S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: added height question...  (Read 1945 times)

limestone69

• Chassis welder
  • .:
added height question...
« on: September 21, 2019, 12:43:01 AM »

I'm going to be doing some siding work on the building that shelters my 88.
currently, i have about 2" of clearance through the door frame, and I'm considering raising the header before finishing the outside.

One of my eventual wishlist items is a Brownchurch rack. Can anyone tell me how much height that will add?
anyone add a roof tent to their rack?

I only want to re-do this door frame once... :bright-idea

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
Re: added height question...
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 03:17:30 AM »

Interesting that you brought this up...  I got the tub on Grover yesterday; it sits taller now due to the parabolics - a LOT taller.

I measured the side walls and the trop top, added it to the height of the tub, and guess what...  If the parabolics don't relax a bit under the wait of all of those it won't fit in the garage - it's too tall by about 6"!!!! The garage was built in the '40s and the garage door opening is 7'.

I want a Brownchurch as well, but I think that adds about 8" to the total height, or maybe 10".
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 04:28:22 AM »

Hi Correus,

Have you remembered NOT to tighten the spring eye/shackle bolts until all "avoirdupois" is in place, and you've driven your project down a bumpy lane?

6" lift? I'm surprised that your shock absorbers fitted. There is something in my mind about wondering if I would need a 40/50 gallon oil drum, and a garden hose to lower the rear end sufficiently to facilitate fitting the shox, and attach the check-straps. Use the same hose to syphon the water out.

In the event, I used my Farm jack under the garage rafters (pitched and tiled roof) to lower the chassis, and also fitted the unwanted check straps before releasing the springs.

Then there is the matter of the gaiter on the rear prop-shaft hitting the chassis cross member through which it passes (the one behind the gearbox). My last S1 project (with S3 88" chassis), sitting on new parabolics, took all of 100 yards to destroy the rear prop gaiter ... and made a hell of a noise while doing so.

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 04:11:14 PM »

Hi Correus,

Have you remembered NOT to tighten the spring eye/shackle bolts until all "avoirdupois" is in place, and you've driven your project down a bumpy lane?

6" lift? I'm surprised that your shock absorbers fitted. There is something in my mind about wondering if I would need a 40/50 gallon oil drum, and a garden hose to lower the rear end sufficiently to facilitate fitting the shox, and attach the check-straps. Use the same hose to syphon the water out.

In the event, I used my Farm jack under the garage rafters (pitched and tiled roof) to lower the chassis, and also fitted the unwanted check straps before releasing the springs.

Then there is the matter of the gaiter on the rear prop-shaft hitting the chassis cross member through which it passes (the one behind the gearbox). My last S1 project (with S3 88" chassis), sitting on new parabolics, took all of 100 yards to destroy the rear prop gaiter ... and made a hell of a noise while doing so.

Question 1 = yes, I know that and no they are not.

Question 2 = parabolics only add 2" - 3" lift and I was told they would settle down a bit after adding weight and driving.  The extra height must be coming from the brand new BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 LT235/85R16 tires.  The treads on the old tires are threadbare to the point of nonexistent, the new tires' treads are thick.

Shocks went on easily; they came with straps that allowed them to be slowly released, and then stopped, when they extend to the upper attachment point for ease of installing.

Have not attached straps yet, but they are measured and ready.  I had about 800 pounds on the chassis the Friday before last and took the measurement then.  Decided not to attach them until later.

I could probably use your farm jack trick easier if it were at my home shop, the shop I'm using to work on Grover has a 25' tall pitched roof.

When I was driving Grover, before adding parabolics and the new tires, there was only a 1.5" clearance between the top of the sunshield and the opening door of the garage.

Why did you put a gaiter on the rear propshaft?  Based on the parts book and GB it looks like only the front one gets a gaiter.

fxm

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 6558
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 08:47:11 PM »

I have a 2a with what looks like a Brownchurch roofrack. The height of the vehicle is 2.2 metres.
'#03962 SIIa 88 Searle Safari

limestone69

• Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 02:53:06 AM »

Thanks, it's a start!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 26 queries.