S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Take care what you talk about.  (Read 3829 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: Take care what you talk about.
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2021, 11:06:22 PM »

Hi Correos,

Do you get to watch SHARPE on US television? If not, Sharpe was a sergeant who saved Wellington by a trickle bit of shooting with a muzzle loader.

Wellington promptly commissioned him in the field, commenting "i'm not doing you any favours!"

If you don't get it on TV, ask Google to find you SHARPE FIRST EPISODE VIDEO ... or words of that effect.

We have an African family living across the road, and I got chatting to the wife,

on her doorstep, one after- noon  ... very frank, and no holds barred. (We're still friends  :cheers). It made me Google the first episode of LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR. Whatever, she's a lovely lady ... and Wilkie likes her too.

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2021, 12:10:15 AM »

Hi Correos,

Do you get to watch SHARPE on US television? If not, Sharpe was a sergeant who saved Wellington by a trickle bit of shooting with a muzzle loader.

Wellington promptly commissioned him in the field, commenting "i'm not doing you any favours!"

If you don't get it on TV, ask Google to find you SHARPE FIRST EPISODE VIDEO ... or words of that effect.

We have an African family living across the road, and I got chatting to the wife,

on her doorstep, one after- noon  ... very frank, and no holds barred. (We're still friends  :cheers). It made me Google the first episode of LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR. Whatever, she's a lovely lady ... and Wilkie likes her too.

Very familiar with Sharpe.  Bernard Cornwell and I have passed letters and emails for the past several years.  Chomping at the bit for his latest Sharpe novel - should be out by Fall.  I'm such a fan that part of my Christmas rituals is the reading of 'Sharpe's Enemy', 'Sharpe's Christmas' and recreating the Christmas meal in 'Enemy'.

A couple or so Nock volley guns have come up for sale here in the States.  This one sold not too long ago.  https://www.ima-usa.com/products/original-british-royal-navy-nock-volley-gun-circa-1785?variant=26172750213

'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2021, 10:25:55 PM »

Hi,

Our first COs inspection of our RAF SAM site at RAAF Butterworth was by the Ozzy CO (accompainied by Hank, our UK CO who I mentioned before). He commented of some inhibiting grease of your office floor. My sergeant explained that we were still building up, and had to store vehicle parts in the office. They were usually covered in inhibiting grease.

The following month, it was Hank's turn to inspect. He commented on the spotless office floor. Sarge explained that it had only been ordinary grease, and cleaned off quite easily.

"I hope you are not trying to make a c*** out of me, Sergeant Clout!"

"I wouldn't dream of trying to make c*** out of you, Sir!"

"That's all right, then!"

RAF Sharjah (Dubai)  A long story, but it ended in the middle of the night, in a forty bed billet. One of the boys came dashing into the billet, kicked off his flip-flops , dropped his shorts and jumped into bed, Seconds later, somebody else barged into the billet, knocked a chair over, which woke Fagin, the billet dog. Fagin did not like strangers at the best of times.

We were all woken by the kerfuffle.

Who's that?"

"I'm your Commanding Officer"

"Are you ****!"

Torches were lit, to reveal the CO, stark naked, using his towel to fight off the dog. A wonderful sight.

The perp, who had been challenged while climbing in through the CO's window, got 7 days in a cell... but they let him out after two days ... cells were air conditioned, while we had to work in high temperature and humidity.

The same CO was doing cookhouse duty ... wandering round the tables, asking if anyone had any complaints. He noticed something in breadcrumbs on somebody's discarded plate.

"What's wrong with that, Airman?"

" I thought it was fish, Sir!" (it was actually pork)

"Get me a knife and fork!"

Cutlery was brought, and CO tasted the offending morsel.

"There's nothing wrong with that. You shouldn't waste good food! The CO departed.

"B******! He ate my dog's dinner!"

It rained two days a year, at Dubai, but biblical proportions. For some reason, those in charge of such things sent us a huge Scammell 6x6 truck (not the usual recovery Scammell). If got stuck in a "puddle" on the way back from Dubai. It finished up being towed by a Scammel Explorer, which was being towed by an AEC Matador aircraft recovery tractor, only all three were stuck in the knee deep water.

Our new, young, CO came along to watch. One did not expect an officer to tell the driver of the big truck ... "You do realise Corporal ****, this might mean 75 years on bread and water? " ... while simultaneously hitching up one leg of his shorts, and taking a leak in the said knee deep water.

Happy daze!

We had a young rookie MT Officer arrive at RAF Faldingworth. He promptly called a meeting, and among other things, told us we could use the workshops to work on our own cars, outside working hours. It cost him nothing, but it immediately got everybody on his side. I hope he went far.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2021, 11:52:14 PM »

The same CO was doing cookhouse duty ... wandering round the tables, asking if anyone had any complaints. He noticed something in breadcrumbs on somebody's discarded plate.

"What's wrong with that, Airman?"

My variant of that was the RSM doing that same Cookhouse duty and asking if the food was OK. Cue some clown, with a vast plate of food, starting to complain.... RSM leans in, picks up plate and walks off..."There you go son, now you have nothing to complain about".   It might not have been exactly gourmet stuff but it was OK and there was a lot of it.  Battlesbury Barracks Warminster, late 70s.

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

geoff

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2021, 07:41:42 AM »

we could use the workshops to work on our own cars, outside working hours.

" We " also used to have that " perk " until some dozey twonk set his car ablaze INSIDE the workshop  :agh

After much mess and an excess of cleaning up the perk was promptly consigned to history  :shakeinghead

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2021, 10:16:05 AM »

Hi,

Cookhouse complaints, RAF Weeton (mainly a trade training camp.

One of my mates covered his Shepherds Pie (thickly) with all available comdiments, stuck his knife and fork in vertically, folded his arms, and waited for the Duty Officer.

DO rventually arrived, ganced at the stached plate, and said ...

"I see you are saving yours!"

... and kept walking.

Many RAF camps had their own pig farms (huge pork chops), which was one way of getting rid of the cookhouse slops. I sometimes wondered how many times each pig was "recycled". ???   This was many years before Mad Cows hit the news.

Oh yes ... TABT injections. As far as I can make out, one syringefull of "Military Liquid No.7", would do a dozen blokes ... and so did the needle. Just form a line, left hand on hip, and walk past slowly.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2021, 06:48:21 AM »

Hi,

I used to spend time in the RAF camp library, normally reading novels, etc, but occasionally I browsed QRs (Queens Regulations)

That's where I learned that everybody was entitled to a "supper meal". I asked one of the cooks ... "That's right! Come in at 21.00 hrs."

So I did ... usually it meant making your own sandwiches, as many as you wanted, but occasionally there were special treats. I seemed that only half a dozen blokes (out of a couple of hundred) knew about this perk.

While I was art RAF Sharjah (Arabia), me and a mate had to take an aircraft tailplane up into the Burami (Sp?) mountains, about 60 miles inland from Dubai. Soft sand? Drop the tyre pressures from 70 to 20psi ... and cruise in 2WD, over soft sand that was difficult to walk on.  Engage 4WD (which dropped you into LO ratio) before attempting to climb out a deep "wadi" ... I never thought I'd meet an incline that a lightly laden Bedford RL couldn't climb in regular first gear. There was a cushion clenching moment, when I had to "snatch" the transfer gear lever into 4WD LO. It was like driving up a cliff face.

PS, Me and a mate went on a pony trekking weekend (Vale of the White Horse in Wiltshire) We didn't realise that we would be expected to ride down a cliff face ... I was virtually lying back on the horses rump, hoping the horse knew what it was doing.  :agh  Well, you can't lose face in front of a bunch of teenage girls, can you?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.