S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Tracker's  (Read 3016 times)

Dopey

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 8197
  • .:
Tracker's
« on: May 04, 2021, 08:26:24 PM »

Trackers a lot of ppl ask about them here, this is a good alternative 4 in a box, so you can just hide them in cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MaPqUYAetg
Roads? Who Needs Roads.

Get more than 3 pensioners together and they will form a committee.

Been with the S2C since 2002

kev

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6287
  • .:
  • Blah, blah, blah...
Re: Tracker's
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 08:31:49 PM »

All I saw was a bloke trying to scratch an apple air tag with a stanley knife. ???
Do you have to have an iphone?
What is the range?

Dopey

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 08:45:45 PM »

You can do it with android, you just need to give it permission, the range is unlimited, it uses other ppls phones to keep a track on it 

A-Ro

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1998
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 07:20:38 PM »

I bought a set today, I’ll let you know how I get on.
When designing something to be foolproof never underestimate the ingenuity of fools.

Dopey

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 10:22:21 PM »

Well done, they look toy be just the thing, and with 4 in a box you can now buy 3 more Landys...  :bright-idea :RHD

rustynuts

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3380
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 11:17:20 PM »

Surely these would only locate your stolen landy if someone happened to walk within a couple of metres of it with a mobile phone with the app installed and the Bluetooth turned on? Does Bluetooth easily penetrate the bodyshell of a vehicle? I've never tried it.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 11:49:01 PM »

... or stored inside 2 containers  ???
Who's a then ?

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 09:37:00 AM »

If you look hard enough you can buy blocking devices these days that transmit a very strong signal on frequencies used by mobile phones, wi-fi routers etc. I think professional (If there is s such a thing) thieves will carry blocking equipment with them but still, it's worth a try and not a great expense to be fair. Shipping containers are a bit like a huge Faraday cage, I've tried a mobile phone in one but some trackers can work through them. I saw a police camera program once where they boxed in a container truck on the motorway and stopped it. The driver pleaded inocent, just moving this trailer from A-B he said but the container was full of stolen diggers and site equipment.

I have looked at similar tracker before as I was thinking of hiding one inside the frame of my push bike. I like my bike and so does everyone else I encounter so always careful that I never leave it anywhere alone but, you never know who might see you riding into your house and decide to return a few days later....

I used the Google maps tracking app on my partners mobile to find it again when she dropped it while out on a horse ride. Fortunately she shared her location with me so I got in the car and followed the signal around the lanes until I stopped next to a pair of walkers. Wound the window down, asked if they picked up a purple phone with a photo of a white horse on the screen and they produced it from their pocket. The tracker on that was very good, got me within a few feet of the location.

Craig.

A-Ro

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 06:48:46 PM »

Setting the tracker up couldn’t be simpler, turn on Bluetooth on your phone and pull the plastic strip to enable the tag then follow the onscreen instructions.
I’ve thought of another use for it. It will help when you can’t remember exactly where you left your Landy in a big car park. Oh wait…

Dopey

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 07:13:21 PM »

If you look hard enough you can buy blocking devices these days that transmit a very strong signal on frequencies used by mobile phones, wi-fi routers etc. I think professional (If there is s such a thing) thieves will carry blocking equipment with them but still, it's worth a try and not a great expense to be fair. Shipping containers are a bit like a huge Faraday cage, I've tried a mobile phone in one but some trackers can work through them. I saw a police camera program once where they boxed in a container truck on the motorway and stopped it. The driver pleaded inocent, just moving this trailer from A-B he said but the container was full of stolen diggers and site equipment.

I have looked at similar tracker before as I was thinking of hiding one inside the frame of my push bike. I like my bike and so does everyone else I encounter so always careful that I never leave it anywhere alone but, you never know who might see you riding into your house and decide to return a few days later....

I used the Google maps tracking app on my partners mobile to find it again when she dropped it while out on a horse ride. Fortunately she shared her location with me so I got in the car and followed the signal around the lanes until I stopped next to a pair of walkers. Wound the window down, asked if they picked up a purple phone with a photo of a white horse on the screen and they produced it from their pocket. The tracker on that was very good, got me within a few feet of the location.

Craig.

That's how it works, If you can get a phone signal, then you can track it within a few feet, its cross tracked by other ppls phone to pin pint the signal, If you have an iphone then you already have it on Find MY Phone app, it's the same thing and works the same way, but its just £30

Smokey 11a

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6784
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 09:33:03 PM »

I knew a Land rover car thief from Manchester, He could find a Tracker i a Land Rover in seconds. He said there's only so many places that they can be hidden, if not they just park them up and see what happens. Her also mentioned that there almost always in the same place, due to the lack of hiding places. If and when they found one it would be tossed in the back of a lorry for and interesting ride around the UK. he was caught got 18 months, as he pleaded  guilty to 200 or so offences, out in 9 months. His first name was/is Wayne. He would get one late at night and have it in parts before breakfast. Fit more than one or don't bother, if they want it, it will go.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2021, 08:38:04 AM »

Hi Smokey,

Surely vehicle theft is an endorsable offence (not sure how many points, but it must be as many as driving without insurance. Maybe it counts as two or three offences).

When I was in my teens, no insurance would mean taking the bus for 12 months, and driving while disqualified, would involve "Pleasuring the Monarch for 12 months". Nobody in my immediate group got involved, but one acquaintance was frequently away, as Purser on a cruise liner (he said), for months at a time. He eventually rammed a Mk.7 Jag into a sturdy tree, at 100mph+, on Purley Way .... the engine continued for a further quarter mile, ended up in middle of Purley. I think photos made the National Press, probably about 1960ish.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2021, 10:27:39 AM »

In my view, a conviction for car theft should result in an automatic lifetime driving ban. What we need is a proper deterrent not a slap on the wrist. The punishment should relate to the crime. Trailer theft - take way the legal right to tow a trailer over 750kg. May sound simple, but its an easy way of deterring some people. Those who actively search out tracking devices are clearly not opportunists or some joker looking for a free ride home - these are low life benefitting financially from crime which we are all having to pay for.
Maybe I'm a relly of Judge Jeffreys... If I could bring back hanging for nicking a trailer off me for the 3rd time, I'm all for it.  >:D >:D >:D
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

A-Ro

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2021, 10:58:33 AM »

I’ve completed the disguise of the tracker with a shoddy coat of paint so it doesn’t look quite so much like a tracker, now to find somewhere inconspicuous to hide it.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2021, 11:12:02 AM »

The punishment should relate to the crime.

Never going to happen in this current world  :'(

Worrying about it just does your blood pressure.

Protect your property as best you can - which is where this new Apple Air Tag comes in.

I don't think Apple intended these to "track" cars.

And I'm not sure I'd want to spend £29 for a tag to protect my £6 brolly  
(Scroll down the Apple link for the joke.)

The girl in the Apple presentation put a tag on her water bottle  :thud

Mind how you go ...

:plod
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 18 queries.