S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Test driving transmission options ! Any events  (Read 1473 times)

Libby_59series2

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 7130
  • .:
Test driving transmission options ! Any events
« on: April 20, 2021, 02:04:36 PM »

Dear All,

We are slowly progressing with our rebuild but have been held up by the impending purchase of a new house which has put a lockdown on spending ! After this is done we can put what we save into the land rover. The big purchase coming up is a new Chassis along with all the other replacement parts and ongoing engine rebuild !

At the moment i am still trying to work our what to do with our Gearbox. Which has sat for some months now in pieces being cleaned, fiddled with and put back. I think i cant commit to investing time into it as we cant decide if we should be trying to fit a 5 speed, or opt for the ashcroft High ratio transfer Case gears option.

Without being rude and presumptuous is there any chance in the next months that we might be able to test drive at some meeting various options of 200tdi mated to either series gearbox's with Ashcroft transmissions/overdrives or 5 speed boxes fitted to a series ? Or am I being unrealistic ?

The Ashcroft kit at £360 if i send in my case seems like a predictable option cost wise which would leave original gear sticks and require the least change to the rest of the vehicle. I rather like the idea of keeping the old gearbox in the vehicle and i don't think we will likely thrash the gearbox with loads of off-roading. Although we are now thinking the car will become more of a n every day car/building workhorse in the coming years rather than a camper as our circumstances are changing. I dont think fitting 3.54 Differentials is an option for us cheaply as we have a Salisbury rear axle which we didn't intend to swap.

Are any south west meetings likely to happen this summer where we might be able to improve our limited knowledge or even have a go in some converted vehicles ?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions

All the best

Josh and Libby

TimV

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5393
Re: Test driving transmission options ! Any events
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 02:13:45 PM »

I have the Ashcroft conversion, but it's attached to a standard petrol (I wanted refinement, not loose teeth!).

There are no meetings planned, but I should be at the South West camping weekend.
Tim

Herald1360

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5979
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 11:52:08 AM »

Not a direct answer, but maybe food for thought?

I have a 2A 109 SW 200Tdi and can confirm from bitter experience that the 200Tdi + series gearbox is marginal. The SW now has 200Tdi + LT77 + Ashcroft Series Transfer conversion kit + Series Transfer Box (+ demountable gearbox X-member).

Hindsight (20/20 of course....) suggests that a 2.5 petrol + LPG might have been no more expensive in the end and much more civilised to drive!

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 10:24:39 PM »

Hi Herald,

Will LPG continue to be available, post-Whenever?

GlenAnderson

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 1135
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 03:14:29 AM »

I run a 200 Tdi with a Series 3 (suffix C) gearbox, Roverdrive, 3.54:1 diffs and 235/85 tyres. I have a Salisbury rear axle that I swapped the original 4.7:1 internals for those from a 110 axle at minimal cost.

I don’t know what tyres you’re planning on running, or what use you’re envisaging, but getting the gearing right is key to getting the most out of a Tdi swap, both in terms of drivability and economy. 4.7 diffs are too low, even with an overdrive/high ratio transfer case and big tyres, and if you go the LT77 route they’re even worse.

You’re welcome to have a go in my 109”, but Dover isn’t exactly a stone’s throw away from you...
It’s not air, it’s adjustment.

Mowersman

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 06:49:12 AM »

Now, A lot of people will disagree with me here, however...
I would never run a Series gearbox behind a 200TDI. The low end harsh torque just seems to smash them to pieces. The Series box is right on its design limits and can fail in a multitude of ways, rather than just one main failure mode.
I'm not the most gentle driver in the world, but I just press on, rather than bang gears and treat it roughly. I ran Series boxes behind a 200DI (-T) for a year, a 2.25D for a few months and then a 19J for probably 3 years. The 2.25 and 19J are less harsh in terms of low end torque delivery than the 200 but even so, in that time I think I went through 8 boxes, including 2 fully rebuilt ones. I then switched to an R380 5 speed and haven't had a failure in 4 and a bit years (Touch wood!). I actually prefer driving a Series box, but changing them on average every 6 months was starting to lose its fun somewhat, especially as I was relying on it as a daily driver.
I think the Series box is fine with more power, but not the harsh torque of a diesel.
Andrew
FUD216C 1965 SWB running a 19J/200 TDI hybrid, on 100% WVO all year round.
NFO515 1961 109SW EX mil, rebuilt 2.25 petrol on LPG (26100012a)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 07:15:19 AM »

Hi Josh and Libby,

Memory fades, so I'm having difficulty working out which of my trucks had what engine/transmission, but  ...

I think my last S1 (with S2 foundations) was fitted with 3.5 Range Rover diffs, and 205 tyres, which the 2286 petrol pulled with contemptuous ease.

While my S2 TD (not TDi) LWB, on standard S2  diffs, but 245 (?) chunky tyres pulled like a train, unless attempting a hill start with 1000+ kg on the hook.  But WAS it on standard diffs?

Don't trust my memory ... I have learned not to.

Me?  I would avoid a Salisbury axle, but I have nothing to base that on, other than the worry of complications if anything breaks ... but DO they break?  I'm guessing that the unsprung weight of a Salisbury axle is a significant factor when deciding to go parabolic, or even on standard S2 springs.

I'm guessing that the weight of a Salisbury axle would be a significant factor for for the average home mechanic.

I believe the Salisbury axle requires a shorter prop-shaft, which might be a factor on an 88" ... the propshaft has to bend at a steeper angle.

Many years ago, I was in communication with somebody (I think his name was TONY RELF) on DIFFLOCK.COM, about the joys of a medical retirement when one is young enough to enjoy it. I think he will remember me, but I don't know if it was MY advice that persuaded him to go for it. I seldom visit DIFFLOCK nowadays, but his name still seems to crop up, when I do.

I think it was Tony who founded TEAM HOOLIGAN (a sort of charity to raise money for the disabled). He campaigned an S2 88" off-road... I don't know if he had Salisbury axles, but he mentioned having problems with the bigger 1-ton brakes. They were too powerful.  I assume you are able to balance the braking between front and rear, if you have a standard LR front axle, and a 1-ton rear?

Me?  From ignorance, but assuming I was well-heeled, and was only interested in road use, in an 88" I'd go for an over-drive ... long legs for normal use ... short legs when I needed serious grunt. Anything else, I'd compare what I've got, with what I could have, and compare my thoughts and findings with what Land Rover thought suitable for both sizes of Defender.  Weight v Axle Ratio v Tyre Turns per Mile.

But that's me.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 18 queries.