S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: I’m not worried yet but ...  (Read 4548 times)

A-Ro

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1998
  • .:
I’m not worried yet but ...
« on: March 26, 2021, 12:23:44 PM »

My 6 pot is having an MOT and the test centre has reported that they can’t do an MOT because it doesn’t have a chassis plate and that she should not be allowed on the road. It’s been taken there by the garage who were fixing the fuel problem and I asked for an MOT because it is time for a new one and it made sense while she was in the garage anyway. I’ve told the garage that the plate is behind the square heater not because I know it’s there but because that’s where I know them to be. I can’t believe this is happening, I’ve owned her for 15 years and never had any issues in the past.
When designing something to be foolproof never underestimate the ingenuity of fools.

geoff

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 12:27:35 PM »

Make your own stamped plate and problem sorted, doesn't need to be a " proper " L/R version - been there myself done that  :tiphat

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
    • Land Rover Classic Campers
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 12:43:55 PM »

Is it pre- 1st Aug 1980?

If so, not having a chassis plate, or not visible is not an MOT fail!

See HERE

Robin.
LRCC: Land Rover Classic Campers - 1967 Carawagon, 200TDi, completed & in use - 1972 109"quot SW Carawagon, 2.5NA, completed & in use - 1958 Carawagon project. - 1971 Carawagon project. - ! - 1974 Dormobile project.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 12:50:49 PM »

Is it a Series 2?

Is ther no chassis plate anywhere?

Is the chassis number visible on the drivers side dumb iron?  If not get it stamped pronto.

Do you have a valid V5 for it

If you have a V5 you can buy the correct stamped plate from the club.  Contact Alexander Bywaters.

Hopefully the test centre just refused to test it.  Any other course of action could lead to DVLA getting involved.  the fact that the garage got it wrong to start with wont wash with DVLA.  As far as they are concerened no number on the chassis means no identity.  I have written about this quite often.

Speak to the garage doing the work and ask if they can stamp the dumb iron.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

A-Ro

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 01:05:21 PM »

I asked about the chassis stamping and apparently that won’t do it has to be the VIN plate. Thanks for the link about the VIN plate I phoned them and they went away and looked it up and agreed it doesn’t need one, the only hiccup now is they are a fairly new to doing MOTs and this is the first historic vehicle they have done and they can’t work out how to get the details into the new computerised system. I’m waiting for a phone call so hopefully she’ll be back today.

They did look for the plate behind the heater and there isn’t one which surprises me I’ve got to say, I’ve never had a Landy without one and I’ve had a few over the years. When I get her back I’ll be ordering a new one.

Thanks for your help.

AlexB

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 4139
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 01:16:47 PM »

Let me have sight of the V5 - chassis number and the address, paypal £20 or £15 (member) to [email protected]

I'll sort for you
"Ne jetez plus ! Ce qui est inutile pour vous, est utile pour les autres" Abbé Pierre

Old Hywel

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6823
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 01:20:20 PM »

Flat-heater models have the plate mounted in the dashboard, above the driver’s right knee.

A-Ro

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 01:36:31 PM »

Flat-heater models have the plate mounted in the dashboard, above the driver’s right knee.

Mine definitely doesn’t, it will when I order one off Alex though.

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
    • Land Rover Classic Campers
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 01:40:42 PM »

I asked about the chassis stamping and apparently that won’t do it has to be the VIN plate. Thanks for the link about the VIN plate I phoned them and they went away and looked it up and agreed it doesn’t need one, the only hiccup now is they are a fairly new to doing MOTs and this is the first historic vehicle they have done and they can’t work out how to get the details into the new computerised system. I’m waiting for a phone call so hopefully she’ll be back today.

They did look for the plate behind the heater and there isn’t one which surprises me I’ve got to say, I’ve never had a Landy without one and I’ve had a few over the years. When I get her back I’ll be ordering a new one.

Thanks for your help.

When I took one for MOT without a chassis plate or stamped dumb-iron, they took the chassis number from the V5 to input on to the system.

I eventually found the chassis plate for that one - in a box as I'd been doing some work on the bulkhead - but if I hadn't I'd have got one via the S2C (AlexB).

Robin.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2021, 01:55:53 PM »

Biggest load of rubbish I've ever heard, "shouldn't be on the road without a VIN number."  :thud

As you probably know by now - VIN numbers weren't invented until 1979 - the concept didn't exist before then.
(Gooooooooooooooooooooooogle it)

Take it to another garage/MoT station that knows their business.
That said - if they want to learn. The VOSA/DVLA (or what ever they are called today) have a hot line where the tester can be talked through the process of entering the data into the computer.

From 1967 onwards when flat heaters were fitted as standard Land Rover repositioned the chassis plate as described ^^^
to here:-

You may not have a chassis plate, but you should see the 4 screw holes (for self tapping screws) where it was/should be - if it's the original bulkhead.
For a new bulkhead, it won't have the holes.
For an early bulkhead the chassis plate holes with be behind where the flat heater is now.
Some POs may have retro fitted an early bulkhead because it was less rusty than the original.
Some POs may have "upgraded" an older vehicle to a flat heater.

Any road up, this should be an easy matter to resolve.

:RHD
Who's a then ?

TimV

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 5393
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2021, 02:13:36 PM »

Agree with above!

Take it to another MOT station, one that knows how to deal with historic vehicles. Consider the list of friendly stations on the FBVHC site https://www.fbhvc.co.uk/historic-friendly-mot-stations
Tim

GlenAnderson

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 1135
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2021, 02:33:03 PM »

Take it somewhere else.

If they have to refer to a higher authority about the presence/absence of the chassis plate, they’re not going to be competent to make a decision about its roadworthyness. If you do take it to them, be prepared to deal with an appeal of the inevitable fail.
It’s not air, it’s adjustment.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2021, 02:42:30 PM »

Minded of the garage that failed Tonka for not having working lights. The Tester had never met an MOD 6-way light switch before...
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

A-Ro

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2021, 02:55:55 PM »

Needless to say they have responded to having their ignorance pointed out by failing her on a misaligned headlamp and excessive play in a front wheel bearing. My garage can’t fix these until Monday which isn’t a big issue for me but my garage said that the play isn’t that excessive and they didn’t think there was enough there to fail it outright.
Cest la vie, it’ll be back on Monday.

TimV

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 5393
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2021, 03:06:36 PM »

Needless to say they have responded to having their ignorance pointed out by failing her on a misaligned headlamp and excessive play in a front wheel bearing. My garage can’t fix these until Monday which isn’t a big issue for me but my garage said that the play isn’t that excessive and they didn’t think there was enough there to fail it outright.
Cest la vie, it’ll be back on Monday.
Maybe they haven't encountered taper wheel bearings?

The place I used to go to (on the list I linked to) didn't fail mine on misaligned headlights - they adjusted them - no charge!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 23 queries.