S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tracker's  (Read 2993 times)

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 2241
  • .:
Re: Tracker's
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2021, 04:26:22 PM »

Repeating comments I've just read on another forum which suggests a potential thief will be alerted via their own phone that a tracker is active. It isn't an aspect I've seen in this thread, which is why I've copied the comments.

First comment:
"Plan on removing the coil on the plastic cover (which is the speaker diaphragm) of the two I put on bikes so a thief won't hear them beeping!".

Response comment:
"Be aware that even without the beeping, if the thief has an iPhone, it will receive a notification that he is being tracked (i.e the tracker will notify someone when someone else's tracker is following him/her). I expect that there will also be apps released for Android phones as well to tap into the signal sending the tracking information from the AirTags.
Apple does this so that people cannot use them to track someone without their knowledge. As such, AirTags will not really be very useful for tracking stolen items.".

Regards.

A-Ro

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1998
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2021, 05:18:50 PM »

Hey ho, the best laid plans etc. Now I have a brightly coloured key ring/dog collar ornament.
When designing something to be foolproof never underestimate the ingenuity of fools.

oddjob

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 2153
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2021, 06:12:14 PM »

Trying to find something the size of a 50p in Land Rover would be challenging. Maybe the alert would make them abandon it?
If my Land Rover went missing I'd be wishing I had gambled £29 on a tracker that might work. I've already got a proper tracker but think I'll get one of these as a back up. Bet I can hide it well enough to make it take a few hours to find.

:cheers
We’re all here because we’re not all there.

Dopey

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 8197
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2021, 07:49:47 PM »

Repeating comments I've just read on another forum which suggests a potential thief will be alerted via their own phone that a tracker is active. It isn't an aspect I've seen in this thread, which is why I've copied the comments.

First comment:
"Plan on removing the coil on the plastic cover (which is the speaker diaphragm) of the two I put on bikes so a thief won't hear them beeping!".

Response comment:
"Be aware that even without the beeping, if the thief has an iPhone, it will receive a notification that he is being tracked (i.e the tracker will notify someone when someone else's tracker is following him/her). I expect that there will also be apps released for Android phones as well to tap into the signal sending the tracking information from the AirTags.
Apple does this so that people cannot use them to track someone without their knowledge. As such, AirTags will not really be very useful for tracking stolen items.".

Regards.
It's not so, its encrypted, no one get an alert but you, and whoever you authorise,
I’ve completed the disguise of the tracker with a shoddy coat of paint so it doesn’t look quite so much like a tracker, now to find somewhere inconspicuous to hide it.
Paint it like a bitcoin.... no one will take it then  :-X :-X
Roads? Who Needs Roads.

Get more than 3 pensioners together and they will form a committee.

Been with the S2C since 2002

jonhutchings

• Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2021, 10:01:02 AM »

It's not so, its encrypted, no one get an alert but you, and whoever you authorise,  Paint it like a bitcoin.... no one will take it then  :-X :-X

Not true,  If your iPhone detects an apple tag that is "travelling with you" but is not yours, you will get an alert on your phone. So as a thief with an iPhone, you steal a car with a tag in it, your phone will tell you of the tags presence in the car. (Apple doesn't know you are nicking a car, so it assumes that someone has put a tag on you without your knowledge (the tag is not registered to you so it knows it's not yours)

Once you find the tag you can then follow hand instructions on  your phone to disable it, because after all Apple prides themselves on ease of use :)

see https://www.apple.com/uk/newsroom/2021/04/apple-introduces-airtag/ under privacy and security which says

"AirTag is also designed with a set of proactive features that discourage unwanted tracking, an industry first. Bluetooth signal identifiers transmitted by AirTag rotate frequently to prevent unwanted location tracking. iOS devices can also detect an AirTag that isn’t with its owner, and notify the user if an unknown AirTag is seen to be traveling with them from place to place over time. And even if users don’t have an iOS device, an AirTag separated from its owner for an extended period of time will play a sound when moved to draw attention to it. If a user detects an unknown AirTag, they can tap it with their iPhone or NFC-capable device and instructions will guide them to disable the unknown AirTag. "

oddjob

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 2153
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2021, 10:41:34 AM »

Does that mean they have to find it to disable it?
 :cheers

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2021, 11:12:35 AM »

Do trackers enable the recovery of stolen vehicles ???
Who's a then ?

Tobyd10

• Chassis welder
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2021, 11:58:12 AM »

I have read that the potential their can find these quickly in a Landover but I have a plan.
I will glue the tag to one of a number of screws that I will remove while doing some maintenance. I will only have to turn away and look back and it will be invisible but still somewhere in the Land Rover- done.

A-Ro

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1998
  • .:
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2021, 09:59:39 PM »

^^^😂😂😂😂^^^
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 21 queries.