S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Downloading my camera to lap-top. Advice needed.  (Read 4867 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Downloading my camera to lap-top. Advice needed.
« on: May 12, 2021, 06:48:52 AM »

Hi,

What it says on the label. I don't know what is relevant, so I will tell you everything.

My camera is FUJIFILM - 5X-ZOOM - HD MOVIE -14 MEGA PIXELS.

The "chip" thingy is a SAMSUNG - 4GB - measuring about 30mm x 22mm. Memory says it's called something like "SD?A", but don't trust my memory (I don't).

I have two lap-tops - a new HUAWEI, and an old ACER. Neither has a slot big enough to accept the the "chip".

"Somewhere" in the house, I should have a HUB, that will accept the "chip" thingy, plus several other USBs (?), but I haven't used it since we moved house.

I think that I need a remote hub, to be able to download my camera into the lap-top, but don't see that I have any need for more USB ports.

Is there such a thing as a single socket hub (adaptor?) to allow me to download my pictures onto my PC?

Words of one syllable, please.

PS ... while i'm here. Barbara called in an optician yesterday, to order new specs. While he was here, I asked him to test my eyes, as I'm not sure if I can read a number plate at 25 yards. The nice man says I don't need specs for driving. One less thing not to worry about.

GAHC

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7371
  • .:
Re: Downloading my camera to lap-top. Advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 07:09:11 AM »

Simplest way is with something like this (link below).... sounds like you already have one though. Simply plug into USB and it will accept many different media cards from cameras. Alternatively if you find the box that your camera came with it may have a cable to connect the camera direct to the computer

Multi Memory Card Reader

best of luck!

Thanks

Giles

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 08:09:24 AM »

Hi Giles,

Thanks for that. I will go away and digest.

My desktop (many years ago) had a port to take the wide "card", but my  lap-tops don't.

I had something similar to what you suggest, but "par for course", I can't find it. I will search a bit longer before spending money.

Strange things go missing in my house ... two vernier micrometers (300mm and 150mm), "Jack" saws (several), a large magnifying glass, a jewellers "eye glass" for removing splinters, etc. Some eventually re-appear, some don't. ???  Somethings I find in my other hand.  :thud

My Suzuki Jimny keys never re-appeared.  A metre long spirit level?

:thud

geoff

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 08:29:25 AM »

Can you plug the camera directly into the computer with a wire ( USB Lead )  ??? 

I offload photographs using an USB Lead and the " Card " stays inside the camera.

As soon as I connect the camera a pop up box appears which once clicked leads you through the process of transferrance  :tiphat

Clifford Pope

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3129
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 03:06:06 PM »

Can you plug the camera directly into the computer with a wire ( USB Lead )  ??? 

I offload photographs using an USB Lead and the " Card " stays inside the camera.

As soon as I connect the camera a pop up box appears which once clicked leads you through the process of transferrance  :tiphat

That's what I use. Just a cable with an ordinary USB at the computer end, and a small USB-ish plug on the other that goes into the camera. It is possible to install the software that came with the camera onto the computer, and then it will do all sorts of fancy tricks. But if I ignore that and having plugged in the cable and switched the camera to "view" rather than "take pictures" then go to file manager C-drive it just displays a list of all the pictures in the camera, complete with thumbnails.
Then I can just drag all/any I want to the required destination on the computer.

When I'm satisfied that it has copied all the pictures I want, I can then, and only then, delete all the pictures in the camera and start again.

I don't know the proper name for the camera socket type, but the cable is commonplace - lots of different gadgets seem to use the same one. I've several including I think one that came with the camera. I think the Satnav uses the same for downloading maps?

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 03:44:21 PM »

Is this your camera ?

Windows 10 probably has the driver for that family of cameras anyway. But if you go to the Fujifilm website you'll be able to download the correct driver.

As for the cable - it looks like a USB A to USB C cable.

10 a penny - you (as you said) probably have a dozen in your house.
Search eBay if you can't find the cable.

This is the best way  :first
Much better to use the cable to connect the camera to the PC.
Taking the card in and out is not the best idea.

(I have a WiFi feature on my camera - it takes for ever to set up the WiFi connection and the settings aren't remembered. - totally useless, unless someone has invented a hassel-free connection. Not an option you should bother with.)

I use the camera (12Mp) on my phone and images get transferred to my PC in seconds via email.

Who's a then ?

Nanuq

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7780
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 12:22:38 AM »

I hated using the cable to download photos from my camera to the computer.  So I found an app called (mysteriously enough)  PhotoTransferApp   :shakeinghead

It installs on my iPhone and the desktop half goes on my computer.  Then I run the app on my phone, and start the app on my computer and they "see" each other because my phone is automatically connected to my home WiFi when I come in the door.  The computer displays the photos waiting on my phone, and I just select the ones I want and click "Download".

Easy squeasy.

Mowersman

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 04:51:41 AM »

Is this your camera ?

Windows 10 probably has the driver for that family of cameras anyway. But if you go to the Fujifilm website you'll be able to download the correct driver.

As for the cable - it looks like a USB A to USB C cable.

10 a penny - you (as you said) probably have a dozen in your house.
Search eBay if you can't find the cable.
This is the best way  :first
Much better to use the cable to connect the camera to the PC.
Taking the card in and out is not the best idea.

(I have a WiFi feature on my camera - it takes for ever to set up the WiFi connection and the settings aren't remembered. - totally useless, unless someone has invented a hassel-free connection. Not an option you should bother with.)

I use the camera (12Mp) on my phone and images get transferred to my PC in seconds via email.
Just doing some googling, it looks like an uncommon 8 pin USB mini cable, rather than USB C, so just make sure to check before ordering. Both should be easily available from ebay etc.
Andrew
FUD216C 1965 SWB running a 19J/200 TDI hybrid, on 100% WVO all year round.
NFO515 1961 109SW EX mil, rebuilt 2.25 petrol on LPG (26100012a)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2021, 08:38:41 AM »

Hi Both,

Looking at my camera, it  seems to call itself a FUGIFILM, but is a 5 x ZOOM, HD MOVIE, 14 megapixels.

There is FINEPIX AX stamped into the top, close to the ON/OFF button.

I can see no way of linking the camera to my laptop  (or anything) ... hang on ... there is a tiny "squashed D" socket on the OFF_SIDE (Right, when look from the back).

I have not seen the instruction booklet for many years.

Gone 08.30. Barbara is calling me for brekky. Builders are due soon.

Ndrwdz

• Shop Manager
  • S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3755
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 03:04:29 PM »

I hated using the cable to download photos from my camera to the computer.  So I found an app called (mysteriously enough)  PhotoTransferApp   :shakeinghead

It installs on my iPhone and the desktop half goes on my computer.  Then I run the app on my phone, and start the app on my computer and they "see" each other because my phone is automatically connected to my home WiFi when I come in the door.  The computer displays the photos waiting on my phone, and I just select the ones I want and click "Download".

Easy squeasy.

Don't forget that if you log in to www.icloud.com then you have access to all your iPhone's photos, contacts, reminders, files etc.
Obviously only applies to iPhone users.
[ºº]O O[ºº]

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2021, 05:18:38 AM »

Hi Nanuq 

"Obviously only applies to iPhone users."

Then presumably it doesn't apply to ME! I ventured into unknown territory yesterday, borrowed Barbara's phone to take some photos of my new drive. It took several attempts, returning to Barbara's "sick chair" after each attempt, for her to reset her phone. It's a different world out there in here.

Eventually, I used my camera to take some pics, so she could see what had been going on outside.

It then came to pass, that I had to take Wilkie to my daughter's house (about three miles), so my grandson could take him for his daily walk (and earn some pocket money .. £5 per "sortie").

On my return, I found Barbara had sneaked into my study indoor man cave, and had found my "one legged spider", for down-loading my camera to my lap-top., similar to devices already pictured on this thread. It appears to be called a MAXELL USB COMBO (last two words not easy to read, despite being in circa 16 point). It been several years and probably two house moves, since I last saw this device. I've forgotten how to use it.  ???

OK, it's obvious how to  plug it into my lap-top, and then insert the camera's memory "chip" thingy into this thingy. I will let you know how I get on ... assuming my PC survives my fumblings.

OT, but related by photos (I hope). Our builder has lifted the drive by several inches, outside our front door, so in theory, Barbara can now exit the house. I have been "advised" that SHE will be driving me into Whaddon, to collect my Freelander. This will be the first time since the day before Lock Down was introduced, that she will venture forth, which will include the transfer from her wheel-chair into her car. Probably best if we take a  traditional wheel chair with us. Watch this space! She'll be demanding to come to pub-meets, next.

OT2, I'll mention in it's correct thread too ... New clutch fitted to Freelander, plus removal of nasty noise from transmission ... a smidgen over £1,500. Barbara paid that too (again while I was out - I know my place), by credit card over the phone.

OT3. I recently mentioned that LV agreed a reduction in our insurance premiums, due to lock-down. Statement arrived, from a CC company (that we stopped using over a year ago) showing a debit of £35.  :stars

Investigation revealed that it was a DEBIT against a DEBIT, and therefore a CREDIT.  :stars

Problem. We don't have that card anymore. We requested this CC, as all other accounts are in Barbara's name, and if she "popped her clogs", I would be left without any plastic. In the event, Barbara is still with me, the card was never used, and I couldn't find a MK branch of that bank, so we zero'd the balance, and chopped the card. Doh! I'm guessing that £35 will just sit there. ???

For our foreign readers, and possibly some young UK readers, during the Great Depression, if a man died, his wife would grab his now redundant boots, and dash down to the local pawn shop, and borrow money against them, before the news spread. Becoming "deceased" became known as "popping your clogs".

I plugged my camera's thingy into the SDHC card holder slot, the plugged everything into my lap-top.

"No answer!" was the stern reply. Ziltch!

Unplug, and wait for another day. "LMF", as they say in the Militatry,

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2021, 10:10:01 AM »

We're going over the same ground ...

From Monday you can have visitors or go visit people.

You need someone to show you what to do, how to transfer an image file from your camera to your computer.
AND produce a simple crib sheet - do it by numbers, along these lines:-

1) Take photos.
2) Plug card into reader.
3) Plug reader into PC.
4) Transfer image file.
5)

I can't help remotely - but you need to know which folder the image files get transferred to.

You need  to know how to view the images - there are aps built into the Windows 10 operating system, or you may want to open images with some sort of photo editing ap (Like PhotoShop or Gimp).

Once you've been taken through the process a couple of times and with your crib sheet transferring images becomes 2nd nature.

Transferring images from a phone camera could be easier.
You just select the image and email it to yourself.
You then open the email on your PC and decide where on the computer you want to save the photo.

:snappy

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2021, 11:35:03 AM »

Here's a tip for everyone.

I use a dot of red nail varnish (don't ask) on the USB connecting cable and the camera socket so you can more easily tell which way up the plug goes.
It's not so easy to tell which way the plug goes on these small sockets.

When I plug in my camera, a box comes up on the screen showing the folder where the camera images are.
From there you can transfer the images to a folder of your choice for latter view or photo editing.
Once the images are safely on your computer you can delete them off the camera.

:photo

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2021, 06:46:32 AM »

1) Take photos.
3) Plug reader into PC.
4) Transfer image file.

Hi Alan,

That's what I did.

No I didn't .... I plugged the reader into PC, THEN, plugged the card into reader. Should that make any difference?

I assume my conversion to a WINDOWS 10 PC is irrelevent?

Don't bother answering, I'll experiment after brekky.

Mowersman

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2021, 07:37:13 AM »

1) Take photos.
3) Plug reader into PC.
4) Transfer image file.

Hi Alan,

That's what I did.

No I didn't .... I plugged the reader into PC, THEN, plugged the card into reader. Should that make any difference?

I assume my conversion to a WINDOWS 10 PC is irrelevent?

Should make no difference which order steps 2 and 3 are in. Also should work just fine in any version of Windows.
Andrew
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 27 queries.