S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: OT ... garage doors  (Read 6072 times)

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
OT ... garage doors
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2021, 11:52:55 AM »

I've got a roller insulated electic operation garage door but it came with 2 fobs, up and down switch inside and a winding handle inside incase of power cuts, I can entrer from the house as well so no problem getting in if the power is off. As said the roll does take away some headroom but if this is a problem look at the sectional type which takes little headroom.
I got mine fitted by a good local man in Anglesey who did a tidy job at a price far less than the big firms quoted.
I would avoid firms a long way away from you, whilst they can offer good prices they are not keen to return and fix a problem if 200 miles away as a neigbour found out!

ChrisJC

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5547
  • .:
OT ... garage doors
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2021, 12:23:24 PM »

One slightly OT observation. If there is now an option for a manual override to open the doors from the inside, that would be good.

Both of my garage doors have electric openers which are basically a very long leadscrew. Both systems have a manual means to disengage the leadscrew from the push-rod, and manually open the door.

Chris.

Kernowcam

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
OT ... garage doors
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2021, 09:29:32 PM »

Is 2.3m / 7’6” width by 2.1 high adequate!

ChrisJC

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5547
  • .:
OT ... garage doors
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2021, 08:25:10 AM »

I think most people try to avoid driving into inanimate objects, be they garage doors, houses, chairs, etc. etc. Generally with a pretty high success rate.

One typically does not select garden chairs with any consideration to replacement cost if you accidentally run one over with the ride-on mower.

Chris.

Betsy1969

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5469
  • .:
OT ... garage doors
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2021, 08:05:37 AM »

Mine is an electric insulated roller type with built in alarm against forcefull entry . It has two remote fobs and internal switch plus manual opening rod which goes in from a locked entry point outside . There isn’t a manual option inside but if I found myself stuck then I could dismantle the gubbins enough to operate it.

Came from a company near me in Rotherham called JB Garage doors. They make them themselves and I was very impressed with the service and the quality. Might be a bit far for the OP though .

I think we paid around £1400

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • .:
OT ... garage doors
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2021, 08:16:12 AM »

^^^^ your internal control/alarm sounds like mine but I also have a handle that hooks on to the top unit if I have a power cut

agg221

• Swivel King
OT ... garage doors
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2021, 09:51:14 AM »

Looking at that last picture, one difference in the design of the door I referred to earlier is that it doesn't roll up. The whole thing slides up as a piece around a track with a curved 90 degree bend in it. The down side is that things can't hang down at all from the roof space in the front part of the garage but the big advantage is that you gain the headroom out the the whole opening height (height is the thickness of the slat and track, rather than the whole roll) which may be important if you are tight on headroom.

Alec

Kernowcam

• .:
OT ... garage doors
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2021, 03:40:30 PM »

When these rollers roll up fully, does the roll keep within the metal box that surrounds things, height wise?

I have got to limit heights to a max eaves height of 2.5m for planning, I believe I loose 100mm through the door timbers, so with a 300mm box I am left with 2.1 max door hole height.

Then am I correct the door bottom always hangs down about 100mm when fully up? Leaving a useable height of 2m.

I am looking at a used door which does 2.1 fully open, and the seller says it needs 250mm for box.
All a bit tight.
Alternatively I could go for a compact at 200+ mm? But POSs less robust door on 55mm laths.

agg221

• Swivel King
OT ... garage doors
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2021, 04:11:51 PM »

Does the site layout allow you to turn the roof around, so that you have the door on a gable end? So long as the door is not the full width, that would give you considerably more height with suitably designed roof timbers.

Alec

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • .:
OT ... garage doors
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2021, 05:26:13 PM »

When my door is lifted with the motor the door is 10cm below the box as pictured but I can use the handle to lift it more as pictured so it hits the stops and is only 5mm lower than the box, also pictured.
Perhaps the installer could reset the auto stops to the 5mm position as he did set the position when he fitted it ???

Kernowcam

• .:
OT ... garage doors
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2021, 06:22:48 PM »

Oil stain. Thanks. I believe the end stops are adjustable.

I can’t turn the building as I am being considerate to my neighbour and his view. We discussed this and it’s hard to backtrack.

Also I prefer it that way! Good thought though.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
OT ... garage doors
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2021, 09:53:30 PM »

I think most people try to avoid driving into inanimate objects, be they garage doors, houses, chairs, etc. etc. Generally with a pretty high success rate.

One typically does not select garden chairs with any consideration to replacement cost if you accidentally run one over with the ride-on mower.

Hi Chris.

Ref the SAAB incident, Barbara had driven down the road, parked outside the house next door, facing the wrong way. On climbing out of the car, she decided she was too far from the kerb, climbed back in again, (didn't close the door), inserted key  (SAAB key locked gearstick in reverse) and presumably turned the key without selecting neutral.  Car took off like a bat out of Hell, in reverse, straight towards my Disco.  Barbara spun the wheel to avoid the Disco. Rear corner  missed the Disco, but open SAAB driver door hit Disco. By this time SAAB was on full lock, so it's front wing also hit Disco ... Disco was now a write-off.  SAAB continues across road, reverses
d into front corner of Transit sized van, pusihng van sideways against the kerb.
(I was sitting in front room watching TV, when I heard a sort of f**ting noise as the tyre deflated). Van continued travelling sideways, against the kerb, bending it's front axle.

I'm guessing that the SAAB had travelled less than 20 feet, most of it at full lock, from a standing start. I later heard that another SAAB had done something similar. I don't know if it's pertinent, but I had noticed the SAAB had a reluctance to cruise smoothly, I had to keep adjusting the throttle between very slightly on and very slightly off. A steady throttle, with no load, gave a slightly jerky, ON - OFF- ON progress. ???  I believe the SAAB had some sort of anti-stall device.

SAAB had damage to right rear corner, drivers door bent forward against the front wing , and mangled driver's front wing, (both from hitting my Disco), and well crumped left rear quarter from hitting the van.  But that damage had caused most of the other panels to distort, including roof and boot lid. Only the passenger door seemed un-involved.  The insurance assessors abandoned the assessment, when the cost of replacement SAAB parts went over £700.

I assume the van was a write off... it seemed sensible not to ask.  And my Disco was an economic write off.  My insurers understood what I was getting at, when I said I wanted to claim against Barbara ... no sense in both of us losing one NCB "life". It took two claims to lose one's full NCB.

The folding chair will be offered to a member of this forum, who has a sister with a wood burner. You know who you are ... there are a couple of sacks of firewood that I need to deliver to you, when I get my Freelander back.

OT ... since Barbara's fall, a certain lady Councillor seems to have become remarkably friendly.  ???

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 2241
  • .:
OT ... garage doors
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2021, 10:27:51 AM »

I'm not sure quite why this topic was started in '602 musings', but that's where it is.

Observations from a long way away (so perhaps not having a full view).
You mention 'eaves height' which implies a pitched roof, and the line drawing of the door installation supports this assumption. The line drawing also shows the vehicle door in the side of the building, and in one response you explain that you cannot move the door to the gable end, out of consideration for your neighbour.
Basic question, given the height limitations it creates, is a roll up door the optimum door solution?

If you really want a roll up door, could the box containing the rolled door be mounted outside the building, effectively putting the bottom of the box level with the eaves, rather than below the eaves?
The external box may not be 'pretty', but a suitable choice of paint may well subdue the visual impact.

Alternatively, could you put the roll inside the roof, but inset by 24", say? This will allow the box to be above the eaves height.
Some horizontal beams above the door and across the pitch of the roof may be in the way, but perhaps steel A frames, with a horizontal brace closer to the apex, would have sufficient strength (as opposed to wooden A frames, with the horizontals at eaves height).
I envisage some sort of guide rail being required to guide the door from the inset box to the wall.

My last thought was about a personal door; were you going to install one?
I can see that such a door reduces the internal wall area for shelves etc, but I have become convinced that the gain in heat retention outweighs that reduction. The assumption here is that personal access is required very much more often than vehicle access, thus opening a 3ft door loses less internal heat than opening a 7' 6" door.
Also the vehicle door can be more securely locked from the inside, with no requirement for an external handle or lock.
To eliminate losing floor area with an inward opening door, my friend made the personal door outward opening, reasoning that any bad weather wind pressure would close the door more tightly, and that the door would be more resistant to forced entry. I intend to follow his lead.

Regards.

Betsy1969

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5469
  • .:
OT ... garage doors
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2021, 06:34:36 PM »

^^^^ your internal control/alarm sounds like mine but I also have a handle that hooks on to the top unit if I have a power cut

Yes that’s exact same box and looks like same door. Haven’t got the hook-ended pole though

Kernowcam

• .:
OT ... garage doors
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2021, 08:59:28 PM »

I think I’m getting there!
My lightweight on 600 tyres seems to need 1.90
Can I check what size a landy on 7.50 needs and
What’s a disco height?

My architect can give me 2.1 but I may have a single slat of 79 mm to deal with.

Good point re an opening door outward. My person door faces the extreme weather.

The standard thicker insulated doors  with 77 slats with a 300mm attract me , however if needed a compact version is available on 55 mm slats and a 250 headroom.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 23 queries.