S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Paddocks  (Read 3630 times)

OilyRover

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7899
  • .:
Paddocks
« on: September 13, 2019, 10:28:29 AM »

They sent me a second hand master cylinder in an oily open box,not sealed in a bag,it looks to have been prised apart and hammered back together by its previous owner.

It seems likely it was returned to Paddocks because it wasn't working,butPaddocks thought it was still good enough to include in my £100+ order of brake parts.

They've replaced it with a new one,but only under duress.

Moogling

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6646
  • .:
Paddocks
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 10:32:29 AM »

Wow!  Shocking!  :agh

Clearly damaged outside of the factory and they sent it out still. 

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
Paddocks
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 10:35:49 AM »

I wonder if they inspect every item that comes back on returns or simply put them back on the shelf?

Many years ago I had a part time job in a DIY shop and the girls on the desk would do refunds on returned items and leave it up to us to restock the items to the shelves. I got quite good at spotting returned tins of paint that were filled up with water and even had a big tub of tile adhesive returned with brick rubble in it....

Craig.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
Paddocks
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 10:59:51 AM »

It works both ways...

I would imagine that a large mail order business wouldn't inspect all returns and/or - it could have been a genuine mistake in the "picking".

I'm not condoning it - BUT they have replaced the item - by law they had no choice  :first

There is a growing trend that if a mail order/internet purchase is wrong - they tell you to keep the item or throw it away if faulty and then they send a replacement.
Seems cheaper and easier for them to do that.
THEN
They wouldn't be stuck with faulty parts that could be sent out again.

Piece of consumer advice:
 :-\
1) Be very wary and don't accept any item where the packaging has been "tampered" with - especially food items - check all seals and tabs are in place and intact.
2) If in a shop/supermarket never pick any item that is not in its correct place on the shelving - even if it is the last one in the shop and you are desperate for it.

I've been a very satisfied Paddocks customer for years.
Not had a problem - touch wood
... on sending me a 2nd s/s exhaust system which I hadn't ordered, told me to keep it!

I won't be changing my purchasing habits because of this topic.

:cheers

Who's a then ?

Smokey 11a

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6784
  • .:
Paddocks
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 11:14:43 AM »

Had a few faulty bits from paddocks over the last 14 years of dealing with them. Always changed and never a problem, I've never had to send anything back unlike other suppliers.

OilyRover

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7899
  • .:
Paddocks
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 02:34:25 PM »

Maybe I've been a bit harsh,but I can't see how this could have been put back into play after being returned like this.
I've used Paddocks for most of my orders for about 15 years now,but I've not come across anything like this before.

Feel free to delete the thread if you feel I've overstepped the mark. :tiphat

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
Paddocks
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 02:50:12 PM »

Harsh - unfair ... I don't know.

It's possible that this is a "one off" - new person in the warehouse ??? but somewhere along the line  their QC failed.

The topic stays as it's a timely reminder for folks to check the packaging and also to be sure that you are ordering the correct parts for your vehicle - more so if a revious Owner has been messing around.
If you are not sure speak to someone on the phone - they are usually quite knowledgeable.

:RHD

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
Paddocks
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 03:40:21 PM »

Likewise, I've had very good service and stuff from paddocks, and never had cause to be less than satisfied, however it's well worth us being aware of this kind of thing, and to double check all items that turn up, particularly in a multiple item order.
Clearly it's a damaged return item that's found it's way back into stock I'd think

GlenAnderson

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 1135
  • .:
Paddocks
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 04:02:59 PM »

Maybe I've been a bit harsh,but I can't see how this could have been put back into play after being returned like this.
I've used Paddocks for most of my orders for about 15 years now,but I've not come across anything like this before.

Feel free to delete the thread if you feel I've overstepped the mark. :tiphat

Returned on a Friday?

As others have said, service from Paddocks is generally good, although I have been using them for over 25 years and their service has fluctuated quality-wise. Always worth thoroughly checking any delivery the day it arrives, particularly if the packaging is damaged. Nothing worse than opening something that's been in stock for months, only to find it damaged or the wrong bit.
It’s not air, it’s adjustment.

maindy

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6599
  • .:
Paddocks
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 05:34:19 PM »

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ That looks like the one of two i recently sent back as they were the wrong ones, they sent me lwb cv type instead of swb, as it was the first time iv used that type i did not know they were wrong, as they were too long i thought i would prize the cap off and replace the push rod with a smaller one but then found out they had sent me the wrong ones any way so after a bit of arguing they went back and the correct ones sent out.
They originally said they did not want the old ones back but then i had a call to return them so it looks as if you have ended up with one sorry  :-[ any way i should not be saying sorry as they did know that i had tried to fit them so its them that should be a apologizing.
phil.

TJRL

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3529
  • .:
Paddocks
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 05:45:26 PM »

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ That looks like the one of two i recently sent back as they were the wrong ones, they sent me lwb cv type instead of swb, as it was the first time iv used that type i did not know they were wrong, as they were too long i thought i would prize the cap off and replace the push rod with a smaller one but then found out they had sent me the wrong ones any way so after a bit of arguing they went back and the correct ones sent out.
They originally said they did not want the old ones back but then i had a call to return them so it looks as if you have ended up with one sorry  :-[ any way i should not be saying sorry as they did know that i had tried to fit them so its them that should be a apologizing.
phil.

Good man, confessing telling us the full story behind this.
Really helpful to have all the facts and sounds like Paddocks got a bit confused but did the right thing in the end for both customers.  :-*
1960 SWB SW (11k since rebuild)
2010 Range Rover L322 (336k!)
2020 BMW R1250RT
2021 Triton ST-125 ("Monkey" Bike)

MrTDiy

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 1991
  • .:
Paddocks
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2019, 08:29:05 PM »

I got a second hand part from them once...a hacked about X-eng pedal lock system that must have been cut off and sent back to them which was just sent out to me. But they sent a new one to me once I complained.and explained....annoying and took up my time but ended up ok in the end.

Still use them

Scumduggler

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 3969
  • .:
Paddocks
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2019, 08:26:47 AM »

Loads of people grumble about 'Britpart' products, but you never hear of a complaint when the order is wrong in your favour! I've had many orders where things have been doubled up, or ordered 3 of a small item and got a pack of 10. Or ,as said above,  been told to keep the wrong part while they send a replacement.
How many old landies  wouldn't be on the road today if it wasn't for the availability of budget priced spares?
I'm not wrong, it's just a different point of view.

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
    • Land Rover Classic Campers
Paddocks
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2019, 09:20:39 AM »

These things happen - it's how the company deals with it afterwards that is important, in my opinion.

Don't forget, the staff receiving returns and picking orders possibly have no knowledge/experience of vehicle parts - they are probably minimum wage warehouse staff, so possibly just trust the returner and put them back on the shelf   ???

Yes, it would be nice to think they had someone experienced to check over every return and parts going out, but I suspect that would add to the overall cost of the parts.
Cheaper to have very occasional mistakes, and deal with them at the time, I suspect.
LRCC: Land Rover Classic Campers - 1967 Carawagon, 200TDi, completed & in use - 1972 109"quot SW Carawagon, 2.5NA, completed & in use - 1958 Carawagon project. - 1971 Carawagon project. - ! - 1974 Dormobile project.

Smokey 11a

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6784
  • .:
Paddocks
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2019, 09:38:22 AM »

Three things DON'T,  take things apart, once you do 99.9% of the time it's yours. Call and find out if it's the correct part, Three make the box as faulty parts.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 19 queries.