S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How many series 2  (Read 2573 times)

philgibbs

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 6588
  • .:
How many series 2
« on: September 17, 2019, 09:45:37 AM »

Hi, is there anyway of finding out how many cars are left of a particular model ?.
Mine is an original 1960 swb Station wagon, I have been to lots of shows and only seen a couple, but these had been modified with side windows.

So I wonder how many 1960 swb Station wagons are out there .

Steamdriven

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4387
  • .:
Re: How many series 2
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 10:09:51 AM »

As far as I am aware all station wagons ie 7, 10 and 12 seaters were fitted with side windows.

Gordon A

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 10:31:40 AM »

The answer is we don't know ...

DVLA have data on vehicles that are "taxed" and those on SORN

The problem is that the DVLA database uses the vehicle description as written on the V5C.
For modern vehicles made after 1980 with the VIN system in place, there's no problem.

For older - Series 2/2As there is.
It all depends how the clerk in the local authority licensing office entered the vehicle on the log book. Could have been Land Rover, Landrover, Rover, etc. Later the DVLC centralised and computerised the records.
Quite a lot of transcription errors were made - as owners find out years later.
And so, to get an accurate number is impossible - at best you'll get an educated guesstimate.

It is said that 70% of all Land Rovers are still on the road - the rest made it home !  :tiphat

However - I found this website which you might find interesting How many left ?

:RHD
Who's a then ?

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
    • Land Rover Classic Campers
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 10:45:20 AM »

As far as I am aware all station wagons ie 7, 10 and 12 seaters were fitted with side windows.

Gordon A

The SWB SW sold by Searle, called the Super Estate Wagon was 7 seater with no side windows.

That may have been a special order from Land Rover, but that's how it's shown in their brochures.

LRCC: Land Rover Classic Campers - 1967 Carawagon, 200TDi, completed & in use - 1972 109"quot SW Carawagon, 2.5NA, completed & in use - 1958 Carawagon project. - 1971 Carawagon project. - ! - 1974 Dormobile project.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 11:04:07 AM »

Plenty of "ordinary" Land Rover were "converted" by Previous Owners into "Station Wagon" spec.

Real, factory station wagons have a few signs that they are SW. The window fittings and fitting are one clue.
Another is the absence of tail gate hinges on the rear cross member - but canny converters may have been out with the  :grinder
The interior light should be fitted and wired up.
There may be other clues....

AFAIK
The factory records - the build card describes the Land Rover as either Utility or Station Wagon.
Utilities could have any one of a number "tops".

:RHD

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 12:29:53 PM »

The SWB SW sold by Searle, called the Super Estate Wagon was 7 seater with no side windows.

That may have been a special order from Land Rover, but that's how it's shown in their brochures.

I think you could order a SWB hard top but specify the tropical roof and the deluxe trim. This would get you pretty much a station wagon without the side windows. Not sure if they classed it as a special order, did they make stock vehicles or were they all made to order at that time?

I'd love to know how many ten seat station wagons are left in the UK. Apart from mine I only know of one in the Dunsfold collection.

Craig.

philgibbs

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 6588
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 02:41:53 PM »

Thanks for the info, I do know mine was supplied fully trimmed out inside,I have still got it all but beyond saving,  still very much work in progress, desperately trying to find good front wings, I have just finished fitting the new harness, and just couldn’t resist starting her up, sounds so sweet but only for a few seconds as I have not got rad on yet. The plan is to get body finished before winter, then start on inside next year, as you can see it’s outside.

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 09:18:57 PM »

I'd love to know how many ten seat station wagons are left in the UK. Apart from mine I only know of one in the Dunsfold collection.

Craig.

There will be more than you think.

Here's mine, SIIA no6.
"If you want to be happy, be" -  Leo Tolstoy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 19 queries.