messages of support and thanks  :first

I have a (growing) list of things to do, and features you'd like back.

With SMF and this version there are literally thousands of options of hundreds of features behind the scenes that can be twiddled with and set. Plus there a hundreds of mods that can be applied.
e.g.
Someone asked about the info centre showing recent topics as opposed to recent posts.
There is a mod for this that I hve just applied. We can adjust up or down the actual number displayed.

Someone asked about the mouse hover over a topic to show a bit of the posts - I'm sure there's a mod for this, else I'll have topatch some code in somewhere.

I'd quite like to get the small location flags back under your names in the posts.
There maybe a mod for this, but I'm not sure it's been upgraded for this version of SMF ...

... and so on.

:RHD
Who's a then ?

Jonny72

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4370
  • .:
Re: New Forum's status
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 07:30:48 AM »

Hi Alan - great job on upgrading us. Is it possible to turn on the ‘mobile friendly’ format?  It just works better when accessing the forum by smartphone/tablet.

If you’re not sure, you can read more about enabling it here : https://www.smfmobiletheme.com/

John

Jonny72

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 07:42:47 AM »

To continue, here’s a screenshot of the mobile version created by SMF if the Seriously Series forum as well as the mobile versions of the LR Series One Club forum and Land Rover Classic Campers forum.

Note also that LRSOC have expanded the forum replacing their website - something S2C could perhaps follow, to replace our outdated website. Easier to content manage also vis-à-vis members and guests.

Lots of help and expertise available if needed ...

109+1

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 3618
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 03:00:57 PM »

Just moved across myself, can I just express my gratitude for the work done by all to keep the forum going, as a lot of the technology is beyond me, once again THANKS.

XM496

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 4394
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 04:36:04 PM »

I echo those sentiments, thanks Wittsend and your digital elves for devoting so many hours to keeping us online and talking to each other! *

* I'm assuming you have digital elves? Or IT minions?

antiphase

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 09:39:31 PM »

If you need some actual professional input or assistance into managing servers and web services and whatever else you do, I've been getting paid for systems administration for 15 years and using Linux for 20 now.

Enthusiasm for amateur attempts at these things is always to be admired, but it makes me sad to see yet another total loss of the forum, which could easily have been avoided or recovered from. I briefly had a look into mail deliverability problems to Hotmail for you a while back (3 or 4 years maybe?), but the relevant settings I changed to fix it were reverted by someone at some point as well...

Suffice to say, thanks for your hard work, but it need not be so hard or so bumpy.

Jonny72

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 05:02:50 AM »

If you need some actual professional input or assistance into managing servers and web services and whatever else you do, I've been getting paid for systems administration for 15 years and using Linux for 20 now.

Enthusiasm for amateur attempts at these things is always to be admired, but it makes me sad to see yet another total loss of the forum, which could easily have been avoided or recovered from. I briefly had a look into mail deliverability problems to Hotmail for you a while back (3 or 4 years maybe?), but the relevant settings I changed to fix it were reverted by someone at some point as well...

Suffice to say, thanks for your hard work, but it need not be so hard or so bumpy.

This sounds like a very helpful and welcome proposal antiphase.  A shame to lose so much data and knowledge curated over many years.

Do you think we could recover the old forum and perhaps link to it as an archive? 

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 09:53:14 AM »

Hi Alan,

Assuming this mail posts .... my gratitude is such that I would happily clean your boots ... but my tongue has gone dry.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 09:56:32 AM »

Hi Alan,

Hey, that mail got through.

Please disregard my E-mail of a little while ago (assuming that got through).

biloxi

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 05:29:32 AM »

Will the Technical Pictures in the gallery of the old forum be lost, or will they eventually get transferred to this forum ? Thank you.
.W.

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 2241
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2019, 07:41:11 AM »

The gallery of Technical Pictures is still there.
If you cannot see them it may be that you may need to register on the new forum as a Club Member in order to be able to see them.

Regards.

biloxi

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2019, 07:56:33 AM »

I know it's still there, but that doesn't answer my question.
.W.

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 2241
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2019, 09:08:56 AM »

Well pardon me for speaking, but looking at the URL for the gallery, it is not a subset of the forum, but of the club.
As Alan has repeatedly said that technical information is not to be discarded, merely that it is difficult to transfer individual threads from the old to the new forum, I would have thought the question was already answered.

Regards.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2019, 12:44:45 PM »

Well, it's been nearly a month since we had to move here.

Things are starting to settle down and the forum is stable.
I think most, if not all the regular and active users have transferred over to here - we have 750 ish registered now. A good proportion of them are S2C members as well.

Regarding the Coppermine Photo hosting gallery.
As noted ^^^ it is a separate internet entity and we only have a "hot" menu linked tab pointing to it.
In recent months I turned off the registration process to keep the Russian hackers out.
BUT
If anyone here wants an account - email me and I'll set the account up.
NOTE:  :-\
This is a FREE photo hosting service but I can't guarantee the safety of your images.
Please back them up and keep your back-up safe.

I will start work on the main forum template to include the Photo Gallery tab.
All your old/existing images are still there.

The other concern/suggestion is to do with the posting of images and resizing.
It's a problem we've always had and whilst we may be able to resize the attached images I'm not sure what can be done with images posted in the {IMG} tags.
Image size starts at the camera operator end.

Moving on:

We a volunteer(s) going through the more important topics and posts on the old (now grey) forum - and posting them back on here.

To be honest the best thing about this forum is that you can post a question and pretty soon you'll get an answer (or 2)...
This is probably better than searching for something.
As the years roll by, and although Land Rover parts don't change -where you might best get parts and how to fit them and the best tools for the job - best advice changes all the time.
Post your questions here and we'll soon be better than the old forum. In time the old forum will be forgotten.

:RHD

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2019, 08:53:47 PM »

We a volunteer(s) going through the more important topics and posts on the old (now grey) forum - and posting them back on here.

Count me in as a volunteer. Various of the threads which took more effort to create have now moved over but there are more, mainly relating to history or workshop wisdom. It would be useful to have some comment on the preferred approach though before starting.

One thing I have always found useful in those threads designed to gradually collate data is to have an attachment linked to the first post and then as the thread builds to update the attachment but leave the posts intact as the source. The Series 2 Timeline is the best example. I intend to do something similar with the Original Finishes thread, but don't know how to handle the document having done so. Is this a good approach?

Alec
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 24 queries.