S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Ms Steering leather wheel covers  (Read 3718 times)

martinthefirst

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4519
  • .:
Ms Steering leather wheel covers
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2020, 01:39:04 PM »

These are the people I have used, £18.50, very happy with it:
auction: #153549398636
Land Rover Series IIA 1964, 3.9 V8, Designa chassis
Morris Minor Convertible 1961

Simon1959

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6929
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2020, 02:22:17 PM »

That’s who I was planning to purchase from. My only hesitancy being the description - Series 1 to 1948. The wheel appears to be the same as my 1959. Is there a difference? Mine is 17” diameter

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2020, 02:26:50 PM »

^^^yes the pictures and words don't seem to match :stars
I've just sent them a measurement and picture of my wheel and I'll see what they say...

Bradfordseries2

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1047
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2020, 03:19:22 PM »

I bought one of the leather covers from Mr Steering recently. I was wary as there wasn’t an actual picture of the product, but it looks like the Land Rover series sized cover fits any 17” steering wheel. You stitch it in yourself and make it fit round the spokes as you go, so as long as the steering wheel is from a Land Rover series it will fit.
Member 1047

1960 88" petrol hard top - undergoing restoration
1969 88" diesel Station Wagon- restoration required
1971 88" petrol hard top - retirement project!

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2020, 05:49:44 PM »

I got a repy about my wheel that I said I was unsure where it came from and they ask for these measurements so it should fit :cheers

Hi there

Thank you.
We can make one for you it is not a problem.
Please could you send us your steering wheel measurements (external circumference & circuit of the grip) according to the enclosed picture and we will make one that will fit:

We will need to have at least:
1. External circumference of the wheel
2. Thickness of a grip (ext circumference or diameter)

After we receive all the measurements we will give you a price as it depends on the length of leather used in production

Take care and stay safe

Regards
Ms Steering Ltd

Simon1959

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6929
  • .:
Re: Mrsteering leather wheel covers
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2020, 06:19:55 PM »

I too contacted them, this is their response to my question about an S2 wheel - I have since bought a kit and I look forward to a lock down evening spent with a crochet needle! Where did it all go wrong?

Hi

Yes, the size is correct.
We have more than 1.5m active listings, so our photos are exemplary only, just to show how the cover looks like when fitted.
Hope this helps

Take care, stay safe

Calum

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 6930
  • .:
    • C Barrow Engineering Ltd
Re: Ms Steering leather wheel covers
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2020, 01:58:14 PM »

Going off at a tangent slightly, am I the only person who really doesn't like the feel of steering wheel covers? ??? I actually really like a wheel with a nice thin rim, and have removed covers in the past because of this! Likewise Mountney and similar wheels are horrible to drive with in my opinion!

:RHD

Formerlyjeremy

• Swivel King
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2020, 02:39:36 PM »

But the problem with Land Rover wheels is that once the initial paint on the rim has worn away the thing seems to exude grease and dirt when its damp.  The leather (or pink fluffy) cover seems a small price to pay for clean hands and a pleasant surface to grip.

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 2241
  • .:
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2020, 02:59:16 PM »

Going off at a tangent slightly, am I the only person who really doesn't like the feel of steering wheel covers? I actually really like a wheel with a nice thin rim, ...

You may not be the only person 'really likes a wheel with a nice thin rim', but if not unique, I think it puts you into a niche market :-)

For myself, following a recommendation in this forum I have bought and fitted a Cosmos Orbit wheel cover, Item Code 98803. It is not stitched on, but is such a tight fit I was unable to install it until I had the idea of using a set of tyre levers intended for fitting bicycle tyres. This enabled the last few inches of the cover to be eased over the rim.

Unfortunately I have not driven the vehicle since the installation, but the high friction surface and 'bulk' feels nice in my hands :-)

Regards.

Calum

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 6930
  • .:
    • C Barrow Engineering Ltd
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2020, 03:00:28 PM »

But the problem with Land Rover wheels is that once the initial paint on the rim has worn away the thing seems to exude grease and dirt when its damp.  The leather (or pink fluffy) cover seems a small price to pay for clean hands and a pleasant surface to grip.
Thankfully my 2a hasn't suffered this fate and is still lovely and glossy. The series 3 wheel as Wittsend seems to have fitted is a plastic affair and doesn't suffer like the earlier wheels do, I have one of these on my 88" and it's great.

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2020, 03:01:31 PM »

I was shocked to read this having just been looking at the pink fluffy type (but think I will go for a black one) to cover the leather one ordered and protect it from the disklok :RHD

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2020, 04:07:37 PM »

The leather covers we've been reviewing here - don't really add substantial girth to the rim - you can get an idea from the pictures ^^^. The covers grip the wheel really tightly - you could/can always glue, then stitch the cover on.
The standard wheel with leather cover is much thinner than many of the after market Monterey type wheels.

I once fitted an after market woodern type wheel as seen on bespoke sports cars, still at 17" diameter.
I primed and painted the wheel black and it looked good. Sadly sold the vehicle on (didn't remove the wheel).
Don't have any pictures.

With your sticky, gooey wheels - remove and bring inside to "dry out" prime and seal with an epoxy paint.
Then spray on a red undercoat. Then a black top coat. There's no way then the plastic can react with the damp.
The reason for the red undercoat is that as soon as there's wear on the wheel you'll spot it and can touch up.

The problem with this approach is that you need the wheel off the vehicle for some time for all the paint to cure and dry.
You'll need a donor wheel to be able to keep driving.

.... else it's back to the Alan Partridge driving gloves  :thud

:RHD
Who's a then ?

Bradfordseries2

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1047
  • .:
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2020, 05:37:54 PM »

This is the cover on my wheel. As said, not much extra thickness, it’s not particularly noticeable. But should stop the grubby hands. Even though I have painted the rim anyway under the cover...

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2020, 05:54:06 PM »

This is the cover on my wheel. As said, not much extra thickness, it’s not particularly noticeable. But should stop the grubby hands. Even though I have painted the rim anyway under the cover...

Great Work :o :o :o

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2020, 07:41:37 PM »

Nice job on the crinkle finish too!

Alec
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 17 queries.